A&H

Throw ins - just a couple of things

The Referee Store
I was an assistant the other day and a player stepped about a metre on to the field to throw the ball in.
Everyone stopped cause it was a really good throw otherwise, I quickly showed her how far on the field she was and she burst out laughing.

I was an assistant the other day and a player stepped about a metre on to the field to throw the ball in.
Everyone stopped cause it was a really good throw otherwise, I quickly showed her how far on the field she was and she burst out laughing.
Unless they are ones like this, unless you are standing on the line and looking along it, it is pretty touch to check hands, feet and the shirt pulling starting in the drop zone unless you are at the lofty heights of having NAR.

For me it's feet (probably) on the ground and throw from over the head. Job done and move on to the next decision!

To slightly hijack this thread.
Can a thrower have his foot in the field of play as long as part of his foots on the touchline?

View attachment 5939

Yes is the answer.

The thrower can stand with the back of the heel on the edge of the touchline and it's a legal throw (as far as the feet are concerned).

The real problem with the law is this bit: "The ball is in play when it enters the field of play. If the ball touches the ground before entering, the throw-in is retaken by the same team from the same position."

If the thrower throws the ball from the position above (or even from most positions other than with both feet behind the line) the ball is in the field of play while it's still in the thrower's hands.

So forget throw and just hold above head and drop? That would look very ugly and I’m sure get scream of “foul thrown ref” …
Well, you’ve really got a foul throw or an IFK, as if he drops it from over his head it will bounce on his head . . .

more seriously, I’d put it this way: a TI is simply a way to restart the game. We don’t need to be looking for improper TIs—the ones that are bad enough to call are going to find us. The time we have to get more picky is when a player is trying to turn a TI into a CK equivalent. Players are free to do that, but if they are launching it that far, I expect it to be done completely properly. (And I say that as someone who used to take that kind of TI.)

The real problem with the law is this bit: "The ball is in play when it enters the field of play. If the ball touches the ground before entering, the throw-in is retaken by the same team from the same position."
yeah, it may not be the best drafting, but everyone know that it really means once it is released. Shrug.

A millimeter. This isn’t conceptually hard—did the ball break the plane of the outside of the line or not. I don’t see this as a place to overthink.

So long as part of each foot is touching the line or behind the line.
I wasn't quoting Law 15. I was referring to the scenario given by the OP. The player in question has a foot inside the field of play and so that already rules out the possibility of "behind the line". 😉

Whilst we are on the exciting topic of throw ins.

So many calls for foul throws these days.

Lots of limp throws - is there any more detailed guidance in the IFAB regarding what is a foul throw and not.

Whilst we are on the exciting topic of throw ins.

So many calls for foul throws these days.

Lots of limp throws - is there any more detailed guidance in the IFAB regarding what is a foul throw and not.
I don’t see any consistency of a “limp” throw - through ALL levels … in fact there were a couple of limp uns at Spurs recently- one actually got pulled up - another game “crack on” …

Back