A&H

Sin Bins - are you finding they help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they have been a fantastic introduction to junior and youth football.

Higher up the spectrum i go and watch my local side in North West Counties so step 5 i think, ive been to 15 or so games this season and have seen the sin bin used once, i dont think refs at this level are using them at all.

The Referee Store
I am finding at step 5 it is not that it isn't being used, its that it isn't needed. The player seem tuned into the consequences of dissent. Remember these lads will be getting paid to play and it makes no sense to get sin binned, dropped from the team and then not get paid.
Of course that might not be the truth everywhere but that has been my experience so far. Its interesting really as until this season I would have said dissent at its worst at step 5

When I do the pre-match equipment check I remind all of the players about sinbins and tell them not to put me in a position where I may have to implement it. So if they disagree with a decision not to do or say anything. It is working for me only had to use it twice so far this season as I am getting far less dissent.

I am finding at step 5 it is not that it isn't being used, its that it isn't needed. The player seem tuned into the consequences of dissent. Remember these lads will be getting paid to play and it makes no sense to get sin binned, dropped from the team and then not get paid.
Of course that might not be the truth everywhere but that has been my experience so far. Its interesting really as until this season I would have said dissent at its worst at step 5

Agree, I've only seen two sin bins when observing at step 5 and they were both in the same game.

Thats good t hear, do you think its genuinely "quietened down" then ?

Coming back to this one “drawback” I’ve encountered is teams increasingly asking for a sin bin for the opposition for the slightest comment.

At the moment it’s an irritation, usually dealt with by telling them to cut it out, but it’s a bit like the waving of an imaginary card

My C2 count is incidentally higher this season. Looking back, every one of them (7) have come in the last 5 minutes or so. Maybe players are not as daft as referees might think, because dissent at the death attracts negligible downside and no fine

The FAW are looking to trial sin bins next season but it appears far too complicated.
Looking at the guide chart a player can effectively get 3 cautions before they are sent off i.e. Dissent - Non-Dissent - 2nd non-dissent.
If I was a player I'd take 10 mins sin bin any day over a fine!

The FAW are looking to trial sin bins next season but it appears far too complicated.
Looking at the guide chart a player can effectively get 3 cautions before they are sent off i.e. Dissent - Non-Dissent - 2nd non-dissent.
This is my first season using them and they haven't been as bad as I expected. It's rare that too many players end up in the sin bin at the same time (but it has happened a few times in my games, middling and on the line). I think the bit that everyone's not used to, is referees having different tolerance levels for dissent, OFFINABUS and no offence.

I was on the line a couple of weeks ago and a team had two players in the SB. Both returned, shook hands with the ref and apologised, which probably wouldn't have happened before sin bins

I have done 4 youth sin bins and nobody has scored while the player was missing. Goals being scored against while a player is off is the only way i can see of measuring the effect.

No change for me in attitude from players.

Does this mean it is or isn't working?

I have done 4 youth sin bins and nobody has scored while the player was missing. Goals being scored against while a player is off is the only way i can see of measuring the effect.

No change for me in attitude from players.

Does this mean it is or isn't working?
Had the opposite - 2-0 in the 75th minute. Winning team had a SB and they conceded two in that time. Finished 2-2

I've used the sin bin 3 times in anger. Twice the players have apologised after the match that they acted the way they did. I'm broadly in favour as the peer pressure from other players is effective in discouraging dissent.

Very rare to have to issue multiple dissent cards so whilst the technicalities seem complicated you will rarely have need to implement them.

Last edited:
As a Canadian, I'm missing a POWER PLAYYYYY whenever a team has a man in the bin. Might take a klaxon out for the next sinbin, give it a sense of drama and entertainment much missing from the Dog & Duck League

My C2 count has gone nuclear since Sin Bins appeared on the scene, especially in the last ten minutes when losing players (with more than two or three neurons and a similar scoreline deficit) have cottoned onto the idea of a 'free pop'

Last edited:
As a Canadian, I'm missing a POWER PLAYYYYY whenever a team has a man in the bin. Might take a klaxon out for the next sinbin, give it a sense of drama and entertainment much missing from the Dog & Duck League

failing that, you could record me screaming “Cheerio” at the top of my lungs and play that.

My C2 count has gone nuclear since Sin Bins appeared on the scene, especially in the last ten minutes when losing players (with more than two or three neurons) have cottoned onto the idea of a 'free pop'

It's not quite a 'free' pop as it does count against a player's totting up score and a club's caution tally. Just send them to the bin; at least you don't have to worry about recording when they can return :)

It's not quite a 'free' pop as it does count against a player's totting up score and a club's caution tally. Just send them to the bin; at least you don't have to worry about recording when they can return :)
They'd need four or five brain cells to figure that bit out 😆

They've been in the leagues I do for a few seasons now and I find it really helps. You will always get those players who just don't care and will give it no matter what the punishment. But for the most part I really feel it's made a difference. Most players seem to get really annoyed with the guy in the SB and after one SB (I've only done about 4 all season) it definitely adds a lot more control, with players telling their own team to shut up and stop making comments.

One question though, what is the punishment for dissent for a substitute? Just a normal yellow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back