A&H

Throw in query

RefJef

RefChat Addict
I have a question about throw ins - I think I may have got this wrong today, not sure, want to learn.

Player takes throw in from on the pitch, I.e. both feet were completely and clearly on the field of play.

For context, It was a disputed throw in (as to which side should have the throw) and the taker was 1-0 down in the last 5 mins of a cup tie: he just wanted to get on with the game.

I blew the whistle to stop play, told him he was on the pitch when he took it, & told him to go back and take the throw from behind the line.

Cue howls from opposition players & bench:”if it’s a foul throw, should now be ours.”

Was it a foul throw, did I get this wrong? In my mind, play hasn’t re-started, we just go back to where throw should be taken, just as if a player picked up the ball 15 metres down the pitch and took the throw from the wrong place, I’d bring them back.

Any thoughts?

J

The Referee Store
No need to apologise - as I say, I think I may have got it wrong, have been mulling it over on the drive home. Just want to know so I get it right if/when it happens again.

(Fortunately didn’t affect the outcome of the game)

If a player is 15 metres too far down the pitch I will always redirect him to the correct spot before he has chance to take it. If he does it too quickly for me to intervene then I will give foul throw.

I have a question about throw ins - I think I may have got this wrong today, not sure, want to learn.

Player takes throw in from on the pitch, I.e. both feet were completely and clearly on the field of play.

For context, It was a disputed throw in (as to which side should have the throw) and the taker was 1-0 down in the last 5 mins of a cup tie: he just wanted to get on with the game.

I blew the whistle to stop play, told him he was on the pitch when he took it, & told him to go back and take the throw from behind the line.

Cue howls from opposition players & bench:”if it’s a foul throw, should now be ours.”

Was it a foul throw, did I get this wrong? In my mind, play hasn’t re-started, we just go back to where throw should be taken, just as if a player picked up the ball 15 metres down the pitch and took the throw from the wrong place, I’d bring them back.

Any thoughts?

J
When you say "completely and clearly on the field of play" does that mean all of the feet were over the touch line? he can have part of his feet on the touch line but still be completely on the field of play and still take a correct TI (the lines are part of the field of play).

If he had either feet completely over the touch line then its an incorrectly taken throw in and you should restart play with a TI to the opponents from the same position.

Last edited:
If a player is 15 metres too far down the pitch I will always redirect him to the correct spot before he has chance to take it. If he does it too quickly for me to intervene then I will give foul throw.
I'll admit to letting a retake occur for this if I feel like I was too slow to issue a warning. Did exactly that last weekend where I dropped the whistle on the way to blow it - if I hadn't dropped it, I would easily have been able to warn him in time, so I allowed a retake.

I’m afraid you handled the situation wrong. If there is a procedure infringement, the throw should be given to the other team, as the law says. In my view, disputed throws-in should be judged with zeal, for game management purposes.

On the 15-metre thing, I’ll say that it depends. I have pretty much two ways: either I tell the thrower way before they can possibly restart game, either I just do nothing and wait for them to act. If they take it from the wrong place, ball goes to the opposition’s hands. It’ll depend on how the game is going and how players are behaving, naturally.

Once a thrower paces the five yards away a swift whistle, and thank you, please take it back to where it left the fop, I don't mind a bit of a run up, but then they start to take the proverbial and it's no, no back you go!

Just on throws, its common to see defensive throws taken 20 yards downfield and nobody seems to moan, as opposed to gaining 20 yards upfield
I dont allow it, and I award the throw to the opponents from the correct place, I treat it as a restart and prob would not allow a free kick 20 yards from where it should be, without measuring it, I would prob allow say, 10 yards at max, defensive.
Its very common to see defensive throws taken well back though.

"take it back mate, I didn't travel that far on my last holiday".

Key thing is being proactive. If the throw in is taken very quickly I will overlook the referee having it retaken, but if there is any kind of time to manage it, he doesn't and then has it retaken I'm going to be criticising and telling him it should have been reversed.

Just on throws, its common to see defensive throws taken 20 yards downfield and nobody seems to moan, as opposed to gaining 20 yards upfield
I dont allow it, and I award the throw to the opponents from the correct place, I treat it as a restart and prob would not allow a free kick 20 yards from where it should be, without measuring it, I would prob allow say, 10 yards at max, defensive.
Its very common to see defensive throws taken well back though.
Agreed, and giving a foul throw for such (if they've thrown it before you had the chance to intervene) never goes down well.
"What advantage did I get from it ref? It was behind the mark!"
well...if you weren't getting any benefit from it then you would have taken it on the spot!! There's just as much benefit in taking it behind the mark as in front - it gives you space and possession.
"take it back mate, I didn't travel that far on my last holiday".

Key thing is being proactive. If the throw in is taken very quickly I will overlook the referee having it retaken, but if there is any kind of time to manage it, he doesn't and then has it retaken I'm going to be criticising and telling him it should have been reversed.

The throw should never be retaken if it's from the wrong spot (unless it's being taken just as you're blowing the whistle, but that's because you're holding up play). Other than that, if the ref hasn't intervened first, too bad, lost the throw.

I’ve had a few disagreements with players when I’ve reversed throws for excessive taking of a throw a long way down the line, the look on the cherubs faces when they think it’s just a retake. Bless

Can I just ask, If u take a throw and it doesn’t enter the field of play is it a retake or does the other team get the throw?

Can I just ask, If u take a throw and it doesn’t enter the field of play is it a retake or does the other team get the throw?
If it's taken correctly then the law is clear. It's a retake.

If it's not taken correctly the law is not so clear but common consensus is a TI to the opponents.

If it's not taken correctly the law is not so clear but common consensus is a TI to the opponents.

Thanks

But if it 'enters fop' ie any part of the ball is above any part of the line - a much more likely scenario when you think about it, and then goes out of play again, its a throw to oppo.

But if it 'enters fop' ie any part of the ball is above any part of the line - a much more likely scenario when you think about it, and then goes out of play again, its a throw to oppo.
This. It's often a hard sell and probably because a lot of ref's don't follow it. Unless you have an AR or you happen to be standing right on the line, you're unlikely to be 100% certain it went in, so I'd give benefit of the doubt to the thrower.

Same, any time I have said it never came in, seems to be the easier call, afterall, the other team never had the throw in the first place so giving the retake simply maintains the status quo

Back