A&H

Thoughts on this challenge.

The Referee Store
Picture quality sucks but the B/W player wins the ball obviously, sees the red player is probably coming late, lowers his body and shifts to essentially shoulder/body check him. Red for the B/W endangering an opponent, probably yellow for Red 7 but it’s hard to tell what contact he would have made since B/W decided to initiate.

For any unsure, in rugby B/W walks for that and faces a long ban

Red for the big chap in B&W kit.
Clearly uses excessive force and endangers the safety. Ball is long gone and he plants the shoulder into the oncoming Red player with considerable force.

Don't think the red player has done anything wrong!

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230316-220214.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230316-220214.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 26
I can’t see a red card from the video. The angle is all wrong.

180 degrees further round, maybe, especially if the shoulder makes contact with the red player’s head but I can’t tell, even on a slow replay.

He doesn’t drop into a rugby tackle (easy red if so) so I see this as a collision rather than a challenge for the ball it can’t be serious foul play. Ergo excessive force is not a consideration.

The only red card option here is violent conduct and I can’t see a violent act *from this angle*

I can’t see a red card from the video. The angle is all wrong.

180 degrees further round, maybe, especially if the shoulder makes contact with the red player’s head but I can’t tell, even on a slow replay.

He doesn’t drop into a rugby tackle (easy red if so) me as this is a collision rather than a challenge for the ball it can’t be serious foul play. Ergo excessive force is not a consideration.

The only red card option here is violent conduct and I can’t see a violent act *from this angle*
I don't think you are wrong. The angle is far from sufficient to make a definitive call.

There is a big clue in this though. Now I know the lads a big fella, but I would expect two players in an unfortunate coming together, to both have some impact from it.
In this clip, the b+w players forward momentum is completely unaffected which makes me suspect that he has been the aggressor in the coming together. You'd at least expect some kind of recoil or bracing for impact, of which there isn't any, at all.

That said it is only a suspicion, and as you rightly point out, another, better angle would clear it up, easy..

With respect to potential red cards, collision V challenge this would very clearly fall under serious foul play.

"When challenging for the ball..."

This collision is very clearly a result of challenging for the ball so we absolutely have excessive force, brutality ect. Under consideration. I don't know how you have come to the conclusion that there is no ball challenge and excessive force therefore can't be considered

Last edited:
I don't think you are wrong. The angle is far from sufficient to make a definitive call.

There is a big clue in this though. Now I know the lads a big fella, but I would expect two players in an unfortunate coming together, to both have some impact from it.
In this clip, the b+w players forward momentum is completely unaffected which makes me suspect that he has been the aggressor in the coming together. You'd at least expect some kind of recoil or bracing for impact, of which there isn't any, at all.

That said it is only a suspicion, and as you rightly point out, another, better angle would clear it up, easy..

With respect to potential red cards, collision V challenge this would very clearly fall under serious foul play.

"When challenging for the ball..."

This collision is very clearly a result of challenging for the ball so we absolutely have excessive force, brutality ect. Under consideration. I don't know how you have come to the conclusion that there is no ball challenge and excessive force therefore can't be considered

I’ll take the right of reply you’ve offered.

My reading is B&W in control of the ball and lays it off before the two players reach one another, therefore not challenging for it.

If it’s the red player who has possession then lays it off, I’d keep SFP “on the table”.

I'm not seeing any offence from that video. That isn't to sat there wasn't an offence, but it isn't clear enough from that single replay.

I'm not seeing any offence from that video. That isn't to sat there wasn't an offence, but it isn't clear enough from that single replay.
Must say I had to watch several times and freeze frame because of angle/quality, so you could well be right. I think for game management maybe you have to give a foul one way?

Must say I had to watch several times and freeze frame because of angle/quality, so you could well be right. I think for game management maybe you have to give a foul one way?

Certainly an easy sell as foul for charging by the B&W player, and not even for game management. That will look and feel like a foul to almost everyone. The player penalised might complain but a minute later it’s forgotten.

I find this one really difficult. In truth, if I am the referee and view the incident at actual speed and with the same angle as the video, I am probably calling it a footballing incident. Even when I slow the video down, analyse the movement of both players relative to the ball and one another, look at the points of contact and think about the forces involved I am still uncertain. This might say more about me than it does about anything else but I just can’t get there for red and am even uncertain of cautions for both players. 🤔

Back