A&H

Spurs handball ???

Zimmyman

Ok hand ball given against Danny Rose unententional !! So why the yellow card ? Surely lust a PK ? Have I got it wrong or is every handball in the box a caution?? Help please

The Referee Store
Cancel my comment. The YC don't make sense
Anyone?

Last edited:
Not every HB is a yellow (see long thread earlier this week) - but I think this is as it’s a shot and therefore promising.

Handling isn't an attempt to play the ball. DOGSO-H doesn't get downgraded to a yellow and SPA handling doesn't get downgraded to no card. It's consistent.

Handling isn't an attempt to play the ball. DOGSO-H doesn't get downgraded to a yellow and SPA handling doesn't get downgraded to no card. It's consistent.
OK, thanks to you and @socal lurker for the refresher on this detail
Maybe I was just dismayed that this could be HB in the first place as anyone whose played will likely disagree with the award. Added to the fact that the ball was sailing wide. It's going to be very difficult enforcing such double whammy punishment at grass roots from next season

Same principle as Dogso. Dogso handball is still red. Spa handball is still yellow. It is only downgraded in an attempt for the ball.
Yep, I recall you giving me guidance on this topic previously. What threw me, was that Danny Rose did not deliberately handle the ball, indeed he didn't do anything wrong as a footballer, hence the equivalent action to attempting to play the ball. However, I also know that IFAB just want more goals and that this is a PK next season. I also get that SPA Handling doesn't get downgraded, however I thought the ball was going wide

I've mentioned before that I used to be a golf rules official
In that sport, there's a comprehensive interpretations (decisions) book. These decisions are extremely well defined. Only new decisions (never previously encountered) are considered as changes between rule book revisions. There is no room for making stuff up during the playing season. The overall standard of officiating in football is inferior to every other sport I can think of. I blame the culture of not accepting the referee's decision (which breeds the need for VAR), but also the routine invention of new interpretations that deviate from the rule book and are taught inconsistently depending on world region and a referee's level within each region. The rules of football are meant to be relatively simple when compared to other sports. Instead, the game has always been a mess in this respect

I've mentioned before that I used to be a golf rules official
In that sport, there's a comprehensive interpretations (decisions) book. These decisions are extremely well defined. Only new decisions (never previously encountered) are considered as changes between rule book revisions. There is no room for making stuff up during the playing season. The overall standard of officiating in football is inferior to every other sport I can think of. I blame the culture of not accepting the referee's decision (which breeds the need for VAR), but also the routine invention of new interpretations that deviate from the rule book and are taught inconsistently depending on world region and a referee's level within each region. The rules of football are meant to be relatively simple when compared to other sports. Instead, the game has always been a mess in this respect

Another take on it, and I accept this might be off topic, is, can you think of another sport where the players are more than happy to play, without actually knowing the rules??

Can any of us walk up to Sundays local American football team game and simply walk onto the park, put on a helmet and play?
or can I enlist in a snooker tournament for the weekend and just turn up and expect to pot the balls in any order I please???

football? turn up guys, kick the ball in that direction, try not to handle it and try not to be too far up field ahead of their no.5. .. game on

Another take on it, and I accept this might be off topic, is, can you think of another sport where the players are more than happy to play, without actually knowing the rules??

Can any of us walk up to Sundays local American football team game and simply walk onto the park, put on a helmet and play?
or can I enlist in a snooker tournament for the weekend and just turn up and expect to pot the balls in any order I please???

football? turn up guys, kick the ball in that direction, try not to handle it and try not to be too far up field ahead of their no.5. .. game on
Golfers don't know the rules, but then the interpretations book is >1000 pages
Like golf, football needs different rules dependant on the level of the game
Many of the Laws are suitable for VAR and the Pro game, but absurd in the amateur game. Grass Roots is also far removed from Supply League and EFL.
It wouldn't be that difficult to have say... three stages of Law, underpinning referee's learning, development and interpretations as they're promoted up the chain. Certainly, the existing Laws are not apt for Step 5 and below

Since this discussion, I've had one HB SPA and one SP (Pull) SPA, both in the PA
PK awarded and YC issued in both instances. I shared in the defender's dissatisfaction at the resulting fines :(

Last edited:
I don’t remember many HB cards?? A few maybe,

I remember one lad doing one of the best saves I’ve ever seen as a defender and me getting surrounded by 15+ players pleading with me not to send him off from both sides... I thought about it for a second.... and sent him off anyway👍

Back