A&H

The whistle is needed to restart play for

The Referee Store
Not “needed”. I think you can use your common sense. If you have young/grassroots players who need help understanding what is going on, if there has already restart confusion in your match, then whistling a drop ball restart may be a really good idea.

Yesterday, I had top drawer U17s in a glorious (empty) stadium with ex-pro coaches. I did not need to whistle the drop ball restart.

@santa sangria Yeah, definitely makes sense.

Sometimes I wish we had less subjective calls to make, not more! Obviously this kindof decision is less likely to have a big impact on the game but the more definitive laws we have around the little things, the more energy we can put into the bigger, subjective calls!

Just received my observer report from Saturday. This subject was part of my development. No whistle needed for DB as has been stated above that ball is in play when it touches the ground. I accept the points above that it lets everyone know that play has restarted however I was advised to make it a loud ok fellas lets go check everyone is in place and play on.

Just received my observer report from Saturday. This subject was part of my development. No whistle needed for DB as has been stated above that ball is in play when it touches the ground. I accept the points above that it lets everyone know that play has restarted however I was advised to make it a loud ok fellas lets go check everyone is in place and play on.
What was the dropped ball for?

The times that a whistle is needed are stated with the LoTG, are the not??????
Yes, and the relevant section was already posted twice in this thread. Posts #3 & 21.

The issue is, as pointed out in the OP, that the different parts of the guidance could be seen as somewhat contradictory.

Back