A&H

Stopping play for replacing boots, shinguards, tying laces according to law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newref

According to the laws of the game should play be stopped if a players boot or shin guard comes off, or laces become untied. I always thought that for players we don't stop play and we only stop for keepers. However, I could not find this in the laws and would advice from you guys according to the law.

The Referee Store
Screenshot_20201002-221919.jpg

Screenshot_20201002-222226.jpg
Keep in mind you can't have a game without a goal keeper for each side on the field.

To answer your question directly, you do not need to stop play for any players. You ask the player to leave the field (unless keeper) after an stoppage to correct their equipment. You do not wait for them to fix their equipment before restarting play.

Last edited:
View attachment 4595

View attachment 4596
Keep in mind you can't have a game without a goal keeper for each side on the field.

To answer your question directly, you do not need to stop play for any players. You ask the player to leave the field (unless keeper) after an stoppage to correct their equipment. You do not wait for them to fix their equipment before restarting play.

Okay, so is it a MUST that the player has to leave the field of play or can he do his laces/correct equipment whilst on the pitch?

I don't really consider undone laces as 'incorrect equipment' but in general if they have to correct incorrect equipment, for example replace unsafe boots, they must leave the field to do it UNLESS they have already done it before play had stopped.

I give you an example. After a challenge near the benches, the ball is kicked away. You notice the player challenging has the sole of his boots separated from the upper. This is not safe but he is not near play. You let player continue. A minute later play is stopped, you check the player and he has changed his boots (a sub handed him another pair and he changed them away from play while play was going on). You just get on with the game as if nothing happended.

Last edited:
I don't really consider undone laces as 'incorrect equipment' but in general if they have to correct incorrect equipment, for example replace unsafe boots, they must leave the field to do it UNLESS they have already done it before play had stopped.

I give you an example. After a challenge near the benches, the ball is kicked away. You notice the player challenging has the sole of his boots separated from the upper. This is not safe but he is not near play. You let player continue. A minute later play is stopped, you check the player and he has changed his boots (a sub handed him another pair and he changed them away from play while play was going on). You just get on with the game as if nothing happended.

Sorry I think I may have confused you with the question. My question was regarding situations where a boot or shinguard comes off or laces become untied during play. Then the player says "ref need to tie my laces" or "my shoe / shinguard came off" What does the law say about how we should act in these situations?

Sorry I think I may have confused you with the question. My question was regarding situations where a boot or shinguard comes off or laces become untied during play. Then the player says "ref need to tie my laces" or "my shoe / shinguard came off" What does the law say about how we should act in these situations?
The law is as above.
For laces, you tell them fix them. I am not waiting for you.

For shoe/shinguard, if ball in play, tell them to fix it without taking your eye of play and without stopping play. If the ball is out of play. You ask them to leave the field to fix it and once off you get on with the game. You let them back on after the game has restarted and only if is fixed.

you don't wait for players to fix equipment unless it's a keeper. If you do for one then you have to do for all. And if you set a precedent, all of a sudden you see the players of the team winning by one, keep losing their boots.

it's at your discretion. there's nothing in law about it

just be concious of player reaction if you do or dont allow it!

it's at your discretion. there's nothing in law about it

just be concious of player reaction if you do or dont allow it!
The law is as above.
For laces, you tell them fix them. I am not waiting for you.

If the ball is out of play. You ask them to leave the field to fix it and once off you get on with the game. You let them back on after the game has restarted and only if is fixed.

So when the ball is out of play and their boot or shin guard is off can't they just fix it on the pitch whilst the ball is being retrieved and play just continues? Or do they HAVE to leave the field of play?

So when the ball is out of play and their boot or shin guard is off can't they just fix it on the pitch whilst the ball is being retrieved and play just continues? Or do they HAVE to leave the field of play?

Law 18: Common sense. The key is they cannot delay the restart. If they can manage immediately, no harm done, get on with it. If the restart is ready and they aren't, off they go. Note: this is not like an injury where you just wave them on during play--equipment must be checked before they are brought back on.

If someone informs you that their laces have come loose and play isn't about to restart then allowing the player to sort his boots is perfectly reasonable in my opinion. Only takes a few seconds and it shows a bit of empathy with the players. Nobody is bothered about it, they'll only bother you if you refuse to let them in all likelihood.

If its re3wlly young kids then always allow them to tie their laces etc during a stoppage imo.

If someone informs you that their laces have come loose and play isn't about to restart then allowing the player to sort his boots is perfectly reasonable in my opinion. Only takes a few seconds and it shows a bit of empathy with the players. Nobody is bothered about it, they'll only bother you if you refuse to let them in all likelihood.

If its re3wlly young kids then always allow them to tie their laces etc during a stoppage imo.
Law 18: Common sense. The key is they cannot delay the restart. If they can manage immediately, no harm done, get on with it. If the restart is ready and they aren't, off they go. Note: this is not like an injury where you just wave them on during play--equipment must be checked before they are brought back on.
Yes, you're right. For me common sense prevails, but I was just wondering if this would be marked down by an observer. I.e if I allowed the player to sort it out on the pitch and I allow play to continue. This is what I would generally do.

Yes, you're right. For me common sense prevails, but I was just wondering if this would be marked down by an observer. I.e if I allowed the player to sort it out on the pitch and I allow play to continue. This is what I would generally do.

If you allow anything in which your Observer can pull you up under AOL mate then that'd be down to you. Not all Observers are anal about such things but some are. ;)

As discussed on here only a few days ago, what you'd normally do doesn't come into it when somebody (rightly or wrongly) might be looking to pick you up for something.
With an Observer present, I always refereed by the book. :)

If you allow anything in which your Observer can pull you up under AOL mate then that'd be down to you. Not all Observers are anal about such things but some are. ;)

As discussed on here only a few days ago, what you'd normally do doesn't come into it when somebody (rightly or wrongly) might be looking to pick you up for something.
With an Observer present, I always refereed by the book. :)

Cool, and for the goalkeeper, I understand that we don't ask goalkeepers to leave the field of play but do we stop play if all of a sudden the keeper needs to do laces / correct equipment whilst the ball is in play in the middle of the park? e.g. if i dont stop play and then the attac results in a goal the keeper anbd his team will be furious. So what do you do in this scenario?

I'm going to humbly suggest that this is the absolute least of your worries when you think about being observed. Focus on the big picture and reffing the best game you can. (I'm in the camp of don't do anything different when you're being observed--do your best every game. If you should be doing it with an observer, you should be doing it without. If you're thinking about the observer, it means you aren't thinking about the job you are doing.)

Cool, and for the goalkeeper, I understand that we don't ask goalkeepers to leave the field of play but do we stop play if all of a sudden the keeper needs to do laces / correct equipment whilst the ball is in play in the middle of the park? e.g. if i dont stop play and then the attac results in a goal the keeper anbd his team will be furious. So what do you do in this scenario?

Put simply, you can't stop play for laces.
When the ball is out of play you can ask the players if they'll hold up a few seconds to allow someone time to do it - but neither they nor you are under any obligation to do so.

When the ball is out of play you can ask the players if they'll hold up a few seconds to allow someone time to do it - but neither they nor you are under any obligation to do so.

"This is adult football mate, not under 8's" usually gets a laugh, at least from the players teammates 😉

Reactions: Kes
No, I disagree. If a player is down fixing their shoes, close to a free kick or throw in, I will tell the kicker/thrower to wait a few seconds until the player is ready.
It's a clear instruction, it's common sense, no surprises. I'm not going to prevent a promising attack, or condone time wasting, but genuine simple fixing laces...

I don't get the "under no obligation" point - play is not restarting until I am happy. A few seconds to tie shoelaces, especially in youth, especially in an active area, is just simple common sense.

No, I disagree. If a player is down fixing their shoes, close to a free kick or throw in, I will tell the kicker/thrower to wait a few seconds until the player is ready.
It's a clear instruction, it's common sense, no surprises. I'm not going to prevent a promising attack, or condone time wasting, but genuine simple fixing laces...

I don't get the "under no obligation" point - play is not restarting until I am happy. A few seconds to tie shoelaces, especially in youth, especially in an active area, is just simple common sense.

Game context is also important here. I've seen players do it when they are winning by a single goal and under pressure to give their side a breather and try and take momentum away from the opposition, likewise after having the game stopped for treatment for an injury, then a different player wants you to delay further so they can do their lace.

Not really sure what you're disagreeing with here to be honest?

I often do as you allude to above but the OP was asking the question in relation to the LOTG and in particular what an Observer might think.

Irrespective of whatever we do or don't do, there is no provision in the LOTG for a referee to "stop play" (ie using the whistle or otherwise) in order that somebody can do up their laces. If you were being observed and were seen to do it, you could have no qualms about being marked down for AOL because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back