A&H

Stop clock?

There were some awful games in the 70s and 80s and the PL definitely improved the games and standards on show. I can’t remember the stats but there were single digit players from foreign shores in 1992, since then we’ve had some great imports to our leagues, Juninho Brazil 🇧🇷 , Klinsman 🇩🇪 , Aguaro 🇦🇷 and of course, Barry Bannan 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿...... there will be crap games but overall it’s a global brand that doesn’t need tweaking too much...
Like it or not, i can see this one happening (at the top of the game at least). Part of the IFAB philosophy is to have one set of rules played by everyone worldwide, but we're drifting away from that now

The Referee Store
A lot of clubs are really bad for it.

Huddersfield came to Goodison the other week and were at it from the first five minutes.

Ive always like the 4 points for an away win option in the hope that it might cut it out but if Cardiff are doing it at home to Burnley then i dont think it will.
Lol lol

What would be interesting would be to see a study of some footy games from different levels with an independent time assessor looking at how much time COULD be added on based on the current LotG versus what is actually added on.

The LotG says:

"Allowance is made by the referee in each half for all time lost in that half through:
• substitutions
• assessment and/or removal of injured players
• wasting time
• disciplinary sanctions
• stoppages for drinks (which should not exceed one minute) or other medical reasons permitted by competition rules
• delays relating to VAR ‘checks’ and ‘reviews’
• any other cause, including any significant delay to a restart (e.g. goal celebrations)"

This gives us lots of scope.

Only one thing is consistent: referees give 0-2 mins 1st half and 3-5 mins 2nd half unless there is something exceptional. We all do it.

But, especially at the end of the match, my guess is we could be giving 10-15 mins if we actually measured every sub properly, every goal, every slow retrieval, every slow goal kick, every injury assessment, every yellow card...

Has this study ever been done?
I might have a go next time I watch a prem game;)

I am not sure where I stand on this one. On one half the idea has merit. Clearly a lot of time is lost from dead balls and time wasting.
BUT, Time wasting will continue as not only does it run the clock down but also disrupts the flow of the game so a stop clock would not eradicate the issue.
Another issue would be on last day of season when all games kick off at same time... teams can slow games down so they know what they need to dif they NEED to win or not.
What time will soccer Saturday finish?
Will we start to see timeouts? Will we see plays a la american footy.
I think if referees just chose to use the tools available to them then potentially we would have this problem in the first place.

Done for the recent world cup. The link was published here and the findings were damning on referees short changing fans (I think by 4-5 minutes per game).

Good morning all,

Gosh always the Referees fault... no good honestly.. is the Referee not the sole arbitrator of time law 5?

What about a timed study being done on how long teams take to restart play.. E.g ball goes out for a throw in.. a player steps up to take the throw in law 15, now a different player decides they are doing the throw in. Just before the throw in commences the away team are now requesting a substitution. Law 3.
At that match I glanced at the Referee in the middle... now the team who wish to restart with the throw in are complaining Ref, book them for timewasting!!! Hmm was the home team not timewasting!!!
That entire process/processes took 3 minutes and 12 seconds,

Best team on the pitch.. team no3. The Referees

Good E.g ball goes out for a throw in.. a player steps up to take the throw in law 15, now a different player decides they are doing the throw in.
That should be a caution under LOTG but never applied, so whose fault is that?

I still think this is a major over reaction to what happened in one game, and it was effectively stage managed by Sky. They didn't want people switching off from the Ryder Cup, so picked what they knew was likely to be the least entertaining game of the season as their only game, forgoing the 1.30pm game altogether. Did anyone really want to watch another 20 minutes of that, especially at the end of the first half … ?!

I see your point but it certainly isn't a reaction to one game on my part. Time wasting has been an increasing problem over the last couple of decades and there appears to be a simple solution to prevent it. I really csnt see why it wouldn't/shouldn't be trialled

Back