A&H

Sin Bins - 17/18 Season

I'm not sure why people are saying this will attract further dissent? From what I read in the mail contained in the OP, the caution is still a caution - the player is just "paying" for the caution with 10 minutes off the pitch rather than filling the CFA's coffers with £10. So if that player comes back on and is still being gobby etc, a second caution would be accompanied with a red and off he goes. How many matches do we think it would take players to learn that if they give a mouthful to the referee they'll be sat on the sidelines; and whilst they - and any other team mates that join them - are sat there they are giving the opposition an opportunity to score.

And as for "managing it", as I've said before, get the managers to do the "multiple" time-keeping.

But the players won't learn. FIFA and the FA are once again trying to instil respect from grass roots upwards instead of growing a pair of b***ocks and clamping down at the highest level. If premier league players were being sanctioned correctly for dissent every week then the message will cascade down to grass roots effectively.
I honestly can't remember ever cautioning a player twice in one game both for dissent so I honestly think they'll be treating this as a cost free pop at referees.

The Referee Store
But the players won't learn. FIFA and the FA are once again trying to instil respect from grass roots upwards instead of growing a pair of b***ocks and clamping down at the highest level. If premier league players were being sanctioned correctly for dissent every week then the message will cascade down to grass roots effectively.
I honestly can't remember ever cautioning a player twice in one game both for dissent so I honestly think they'll be treating this as a cost free pop at referees.
That's another discussion, and I agree - the FA should grow a pair and consistently and continually enforce from the top down.

I'm not sure why people are saying this will attract further dissent? From what I read in the mail contained in the OP, the caution is still a caution - the player is just "paying" for the caution with 10 minutes off the pitch rather than filling the CFA's coffers with £10. So if that player comes back on and is still being gobby etc, a second caution would be accompanied with a red and off he goes. How many matches do we think it would take players to learn that if they give a mouthful to the referee they'll be sat on the sidelines; and whilst they - and any other team mates that join them - are sat there they are giving the opposition an opportunity to score.

And as for "managing it", as I've said before, get the managers to do the "multiple" time-keeping.

Sorry for a second their I thought you said get the managers to manage the dismissal.......oh wait!!!!!!

The reason I gave for it "possibly" increasing dissent is because it may actually discourage certain ref's from issuing the dissent caution as they don't want to have to handle the dismissal or issues one and then doesn't issue the second to prevent the headache it would cause.

Without answering on @Padfoot 's behalf I think the point he was making is that the dissent could then increase on the side-line if the player is not allowed on when they believe he should be allowed too.

More problems than solutions for me, in fact I would go as far as to say I hate the idea.

Does the minimum players on the pitch abandonment kick in or do you have to wait till the extra 10 minutes expire to get back up to the right numbers??? And then un-abandon it !!!

Why are there alot of people on here using any old excuse they can to explain how this is a bad idea?!?

It's a bloody good idea and will be easy to manage. It is a deterrent and it will work. That's with my players hat on, my managers hat and and my referees hat on.

I fully endorse it. It will reduce dissent and it will make players think before gobbing off because they will have a whole team having a pop at them because they become disadvantaged. It's not surprising to see certain people tarring this new initiative. It's the exact people id have expected to be negative about it who are li
ving up to my expectation.

How hard is it to log ten minutes? We look at our watches all the time! Those using smart watches, no doubt app providers will update their apps with this function extremely quickly.

It's change, it's good change and it should be supported. It's law after all!!!

As a registration secretary for my league, I'm delighted that the committee have requested that they be one of the first leagues to trial it.

Last edited:
Why are there alot of people on here using any old excuse they can to explain how this is a bad idea?!?

My reasoning isn't an "excuse" it's my opinion. I was just trying to debate my opinion.
If this change does come in I'm sure I'll be able to work out the 10 minute thing easily enough but I can't believe it will reduce dissent in any way shape or form.
Also, after a few weeks the county FAs will start wondering where their regular £10 contributions have gone and might rethink this.

It's a bloody good idea and will be easy to manage. It is a deterrent and it will work. That's with my players hat on, my managers hat and and my referees hat on.

I fully endorse it. It will reduce dissent and it will make players think before gobbing off because they will have a whole team having a pop at them because they become disadvantaged. It's not surprising to see certain people tarring this new initiative. It's the exact people id have expected to be negative about it who are li
ving up to my expectation.

How hard is it to log ten minutes? We look at our watches all the time! Those using smart watches, no doubt app providers will update their apps with this function extremely quickly.

It's change, it's good change and it should be supported. It's law after all!!!

As a registration secretary for my league, I'm delighted that the committee have requested that they be one of the first leagues to trial it.

@PP62 just took the words from my mouth, its an opinion not an excuse. In my opinion its a bad idea.

Just out of interest, if managing this will be so easy. How do manage the multiple dismissals? I know I am playing devils advocate here as it doesn't happen often. But if you have more than one player off the pitch, then how do you keep tack of who has been off and for what length of time?

My reasoning isn't an "excuse" it's my opinion. I was just trying to debate my opinion.
If this change does come in I'm sure I'll be able to work out the 10 minute thing easily enough but I can't believe it will reduce dissent in any way shape or form.
Also, after a few weeks the county FAs will start wondering where their regular £10 contributions have gone and might rethink this.
It just seems people are focussing more on the issues they think it can cause.

@PP62 just took the words from my mouth, its an opinion not an excuse. In my opinion its a bad idea.

Just out of interest, if managing this will be so easy. How do manage the multiple dismissals? I know I am playing devils advocate here as it doesn't happen often. But if you have more than one player off the pitch, then how do you keep tack of who has been off and for what length of time?
You make a note and you watch your clock. If you have neutral assistants, you use them.
You will have managers harping on on the touchline "That's ten minutes ref"... Just have a look at the note you made, look at your watch and you'll realise that they were probably right and that the ten minutes has elapsed.

It just seems people are focussing more on the issues they think it can cause.

You make a note and you watch your clock. If you have neutral assistants, you use them.
You will have managers harping on on the touchline "That's ten minutes ref"... Just have a look at the note you made, look at your watch and you'll realise that they were probably right and that the ten minutes has elapsed.

You make it sound so easy. Without neutral assistants and with more than one player in the "sin bin" it will be a nightmare.

Seeing as it has never been tried before then all we can do is focus on the issues we think it can cause.

For those saying, and debating, that they don't believe this will reduce dissent, fair comment. For those that are thinking up the worst case scenarios that are likely to happen in 1 in 10,000 games and they themselves will never experience, and citing that as the reason why this should not be introduced... well, words fail me. It's like saying you would never take a job as cabin crew on a plane because, if it crashes, the stats are you are extremely unlikely to survive; you conveniently ignore the stats that say flying is one of the safest forms of transport there is, because planes very rarely crash. At the same time, there are procedures written up to cover if a plane does crash, and the aircrew are trained in how to implement those procedures. Talking about what will happen if you have sufficient players in the sin bin that you go below the minimum players allowed on the FOP, and therefore what a bad idea this is (as an example)... how many times has anyone on this forum ever had to abandon because of going below the minimum number of players, and what does that work out at as a percentage of games we've all covered? Get the rules in place, learn the implementation of the rules, crack on.

Not to mention the fact that once they realise they are heading off for 10 mins, or their team mates realise they are down to 10, this will inevitably invite more dissent towards the referee.......
Why would it? This actually provides a disadvantage to the team. Dissent from the same player? Then it should be written in a way that dissent while on the sin-bin means can be carded. So, sin bin and a card for the particularly thick players.
Other players dissent? Join him in the sinbin and enjoy watching the opponents carve up your 8 or 9 player team.

You make it sound so easy. Without neutral assistants and with more than one player in the "sin bin" it will be a nightmare.

Seeing as it has never been tried before then all we can do is focus on the issues we think it can cause.
what will be so hard about it?
Write in your notebook - White 10, 37th minute. Red 8, 42nd minute.

What is going to be hilarious is when a player, running back on from the sinbin, makes a smart comment as he runs past. Back to your chair, boyo!!!

We already manage multiple players in the bin (well, kind of - teams can replace a sent off player after 2min) without assistance in Futsal.

Are you not able to multi-task? Once you bin one, this will send a message to the others. I do not think you will get as many in the bin as you think. Yes, there will be times when you have multiple people in there; but you adapt and develop a way to manage it.

But I don't think it will reduce dissent.
Initially, I agree. But you wait until teams start dropping points, losing games and titles. You wait until the same player is dropping his team in the s*** each week. It will soon send out a message!

For those saying, and debating, that they don't believe this will reduce dissent, fair comment. For those that are thinking up the worst case scenarios that are likely to happen in 1 in 10,000 games and they themselves will never experience, and citing that as the reason why this should not be introduced... well, words fail me. It's like saying you would never take a job as cabin crew on a plane because, if it crashes, the stats are you are extremely unlikely to survive; you conveniently ignore the stats that say flying is one of the safest forms of transport there is, because planes very rarely crash. At the same time, there are procedures written up to cover if a plane does crash, and the aircrew are trained in how to implement those procedures. Talking about what will happen if you have sufficient players in the sin bin that you go below the minimum players allowed on the FOP, and therefore what a bad idea this is (as an example)... how many times has anyone on this forum ever had to abandon because of going below the minimum number of players, and what does that work out at as a percentage of games we've all covered? Get the rules in place, learn the implementation of the rules, crack on.

Spot on. Adapt and overcome. Welcome and embrace change. Football is changing with the times, unfortunately some just don't want to move at the same pace and in the same direction.
I wear two watches, each have multiple functions where you can use a stopwatch and timer at the same time. There's two sin bin times sorted with an alarm. Again, those with smart-watches will be able to deal with this no problem.

Welcome and embrace change!!! Why should something be welcomed that is an absolute dogs dinner! Its like Phillip Hammond announcing a change to the Self employed tax scheme, he asked them to 'Welcome and Embrace it' and when they realised it was a vote loser they did a quick about turn and dropped it!!! I'll give it 2-3 years!!

All the establishment fan boys jumping in to defend the latest fiasco from the FA to be foist on to Grassroots referees.......it will work at professional level, and will be an absolute disaster at grassroots level....but who cares, because the FA certainly stopped caring about grassroots referees a long time ago.
I wholeheartedly support it's trial in the professional game, with 4 officials to manage the fallout, but it needs to be kept far away from Sunday mornings.

It will not reduce dissent, it will increase it. What will happen is that referees will simply stop bothering to enforce dissent sanctions....too much hassle, not enough back up. Leagues that introduce this will see discipline decline as referees stop bothering. I suppose it might see things go anotjher way....referee's just start banging out red cards for S6....either way, discipline stats for the leagues go down.

Hope that Nike will be making a kit with a pocket big enough for the soon to be required A4 notebook?

I look forward to observing referees on leagues operating this ridiculous system and seeing how much it screws their promotion season up.

For all the complaints about this increasing dissent - I think that's unlikely. Probably less likely than the increase in dissent we can get once we start booking for dissent.

I'd say that some teams will take the loss of a player seriously. Because it now means that dissent can cause a team to lose a game.

But it won't change the culture of abuse. The only thing that can change that is a top-down, zero-tolerance policy, started at the top levels and enforced strongly by all assessors, mentors and coaches. But while we still have this idea that 'referees shouldn't be seen' and all this other associated crap, that'll never happen.

Are there tablets available for agreeing wholeheartedly with Padfoot.....:angel:
Yes, but they're not legally allowed to test them on humans.

All the establishment fan boys jumping in ...
Yawn. Establishment fan boys? What an absolute load of ********. Just because somebody disagrees with you doesn't make them an unthinking idiot.

Last edited:
Reactions: DB
Just reading peoples profile pics and apparently Padfoot is the Enlightened one and myself and CaptBirdseye are Well-Known Members. :( Are these awards bestowed by the Mods or can we all chose one! :cool:

Establishment Fan boy?!? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rofl::rofl:

Welcome and embrace change!!! Why should something be welcomed that is an absolute dogs dinner! Its like Phillip Hammond announcing a change to the Self employed tax scheme, he asked them to 'Welcome and Embrace it' and when they realised it was a vote loser they did a quick about turn and dropped it!!! I'll give it 2-3 years!!
Think of it from another angle other than your own... Have you ever played or managed?!? Or have you always been a referee?

Without wanting to get into the wrongs and rights of it, a number of the points being raised here are covered in the documents already published by the IFAB. Some of those items are:
The referee should include in the temporary dismissal period any time ‘lost’ for a
stoppage for which ‘additional time’ will be allowed at the end of the half (e.g.
substitution, injury etc...)
[...]
• If a temporary dismissal period has not been completed at the end of the first half (or
the end of the second half when extra time is to be played) the remaining part of the
temporary dismissal period is served from the start of the second half (start of extra
time)
[...]
• A temporarily dismissed player who commits a cautionable (YC) or sending-off (RC)
offence during their temporary dismissal period will take no further part in the match
and may not be replaced or substituted
Also (and this is where it starts to get even more complicated) some things work quite differently depending on whether System A or System B is being used. The most notable difference (for me) is that under System A (every caution also gets a temporary dismissal):
A player who commits a 2nd caution (YC) in the same match: will receive a second temporary dismissal and then takes no further part in the match
On the other hand, under System B (only some cautions lead to a temporary dismissal):
A player who has received a caution (YC) and then receives a temporary dismissal can
continue playing after the end of the temporary dismissal period

This for me, is where the whole thing starts to get a bit fraught. As I read the published documentation, it appears different competitions can use different systems and System B itself has multiple variations (in that each competition can decide on exactly which cautionable offences lead to a temporary dismissal and which don't).

So potentially, a referee who is involved in three different competitions might have to read, memorise and implement three different sets of temporary dismissal offences, one for each competition.

Last edited:
Back