A&H

Junior/Youth Straight Red. Opinions

Adam Dyer

U15 A-League game - 2nd and 3rd in the league on a lets say "Muddy" Surface.
35 mins in, a PK is given for a foul tackle, no booking required as was his first challenge, and was a genuine attempt for the ball.
Opposite captain steps up and takes the penalty, it is saved by the keeper, but this is where the chaos occurs.
Once the GK made the save, the captain lunged in for the ball as it was loose, defending team also had a player lunge in for the ball, once the lunge happened, the captain then kicked the keeper in the face, not sure if it was purposeful or by accident, but it was a second movement and in my opinion he should have gone.
Isolated him, explained decision and he was understanding, kicked off at himself and his coach when he left the pitch.
Then.... While I was dealing with the manager that was assesing the injury to the GK, parents from the team of the captain that was sent were shouting "Come have a look at this video of the penalty before you put that in" What do you guys think?
Also was approached at end by uncle of the offender who I explained decision to but insisted I changed my opinion after seeing this video. I told him my decison is final.

What do you all think?

The Referee Store
They might want you to have the benefit of a video replay, but we can only give decisions based on what we see at the time. You saw a red card offence, you gave a red card, you put in a red card. If they want to appeal it, that is their choice.

Not sure if you're asking this, but I'd never watch a video replay of an incident in the game, however conclusive they claim it to be.

Sounds like you managed it well. "Come and look at this replay" is just another form of "in the back ref"...we call what we see and we move on.

U15 A-League game - 2nd and 3rd in the league on a lets say "Muddy" Surface.
35 mins in, a PK is given for a foul tackle, no booking required as was his first challenge, and was a genuine attempt for the ball.
Opposite captain steps up and takes the penalty, it is saved by the keeper, but this is where the chaos occurs.
Once the GK made the save, the captain lunged in for the ball as it was loose, defending team also had a player lunge in for the ball, once the lunge happened, the captain then kicked the keeper in the face, not sure if it was purposeful or by accident, but it was a second movement and in my opinion he should have gone.
Isolated him, explained decision and he was understanding, kicked off at himself and his coach when he left the pitch.
Then.... While I was dealing with the manager that was assesing the injury to the GK, parents from the team of the captain that was sent were shouting "Come have a look at this video of the penalty before you put that in" What do you guys think?
Also was approached at end by uncle of the offender who I explained decision to but insisted I changed my opinion after seeing this video. I told him my decison is final.

What do you all think?

1. Was the foul challenge careless, reckless or dangerous? That it was his first and an attempt to play the ball does not mean it wasn't reckless and therefore worthy of a caution........Don't get sucked into the myths that you can't or shouldn't caution for someones first poor challenge, or the fact that they genuinely tried to play the ball negates a reckless or dangerous element to the challenge.

As for the rest......
Congratulate them on capturing the whole incident on video, and explain that you won't be viewing it as it's not permissable under the LOTG.......or just ignore them completely........and don't engage with spectators at the end of the match....it rarely ends well.

Just point out to the team that if they have video evidence they can submit this with any appeal for the sending off, but that you won't be watching it.

First up, sounds like you did a good job, and some wise words from some wise heads in this thread.

Just out of curiosity, were they implying that it shouldn't have been a penalty in the first instance, or were they suggesting that the player sent off was not the one who kicked the keeper?

First up, sounds like you did a good job, and some wise words from some wise heads in this thread.

Just out of curiosity, were they implying that it shouldn't have been a penalty in the first instance, or were they suggesting that the player sent off was not the one who kicked the keeper?

No, they didn't really argue the decision, I was just interested for a bit of feedback, as it was my first red card issued, they more or less accepted it

Back