A&H

Teams kits

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Saw this recently in support of a friend (a part of the town's football in a lot of ways and is very well respected) who is fighting for his life.

The kit by one of the two teams... some in blue and yellow and others in yellow and blue whilst opponent wears white.
How is that allowed?
I get the mantra "just get the game on" at this level but this a premier division game in the town...
Screenshot_20181211-094208.jpg

The Referee Store
I would be ok with that tbh. The kits of the "white" team are very much different from the mish mash lot of yellow and blue.
As long as you can tell the 2 teams apart, which for me you clearly can, then and you rightly say, at this level, I would not bat an eyelid, game on.

This is not at all unusual in parks football or leagues below County level (in my experience)

Last edited:
Can only speak for my local area/experiences but... The mixed socks etc kind of suggests to me that the team on the left had a secretary or whatever quit, and when he went no one bothered chasing up or renewing the local kit sponsorship deal.

I've only seen mish-mashed kits like that when a club is basically in freefall and key members have resigned and/or a club isn't organised as well as it should be.

I'd play that game though, they're different enough shades as Zarathustra says.

I normally do three games of a Sunday and i can pretty much can guarantee at least one of the six teams will have a right mish mash of a kit.

I'm going to elaborate further..this has no impact upon playability. Now, sure, they've probably broken competition rules here. I'd have a chat to that team beforehand, say that you're happy to play but if the other team decides to report it they might have a problem - and the other team just might try it on if they don't win. Argue that as they didn't comply with competition rules they shouldn't have taken the field.

It would be a little confusing as a player - because you're relying on reflexes and peripheral vision a lot. One moment you have a blue player in your periphery, next you have a yellow player...it's a bit 'wtf'. It's a mess and it's perfectly fair to expect better.....but it's playable. Heck, even if you're really unhappy about it, play and report it, let the authorities decide whether the result stands, and whether to take further action. All these blokes and the spectators made the effort to turn up to the game, so we want to try to play it if possible.

I think Man Utd tonight look strange in Red/Black/White.... taking a guess its cos Valencia are White/White/Black but, as much as I don't see every Utd game, I cant recall them being Red/Black/White before, certainly not often.

I'm going to elaborate further..this has no impact upon playability. Now, sure, they've probably broken competition rules here. I'd have a chat to that team beforehand, say that you're happy to play but if the other team decides to report it they might have a problem - and the other team just might try it on if they don't win. Argue that as they didn't comply with competition rules they shouldn't have taken the field.

It would be a little confusing as a player - because you're relying on reflexes and peripheral vision a lot. One moment you have a blue player in your periphery, next you have a yellow player...it's a bit 'wtf'. It's a mess and it's perfectly fair to expect better.....but it's playable. Heck, even if you're really unhappy about it, play and report it, let the authorities decide whether the result stands, and whether to take further action. All these blokes and the spectators made the effort to turn up to the game, so we want to try to play it if possible.

No amateur team would report another team for having minor kit issues surely???

Many teams at the bottom level leave it to the individual players to wash there own kit, they'll be all kinds of different coloured socks and £5 shorts bought from sports direct on the way to the match at parks all over the country. Nobodies bothered at park level and the game is far more important than kit issues. Get on with the game. It's not worthy of even mentioning it to the team. If someone isn't wearing the correct coloured kit ie socks or last year's shirt (similar bit not the same as every other team member) then it's because they don't have the right kit and no words from the ref will change that. No need to make an issue. Play on

I agree with all of this...

However, what would an observer say?

What would an observer want you to do? I've never been observed so I don't know but surely you'd just mention to him that you've noticed the issue but your following the advice given for that standard and that the game is more important. Play on

I'm amazed that some referees on here constantly look for silly reasons to call games off or just do silly stuff. It's a blooming hobby for millions of people, its semi professional for a decent few and professional for even fewer. Games on parks pitches or at the lower end are certainly not the Premier League and should be reffed accordingly, they must be safe and most of the rules/laws/guidelines followed as much as humanly possible.
lets stop looking for reasons to NOT play games, lets try and be as accommodating as possible to ensure that a game does take place... It's not about you as a referee, some need to remember that!! PLAY ON!!!! :angel:

Last edited:
I agree with all of this...

However, what would an observer say?
I was an observer. We're not ignorant to common sense, you know ;-)

I'd be saying the exact same thing. This doesn't make the game unplayable at all. If the opposition thinks that playing against different colours has put them off, they can put their argument to the FA afterwards.

Also, Law 4 doesn't actually say that all players on the same team have to wear identical shirts (though competition rules might)

Just want to clarify not once did I say I would not want to start a game or cause issues...
Just wanted to know people's thoughts and what they would do and the correct procedure.

Back