A&H

Stupid Sub

Bizarre event. But correct in law.

Similar to that (a few years old) training video we've probably all seen where the spectator runs onto the pitch (ref has already stopped play) at Dorchester(?). The stewards are all chasing around on the pitch after this idiot without much success. One of the players rugby tackles him as he goes by to bring him to the ground in order that the stewards can pounce and lead him away. The referee then promptly shows said player a red card for VC. Correct in law, but again a bizarre thing to do in the circumstances. :)

Last edited:
The Referee Store

Similar to that (a few years old) training video we've probably all seen where the spectator runs onto the pitch (ref has already stopped play) at Dorchester(?). The stewards are all chasing around on the pitch after this idiot without much success. One of the players rugby tackles him as he goes by to bring him to the ground in order that the stewards can pounce and lead him away. The referee then promptly shows said player a red card for VC. Correct in law, but again a bizarre thing to do in the circumstances. :)

Do you think ridding the FOP of a public nuisance using an aggressive tactic necessitated a VC dismissal? Context, nobody even slightly hurt etc. etc.
Nightmare for the referee; either be mauled everyone in attendance, or get marked down by the assessor...

Reactions: Kes
Do you think ridding the FOP of a public nuisance using an aggressive tactic necessitated a VC dismissal? Context, nobody even slightly hurt etc. etc.
Nightmare for the referee; either be mauled everyone in attendance, or get marked down by the assessor...

I'll bet there are many threads on this issue . . .

Leagues don't want players engaging wacko fans and support the "just stay away" model.

Imagine if on your CV you put 'Die Mannschaft auf Video Assistent' or some crappy German translation to that effect....

I think some of the Citee entourage think they've been Mannschafted every week if you ask me!!!

That’s the last time I’m inviting you to one of my games @Kes I wasn’t that bad to expect a pitch invasion 😂

The issue here isn’t VAR, it’s the law itself. The intention of the law is right and to stop substitutes or outside agents from having an undue influence.
All VAR has done is alerted the referee to an offence in law and the referee has applied the law correctly. There is no wiggle room for "What football expects"

The law could be amended to add a phrase along the lines of "unless there is no meaningful change to the outcome had they not interfered" that would give the referee a get out clause.

I seem to remember an over keen ball boy inn a Premier League game getting the ball before it has gone out of play last season leading to a dropped ball instead of a throw in.. Same thing happened, right in law as it's a binary decision, but clearly could have been easily a play on, throw in situation

Back