A&H

Some players don't learn....

Andy A

Incident yesterday when I was on the line.

Close offside decision but he was offside. Flag goes up, ref blows.

The offender walking back was not happy and says:

Player: Are you sure Lino?

Me: Yes, close but you were just off.

Player: P*ss off. (Said towards me in neither an aggressive manner or friendly tone.

I put my finger to my lips. Then he goes off on one.

Player: You can't tell me to shush, only the ref can. (This was said in a fairly aggressive manner)

Me: I am a match official and I can ask you to be quiet. (said very calmly)

Player: P*ss off.

I wave my flag to get the ref over, tell him exactly what happened and he books him for dissent.

As I said, you can't help some players.

Just one question, I am allowed to ask somebody to be quiet when running the line? He has made me doubt myself, when I'm 99.9% sure I can.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
from what ive been told when i'm Assisting, communication is actively encouraged... that would also encompass keeping players discipline in check.
Like you say, you cant help some players, you were in effect trying to do him a favour..... '' keep quiet or you will pick up a caution ''

Absolutely you can - I've had some referees tell me specifically to try and build up a rapport with the left back and explain offside decisions to him where possible.

Same with goalkeepers if they're pushing their luck with GK ball placement or their fly kicks - you're definitely encouraged to warn them they need to move back before flagging and causing a difficult incident.

Interesting, but was Caution the right thing here. Twice he told you to p*** off, and you relaid this to your ref. So isn't/shouldn't it be a Red or was it cause it came from you and not heard by the ref?

Last edited:
It depends on what's said but the decision about what the sanction should be is the referees alone. we cold advise them that we think a foul is worthy of a caution, be we can't force them to do it.

For what it's worth, a caution sounds right for this to me.

Thanks for the input as always gents..

It depends on what's said but the decision about what the sanction should be is the referees alone. we cold advise them that we think a foul is worthy of a caution, be we can't force them to do it.

For what it's worth, a caution sounds right for this to me.

Yes in this situation I agreed with the ref, however if it had been the 'f' word then I would have been asking for him to be binned and not just yellow carded. At the end of the day though I believe we can only advise him on what to do. Although usually they will go with what you say.

I had a line last week where a player went through the keeper, the ref gave the foul but came over to ask me whether it was reckless or excessive. I said in my opinion it was reckless so he just gave him a yellow - basically he left it up to me if I'd have said excessive he would have binned him.

can i just add a little aside though, for me maybe putting your finger to your lips, hmm i dunno , maybe that can be misread as a little disresepctful... in your head you may be saying one thing, but from the players point of view he could interpret your body language as slightly demeaning... in which case his reaction, whilst still completely unjustified, you could say has been induced by an official

can i just add a little aside though, for me maybe putting your finger to your lips, hmm i dunno , maybe that can be misread as a little disresepctful... in your head you may be saying one thing, but from the players point of view he could interpret your body language as slightly demeaning... in which case his reaction, whilst still completely unjustified, you could say has been induced by an official

I hadn't actually thought about it in this way, food for thought. Thanks for putting it out there.

As I already stated, I left it completely up to the referee. He did give him a stern rollicking before producing the yellow.

No! One or the other never a yellow unless he managed to class it as something else than offinabus.

Good advice. I would add, don't be a wallflower. Tell the player to shut up and get on with the game and if he wants to disrespect you then he will earn his card properly.

No! One or the other never a yellow unless he managed to class it as something else than offinabus.
I'd say that's pretty clear dissent to me? The player is clearly arguing with a decision, and I don't think the language used is really harsh enough to consider OFFINABUS unless previous warnings have already been given.

I'd say that's pretty clear dissent to me? The player is clearly arguing with a decision, and I don't think the language used is really harsh enough to consider OFFINABUS unless previous warnings have already been given.

Agreed, I have already stated it was for dissent in the opening post.

I don't consider the word he used to be a very bad swear word if at all, like I said earlier if he had said the 'f' word variant then I would have wanted him binned.

Good advice. I would add, don't be a wallflower. Tell the player to shut up and get on with the game and if he wants to disrespect you then he will earn his card properly.
Please don't tell the player to shut up! Stay calm, stay respectful and deal with it.

One of the biggest issues I have faced this summer in my role with Respect in Cornwall is that of referees attitudes toward such players. If a player is giving you jip, do not say anything to him where, if he said that same thing to you, he'd be reprimanded! A player telling me to shut up, only a month ago got his marching orders! Don't be rude, don't be disrespectful, I know it's hard to stay calm and nice... but be the bigger person, which is what you need to be in these situations.

I had it last week, flagged a free kick against the right winger and he wasn't happy. Moan number 1, explained what I had given. Moan number 2, re-iterated my previous point and politely told him to go away. Moan number 3, pointed out that enough was enough and if he even so much as muttered another word I'd be calling the ref over. Moan number 4, flag goes up, referee comes over and he gets a caution.

Please don't tell the player to shut up! Stay calm, stay respectful and deal with it.

One of the biggest issues I have faced this summer in my role with Respect in Cornwall is that of referees attitudes toward such players. If a player is giving you jip, do not say anything to him where, if he said that same thing to you, he'd be reprimanded! A player telling me to shut up, only a month ago got his marching orders! Don't be rude, don't be disrespectful, I know it's hard to stay calm and nice... but be the bigger person, which is what you need to be in these situations.

I 100% agree with the sentiment, I am not disrespectful but forthright and whatever i say I do so in a calm but firm manner. Saying "shut up player, let's get on with the game" is fine for me and works most of the time. The player knows I won't accept any of his nonsense and we get on with it.

I see we have huge differences in tolerance, and from the other thread where some people get upset by certain words it is clear there is no black and white solution. If a player tells me to shut up, I certainly wouldn't send them but it most likely would be a caution.

Maybe things are different in the South West, but in Essex/East London if I was so sensitive to player behaviour we just wouldn't finish a game. I've been out with L3s this year who tell players to F off (one to one, not shouted) and when I ask them about it they all say the same thing about having to meet players at a certain level to control them. Saying "please be quiet player" or similar just doesn't work and invites a further response which forces you into a caution.

Reactions: DB
I agree. I see it as I will show no disrespect to you (the player) and I will have no disrespect shown to me as a referee. I won't be told to shut up/f*** off etc. Again, I have to be seen dealing with this down here. You may have heard of a recent assault on a referee down in Cornwall recently involving ex Professional Marcus Martin, he basically choke slammed the referee. The CFA have taken massive steps to curb abusive behaviour towards match officials. I was one of four people with the CFA to visit all of the clubs; senior, junior, youth, women etc at various locations across the South-west. One off the points that came up was Respect has to work both ways. I absolutely agree. The important thing is that you are seen dealing with it.

I believe that culture and location do play a big part.

Had a captain call my CAR a f'kin cheating CNUT, he gave a throw in but pointed the wrong way. I pointed the correct way and said Bye bye...he ran straight over the the ref sec 60 yard away pleading his case (as if that matters) and he agreed that he'd of sent him off too

Had a captain call my CAR a f'kin cheating CNUT, he gave a throw in but pointed the wrong way. I pointed the correct way and said Bye bye...he ran straight over the the ref sec 60 yard away pleading his case (as if that matters) and he agreed that he'd of sent him off too

This has just made me think, we all know if we get called a cheat then they are binned. However, what if a player says to a CAR (without swearing) "You're a cheat you are"

What are we supposed to do in law?

Back