A&H

Solihull Moors v Blackpool

markref

Again the “experts” show a complete lack of basic knowledge. Solihull goal correctly ruled out for offside when a player stops the ball for the kicker to kick again, while standing on the goal line. Decision met with derision because “the ball never went forward!”

The Referee Store
Very alert by the AR. It’s easy to be slow with those ones right next to you, but the flag went up the moment he kicked the ball, making it easy to disallow the goal.

There was a good teaching opportunity missed. The commentator read the section of law 11. Dion Dublin was a professional for 20 years but obviously never realised “ the ball is played by or touches” does not state the ball has to move in any direction at all, let alone forward, and said that maybe it moved forward by a blade of grass! That would have been a good time to say “I don’t think it actually says anything about going forward!”

I know their job is entertainment not instruction, but not making stupid comments that show a basic lack of understanding must surely help with this.

What I love about this is that although any ref worth their salt could tell you this is offside, it takes a very alert one to actually call it. Bravo AR! Certainly gives us another thing to think about during corners in our games, one more thing that will (rightfully) be in the back of my mind now.

Back