Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ocassionally

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • They don't apply to the competition(s)/level I officiate on

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

george.g

Level 5 Referee
Just had an email from the FA, about a significant reduction in the number of SinBins being used since the pandemic, as opposed to normal dissent cautions.

I put a poll up just out of interest as to who actually uses them regularly here, but I know plenty of grassroots referee's who have no idea about the SinBin, or choose not to apply it, so this trend doesn't surprise me at all.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
I use them fairly regularly, but based on the genuine surpise from players/coaches when I do I can't say that the fact that they're not being used as much as they should be is a shock.

I'd be intrigued to know why referees are favouring normal dissent cautions given that you have to explain why a sin bin wasn't used on WGS and not using them is, in effect, failing to follow the correct procedure.

I used them often when they first came out, but I have a generally high tolerance for moaning so my usage dropped massively.

Last few weeks I've used them a few times to try and get myself back in the habit and I don't really know if they work as well as the fa want them to or think they do.

It's never been brought up in any observations though about abuse in matches so maybe I'm not experiencing as much as other refs.

Hate being picky but on an official edict from the FA "Foul and abusive language is still a red card" ??!! :rolleyes: :eek:

Yes we can accept fans and pundits using out dated terminology but the FA - espcially in an email sent to referees!

I was on the line this week, player got a sin bin caution (after multiple warnings) for moaning about where a free kick was...for his team, as he walked off he shouted "F off ref, you've been s all game" - obviously he then got a red for his troubles!

I would argue so few players know about them. Not a single player, of the 8 I've SinBinned, as known that they have to spend 8/10 mins off. How can it be a threat to players if they don't know it exists?

C2 Sin Bin is a lot more penal than C2
Paradoxically, I'm sure this has had the unintended consequence that a lot of Referees don't use the Sin Bin because they're nervous about doing so and the potential consequences (backlash)
So the FA can say 'Dissent is Down', but we all know that's hardly plausible

It does seem a useful email to me in terms of encouraging consistent application of sin bins.
However it probably doesn't help that they aren't used at higher levels of the game, doesn't inspire confidence in the concept.

Paradoxically, I'm sure this has had the unintended consequence that a lot of Referees don't use the Sin Bin because they're nervous about doing so and the potential consequences (backlash)
So the FA can say 'Dissent is Down', but we all know that's hardly plausible
I think the email says quite the opposite
Clearly saying sin bin usage is down, but the encouragement to use it seems to be a nod to the fact that dissent is still at high levels and reminding referees of the tools to use.

A remit off dissent being almost completely ignored at PL level yet pushed at grass roots will not work. It must be across the board to have a serious impact. We must empower those at grass roots by having the example set at PL level. This will ensure expectations from all involved that dissent = card/sin-bin. That isn't the case currently

It’s in my managers chat at the start of the game and with captains .. ‘we have sin bins in use should I need to use them’

I use them much better than I did last season. In each of my observations this season I’ve used them and assessors were pleased.

Finding that since Christmas I’m needing them more!

Think they are a deterrent but wish more referees would use them.

I’ve been out injured all this season, but last season I probably averaged 2-3 sin bins a game.

I didn’t think that I’d like them when they were first introduced, but the threat of being a man down for 10 minutes does seem to focus captains when I’m using the stepped approach.

Of course, plenty of players just can’t take the hint which is why is why my numbers were quite high.

I referred today having read this post..

I like sin bins.

I referee in a really nice league at the moment but today I had a bit of stick. I publicly warned two players of there lack of respect and told them they would end up in the bin if they continued and neither said anything after that..

My CFA last month released the total number of sin bins issued so far this season… it turns I’ve given more than 5% of the county’s sin bins so I reckon they’re not being used as much as they could be round here!

I like sin bins although:
- The constant queries of how long of the 10mins is left is rather irritating…
- About half of the players who get sin binned don’t understand what the rules are as some refs aren’t using them
- I’d personally bring back fines for dissent for those who are sin binned, you’d hope it would act as even more of a deterrent
- Dissent needs to be punished at a higher level for it to work

I'd tend to agree.

Before the Sin Bin came out, dissent was a simple, show the yellow and get on with the game/restart.
Now, a referee is required to be more "confrontational" to the player and is effectively issuing a temporary red card (even though it's yellow) and instructing the player to leave the field.

Having been out of refereeing (back injury) since before Christmas, I've been enjoying going along to a few local grass roots games on Saturdays. From what I've seen, it seems to me that some referees have simply "downgraded" an OFFINABUS red, in favour of calling it "dissent" and using the Sin Bin. Only my opinion of course but this reticence shown by referees to use the Sin Bin is clearly reflected elsewhere and is surely counter-productive.
As I recall, the whole ethos behind bringing the Sin Bin into (Step 5 and below) football was to reduce the incidence of it and in turn (over time I guess) reduce the negative experience impact that it was having on referees. By failing to use the Sin Bin appropriately, referees really aren't helping themselves ... :hmmm:

I'd tend to agree.

Before the Sin Bin came out, dissent was a simple, show the yellow and get on with the game/restart.
Now, a referee is required to be more "confrontational" to the player and is effectively issuing a temporary red card (even though it's yellow) and instructing the player to leave the field.

Having been out of refereeing (back injury) since before Christmas, I've been enjoying going along to a few local grass roots games on Saturdays. From what I've seen, it seems to me that some referees have simply "downgraded" an OFFINABUS red, in favour of calling it "dissent" and using the Sin Bin. Only my opinion of course but this reticence shown by referees to use the Sin Bin is clearly reflected elsewhere and is surely counter-productive.
As I recall, the whole ethos behind bringing the Sin Bin into (Step 5 and below) football was to reduce the incidence of it and in turn (over time I guess) reduce the negative experience impact that it was having on referees. By failing to use the Sin Bin appropriately, referees really aren't helping themselves ... :hmmm:
Very much agree
Adding to that, effective use of the Sin Bin is quite an 'advanced competency'. The 'Stepped Approach' takes practice and a mis-timed Sin Bin (too early or too late) can make matters worse for the Referee

Back