A&H

Tips to improve my distance running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Is there any reason you felt the need to chirp up with a sly comment to begin with?
If you’ve nothing positive to add then why get involved?
Wa, Mr H is a very experienced ref trainer and assessor by all accounts and there have been quite a few discussions on here about the merits or otherwise of the double jump.

What would be positive for other readers is if you could explain why 6-4 and the advice you’ve had, because then I think you would get more positive advice here (even though I know it was not the original topic) :)

Wa, Mr H is a very experienced ref trainer and assessor by all accounts and there have been quite a few discussions on here about the merits or otherwise of the double jump.

What would be positive for other readers is if you could explain why 6-4 and the advice you’ve had, because then I think you would get more positive advice here (even though I know it was not the original topic) :)
Not in this thread though please. Let’s keep it to the topic of fitness

With all due respect to Mr H, I didn’t post with the intention of discussing the merits of my ambition.
My RDO recommended it and backed my ability. That was enough for me.

If someone has negative thoughts about my aspirations then just pick another thread to look at.

Boooo :mute:

I started lockdown running a couple of miles...
Eight chalked off this morning, without catching any buses
Trouble with building up distance, is it takes time

i used same kinda routes for years here but only since lockdown I bumped into two other refs on seperate times, prob they more gym bunnies and been running instead now.
Was too hot to run today but tmrw is a must

D90EC066-024E-4F1D-BD82-03F93163FCC2.jpeg
I think @Mintyref and I should come out of retirement and show some of these young pups the way of the world!
I'd much rather have a half fit competent referee than one that's as fit as a butchers dog but no idea!!!
Since when did fitness really matter that much, its about getting decisions right not getting there quickly!!! Takes cover!!!

View attachment 4314
I think @Mintyref and I should come out of retirement and show some of these young pups the way of the world!
I'd much rather have a half fit competent referee than one that's as fit as a butchers dog but no idea!!!
Since when did fitness really matter that much, its about getting decisions right not getting there quickly!!! Takes cover!!!

Best i pretend I never read that..........👍

Lots of good advice on here. From a running perspective, I'd actually run the fitness test once a week. One week, work on keeping up your target pace as long as you can. When you can't, recover and then get back to that pace. The other week, run your target distance and check your time. As you improve, your two weeks should get closer to equal.

The HIIT running @Kes mentioned is really good. You might have to walk a little as you build your endurance, but the goal should be to eventually jog all intervals in between your hard running.

This document has a bunch of different running and strength exercises. Pick 2-4 sprint and interval exercises to focus on and work on them a lot.

Lots of good advice on here. From a running perspective, I'd actually run the fitness test once a week. One week, work on keeping up your target pace as long as you can. When you can't, recover and then get back to that pace. The other week, run your target distance and check your time. As you improve, your two weeks should get closer to equal.

The HIIT running @Kes mentioned is really good. You might have to walk a little as you build your endurance, but the goal should be to eventually jog all intervals in between your hard running.

This document has a bunch of different running and strength exercises. Pick 2-4 sprint and interval exercises to focus on and work on them a lot.
Good grief... I'll never remember all that!

Good grief... I'll never remember all that!

I don't remember any of it. It's on my phone. I don't trust my memory nearly that much!

I track my workouts using a Google spreadsheet and plan my workouts a week in advance. So I just pull the spreadsheet up on my phone to figure out what I'm doing on a particular day.

I don't remember any of it. It's on my phone. I don't trust my memory nearly that much!

I track my workouts using a Google spreadsheet and plan my workouts a week in advance. So I just pull the spreadsheet up on my phone to figure out what I'm doing on a particular day.
A great thing about running, is that the same principles of training apply to everyone, regardless of ability
Mo Farah and I are both working on our stamina and lactate threshold in much the same way, although I for one don't siphon out oxygenated blood to use as a tonic for when i'm hungover or over-trained or have a big game assignment (nor does Mo AFAIK!)

I just reconnected (ugh) with Garmin Connect (mobile/web app for watch) and am well impressed by the workouts, course charting etc etc included. Obvs there’s a cost to enter for a watch but excellent usability these days:)

I do chuckle at witticisms on here, or some light-heated joshing between supporters of rival teams, but do genuine posts have to descend into this lolbanter ******** from established members each time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back