A&H

Stupid Sub

The Referee Store
VAR producing an outcome that not even the officials would've wanted. Under normal circumstances, spirit of the game would've been preserved by an assumption that the ball had just crossed the line. Instead an undeserved penalty on a technicality

Agree, that is a ridiculous intervention. Not a single person was expecting anything there, the ball was clearly going out for a goal kick and it was just a totally pointless intervention.

Agree, that is a ridiculous intervention. Not a single person was expecting anything there, the ball was clearly going out for a goal kick and it was just a totally pointless intervention.

I don't think it could ever be said that a substitute interfering with play was trivial to the extent that it shouldn't be punished. To let that go could have been very risky.

I might also add that no one would have expected a substitute to be daft enough to play a ball which was still in the FOP!

Devils advocate (you know me) that’s not called.

Can guara-damn-tee that studio pundits would’ve been all over that if it want given, about how a team was robbed etc. And certain ‘characters’ within the game would’ve “seen” it right away.

He won’t do it again that’s for sure!

Have to ask why were they allowed to be warming up there in the first place.
That's what I was thinking as well. One of the leagues I used to officiate in had a playing rule that no one was allowed behind the goals during play. Spectators, coaches, subs warming up etc, were only allowed on the sides of the field.

I think for lower level football, it’s fair enough to just allow the goal kick, but at the top tier of German football, the ref has to give it. It’s pretty ridiculous but it is correct in law. It’s up to the penalty taker to do the ‘right’ thing and maybe miss the pen on purpose. Don’t think anyone at a grassroots level would punish that. On the other hand, if they follow the LOTG that closely, why is dissent very rarely punished 🤷‍♂️

It’s up to the penalty taker to do the ‘right’ thing and maybe miss the pen on purpose
This would've been in 'the spirit of the game', but the taker may have been sacked by his money orientated club

Devils advocate (you know me) that’s not called.

Can guara-damn-tee that studio pundits would’ve been all over that if it want given, about how a team was robbed etc. And certain ‘characters’ within the game would’ve “seen” it right away.

He won’t do it again that’s for sure!

I very much doubt that anyone in the studio would have spotted it, let alone knowing that the outcome is a penalty.

To caveat my previous point, once the VAR alerts the referee to it and he goes and looks at the screen he obviously has to give the penalty. It was more just does he really need to alert the referee knowing what the outcome would be. That isn't what the law was brought in for, rather it was for when a sub ran onto the pitch to actually influence play.

Vars spoiling the second tier of German football... it’s coming t’championship soon boys.... we better hanker down, it’s going to be a ruff en! This could get messy! ⚔️

Back