A&H

Team colours

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my part of Scotland there used to be one or two teams that had black as their 1st kit
Did not cause me any issues as I had 3 coloured tops at the time (Red, Yellow and Black)
I am not aware of any rule or regulation up here that prevents a team wearing black. I am sure I shall be corrected if my last statement is incorrect

Maybe not up there mate, but down here it's generally a "refs will only wear black" rule. ;) :)

The Referee Store
Interesting to me how school sports vary so much in different countries. In the US, high school sports (grades -9-12 before college) are extremely structured and organized with elaborate uniform rules. (Indeed, the home team must always wear white.) Many schools have sponsorship deals of varying sizes where they get their uniforms provided by Nike, Addidas, etc. For most sports, the high school competition is the most intense for the age level, with club sports being more of a fill in. (Soccer is different, as there is an Academy program that is high enough level that many of the truly top players don't play for their high school but only for their Academy team.)

For Junior High/Middle school (grades 6-8), it varies a lot. Many have pretty well organized leagues, but some are more haphazard.

Below step 7, common sense, game on

Actually the advice given here was don't play the game.

It's in the rule book that a team cannot play in black and referees were told not to continue because some people were being lenient and getting a bib, whilst others weren't. The expected response is the team changes their kit or everyone goes home.

So far, when teams are told this, they very conveniently find a spare kit lying about somewhere.

I guess, basically just ensure that if there is a rule in place about kits/referee's dress, then it is best to err on the side of caution and follow it. If there isn't, then treat it like the corner flag.

Alternate colours (and certainly anything other than the official county-sanctioned alternate colour) is not something English FA referees are entitled to take into their own hands - and yes, while it's not "illegal", it is certainly something that would not go down well if your CFA hears about it.

It'll get a mention in an observer's report as well. Don't know if it would be same in your county though. There's actually a rule in the county handbook for my county that sets out the dress code for referees: All black. White trim is acceptable but nothing else. I remember getting pulled up on some kit infringement when I first started, though I haven't ever since, however, I still do get comments from observers on how 'smart' I appear etc, so I suppose they absolutely are keeping an eye on it even today.

When has players inadvertently passing to the ref being an issue (for a referee)..... We'd all move out of the way as best we could surely.... My days of wanting to bop one in the top corner are well behind me......I was big, dressed in black and ugly.... It was their error, leave me to making mine!!!

If your complying with the antiquated draconian regulations then you are as much part of the problem as the ruling itself.
in any other walk of life you would be applauded for having the common sense to be proactive and flexible enough to cope
Its obscene to waltz up to a game then waltz away again because a team are in black..... that is NOT what refereeing is about, we exist to service the game, not the other way round !

And anyone saying, ah but the local book says, is fooling themselves, the LOTG book, which over rides anything a local association can say, also says, the goals must be white.
Show me a referee who has not played with silver frames?
Lots of hypocritical folk out there using a paragraph in book and bending it to suit them, not the game.

Last edited:
If your complying with the antiquated draconian regulations then you are as much part of the problem as the ruling itself.
in any other walk of life you would be applauded for having the common sense to be proactive and flexible enough to cope
Its obscene to waltz up to a game then waltz away again because a team are in black..... that is NOT what refereeing is about, we exist to service the game, not the other way round !

And anyone saying, ah but the local book says, is fooling themselves, the LOTG book, which over rides anything a local association can say, also says, the goals must be white.
Show me a referee who has not played with silver frames?
Lots of hypocritical folk out there using a paragraph in book and bending it to suit them, not the game.
If you're a referee in Scotland, fine. If you're a referee in England, it's very important that you completely ignore this post and follow the actual rules that you are actually employed under.

If you're a referee in Scotland, fine. If you're a referee in England, it's very important that you completely ignore this post and follow the actual rules that you are actually employed under.

Its not your place to inform anybody what to ignore or otherwise.
You have also previously been asked by site mods to quit squabbling on my posts.
My post is my genuine and entitled statement on the kit colour situation. Nowhere do I state what someone is to wear, merely my thoughts on the set up. You do not have the right to deny me that.

Last edited:

That may be so, but I think for any referee wanting to get up the ladder, it is best to err on the side of caution and do as the County FA says. Their argument may well be that if you bend this rule, you may well be capable of bending far more important rules.

I think it is simply best to keep the nose clean, raise the issue with the league/FA and let them sort it out. Or rather, this isn't the hill to die on imo.

That may be so, but I think for any referee wanting to get up the ladder, it is best to err on the side of caution and do as the County FA says. Their argument may well be that if you bend this rule, you may well be capable of bending far more important rules.

I think it is simply best to keep the nose clean, raise the issue with the league/FA and let them sort it out. Or rather, this isn't the hill to die on imo.
I'd forego a promotion if it meant not doing the right thing

You should as referee be prepared and if not carry another colour, carry a suitable garmet.
Why not carry a diff colour and thats that. Game is not about us. We service the game. Not the other way round. Its not illegal to carry a yellow top in your bag.
Some would say its proactive. Sensible

But we cant have that, can we.....

My local FA have outright banned any other colour than black and even fine referees who go against this.

EDIT: I should add that all league rules in the area stipulate no teams are to wear full black, it puts the responsibility onto them, not us

My local FA have outright banned any other colour than black and even fine referees who go against this.

EDIT: I should add that all league rules in the area stipulate no teams are to wear full black, it puts the responsibility onto them, not us

By accepting the fine you (not you personally but the referee) are a ridiculous as the fine itself.

By accepting the fine you (not you personally but the referee) are a ridiculous as the fine itself.
Ridiculous it may be, it’s worth noting things like this before complaining about referees making it ‘all about us’

Ridiculous it may be, it’s worth noting things like this before complaining about referees making it ‘all about us’

If in all seriousness a referee would walk away from a game because a team was in black, (yes, even if it says in the local book) then your objective was not to play, rather pander. Doing this act with the safety net of, well, it says in the book we are now not to play, makes it about the referee. not the players/game
As I state, the actual LOTG say the goal posts must be white yet each of us to a man plays with silver goals, we play without flags when occasion arises and so on...we can also play when a team is in black.
And as for being fined for wearing a different color, the CAS would urinate all over that decision.

If in all seriousness a referee would walk away from a game because a team was in black, (yes, even if it says in the local book) then your objective was not to play, rather pander. Doing this act with the safety net of, well, it says in the book we are now not to play, makes it about the referee. not the players/game
As I state, the actual LOTG say the goal posts must be white yet each of us to a man plays with silver goals, we play without flags when occasion arises and so on...we can also play when a team is in black.
And as for being fined for wearing a different color, the CAS would urinate all over that decision.

Fining their own referees?? I don't even know where to begin.

Its not your place to inform anybody what to ignore or otherwise.
You have also previously been asked by site mods to quit squabbling on my posts.
My post is my genuine and entitled statement on the kit colour situation. Nowhere do I state what someone is to wear, merely my thoughts on the set up. You do not have the right to deny me that.
And my "genuine and entitled" thoughts are that you're posting rubbish that could get a young referee in England into trouble if they happened on this post and followed your terrible advice. I don't think it's unreasonable for you to post that given where you're based, but I think it's wildly irresponsible to pretend that it applies to refs in England as well when you've been clearly and repeatedly told otherwise.

And my "genuine and entitled" thoughts are that you're posting rubbish that could get a young referee in England into trouble if they happened on this post and followed your terrible advice. I don't think it's unreasonable for you to post that given where you're based, but I think it's wildly irresponsible to pretend that it applies to refs in England as well when you've been clearly and repeatedly told otherwise.

Can you block me as a poster please, nobody else on this site is interested in your petty squabble with me. Thanks in advance.
I would like you never to quote my posts again, or pass comment on anything to do with me in the future.
I hope this is clear and taken on board. Other posters have already made it clear they are fed up of it. It stops now. Thanks.

Yeah. Unpaid fines result in a suspension as well, at least with my area anyway.

It's the initial fine that I don't understand. How that benefits anyone is beyond me. It's not an educational tool,it just further erodes a relationship between referee and authority. It's a negative for all concerned and there's enough negatives for referees without their own associations adding to them.

It's the initial fine that I don't understand. How that benefits anyone is beyond me. It's not an educational tool,it just further erodes a relationship between referee and authority. It's a negative for all concerned and there's enough negatives for referees without their own associations adding to them.

I agree. I guess the educational point they're making is wear black! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back