A&H

SPA and Advantage

NOVARef

So in my son's U17 match, a kid deliberately pulls on the shirt of an attacker to try to stop the attack but the attacker shakes him off. The referee yells advantage. The same defender catches up to him a second later and again tugs on his shirt. The attacker shakes him off. Again, the referee yells advantage. The attacker passes the ball to a teammate who shoots and misses for a goal kick. During the stoppage of play, the referee tracks down and gives the defender a yellow card. So immediately I thought the referee was wrong, but it made me wonder....could there be a reason to give a YC here? Could he have looked at it as something other than SPA, such as persistent infringement or something or do you think the referee was just plan wrong to give the YC for SPA. Thanks.

The Referee Store
It would be wrong to issue a YC for SPA if an advantage has accrued. If one of the pulls could be deemed reckless then you could caution for this. If it is a blatant offence and the game expects a caution then you can caution for Unspecified USB.

It would be wrong to issue a YC for SPA if an advantage has accrued. If one of the pulls could be deemed reckless then you could caution for this. If it is a blatant offence and the game expects a caution then you can caution for Unspecified USB.
So yes, it was very blatant but not reckless...I was also thinking an Unspecified USB but I wasn't sure since he did yell advantage and an advantage occurred. Thanks.

Elleray responded last year, his answers are in " ".
After seeing recent Q&As would've replaced prolonged with blatant

Can prolonged shirt pulling be considered unsporting behaviour in it's own right or does it need to stop or interfere with a promising attack?

"It could be USB in its own right especially if it provokes a notable reaction"

If it can be unsporting behaviour in it's own right then can you answer the below scenarios?

1) If an advantage is played on a shirt pulling offence that would've stopped a promising attack if play was stopped, can the player still be cautioned if the referee considered it to be unsporting behaviour?

"In theory it could but the ‘spirit’ of the Law would not expect a caution, which might be difficult to justify"

2) An advantage is played from a shirt pulling offence that involves a non-promising attack, can the player be cautioned for unsporting behaviour?

" Yes, it could but in the same way that every ‘foul’ is not a caution then every shirt pull is not a caution"

No idea - just had the impression that it was a USB category.

If it's not in the LOTG then I guess not.

Thanks for teaching me something today 😊
The USB caution codes are just used by the FA, they aren't a LOTG thing.

The point is that law is very clear that you cannot caution for an SPA foul if you play advantage. So unless the challenge was reckless you don't go back to caution, on the basis that the foul didn't stop a promising attack as it still happened.

Back