A&H

SWI-BRA

The Referee Store
While you guys worry about geography, I worry about the state of mind of a referee whose country just pulled off a huge upset. I am sure he is professional enough to make sure his head is in the right space.

He likely was not watching.

Some of them slow mos show a push...

The slow motion could make the contact appear worse than it was mind

Well apart from Spain who look on a different planet this World Cup, if England can put it together we could be on a par with a few of these big boys.

Calm down MiB, we haven't turned up yet!!! Plenty of time for disappointment yet!!

I’ll put my red & white face paint back in the draw then.

Well I believe the young lions will be watching love island later perfect prep for tomoz game.

Slow start by the Boys from Brazil against the Clockmakers... Deserved point IMO... (Assuming the equaliser was legal) ;)

Easy game to referee from the bits I saw!!

I really don't understand VAR as it is being used. There was a blatant, blatant push on a Brazilian defender by the Switzerland goal scorer, it prevented the defender from having any chance of intercepting the cross. I'd be disappointed if a L7 referee couldn't spot that, so for a bunch of FIFA officials to not spot it and order a referral is beyond crazy. That was a clear and obvious error by the referee, if it doesn't fall into that category they should pack up the VARs and send them home now.

Also agree with Clattenburg, in that the referee is going to be annoyed that the VAR process hasn't hauled him out of a hole. He's now responsible for an incorrect goal changing decision, and that simply should not happen with a whole squad of people watching replays.

Spain game apart & the odd screamer it’s been pretty lethargic so far.

I guess once we get two rounds of games out the way it’ll start to hot up.

Early days but so far so good from the refereeing authorities, so far so good from the fan trouble fears (touch wood England tomoz night).

I’m missing being out on the pitch tbh whistle in hand, abuse flying from all angles lol.

Hold on I’ve just done meself a bowl of rice I’ll get comfy & wait for Cwyeary to rip you both a new one lol

How bloody dare you speak about VAR in that tone.

I really don't understand VAR as it is being used. There was a blatant, blatant push on a Brazilian defender by the Switzerland goal scorer, it prevented the defender from having any chance of intercepting the cross. I'd be disappointed if a L7 referee couldn't spot that, so for a bunch of FIFA officials to not spot it and order a referral is beyond crazy. That was a clear and obvious error by the referee, if it doesn't fall into that category they should pack up the VARs and send them home now.

Also agree with Clattenburg, in that the referee is going to be annoyed that the VAR process hasn't hauled him out of a hole. He's now responsible for an incorrect goal changing decision, and that simply should not happen with a whole squad of people watching replays.
Only reason I can think of is that there was one particular angle that made the contact look VERY minimal, if the VAR team decided to focus their attention on that, they could have easily justified no foul.

Have you ever considered that, as per protocol, the VAR might have asked the ref "what did you see?" and the ref responded with "There was a push, but not enough for me". At which point... there's nothing more that needs doing.

From two angles, that push was... nothing at all. From the third angle (which was close to what the ref had -- and he was looking right in that direction), it looks like more of a push.

What I find kinda funny is that there was no reaction AT ALL from the Brazilian players until almost 20s AFTER the goal.

A lot to do with understanding "what is a clear and obvious error?". So far it has been inconsistent with the few VAR reviews (or no reviews). This was one of the biggest problems when HAL started using VAR as well. IFAB/FIFA can do with a clear and concise definition of what "clear and obvious error" means. At the moment all we have to go by is "was the decision clearly wrong?" Very subjective and it changes from referee to referee and from VAR to VAR.

On the incident, yes there was a push, I would deem it as careless, all it would take for the VAR to think "there was blatant push, it was quite possibly careless, but that doesn't make it a clear and obvious error for a review".

Back