A&H

Southend v Barnsley

Offisde or Not

• Yep, lino spot on

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No, not offside for my liking.

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters
Not sure about the UK, but here in Canada the direction changed about a year ago for situations like this.

Previous to that change in direction, the AR was to "statue" when that ball goes into the goal, and then give the referee the information that players were in an offside position. The AR's angle here is impossible to tell whether those players interfere with or impact the defender on the line. All the AR knows is that they're CLEARLY in an offside position. The referee's job becomes "did they interfere with or impact the opponent's ability to play that ball?" If the referee deemed that the players in offside position interfered, then the flag goes up, whistle goes, IFK.

The change of direction (Aug 2017 I think it was?) was that the AR should now raise the flag and "own the offside". In most cases, the referee can tell who is in an offside position and can make the determination immediately as to whether there was actually an offence, and make the call immediately.

The reasoning for the change of direction is pretty much what @one just identified... credibility.

The Referee Store
No interference for me:
1543932665321.png
They don't touch the ball or the defender and they don't block anybody's line of vision. GOAL.

Because there was a side-detour about mechanics here, because AR and Referee have vastly differing information, as evidenced by the two differing videos.

I now see that after reading more of the posts, I jumped in on the first clip but its still a goal regardless. No issue with th AR flagging as we know proximity becomes obscured in these cases but no impact for me between goal scorer, team mate and defenders ability or lack of to do anything

Is it not possible he has flagged for a handball, one of those two attackers seem to possibly 'handball' as the ball makes its way to the scorer.

GK seems to appeal for that.

I'm not sure its handball or offside but the handball is another possibility?

Is it not possible he has flagged for a handball, one of those two attackers seem to possibly 'handball' as the ball makes its way to the scorer.

I would hope its not a flag for handball, for me, not credible for the AR to get involved in that, MAYBE a shout over the comms "are you sure thats not handball", but for me, certainly not a flag for a handball offence here is wanted from the AR. I would not accept it if I was referee and I would be raging if that was his call

I would hope its not a flag for handball, for me, not credible for the AR to get involved in that, MAYBE a shout over the comms "are you sure thats not handball", but for me, certainly not a flag for a handball offence here is wanted from the AR. I would not accept it if I was referee and I would be raging if that was his call
Also not the correct signal for handball.

Back