A&H

Tips to improve my distance running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its really that simple.
granted it cant happen, servicing the game and all that but I would have all refs do the test, cant do the test, you cant get a match fee.
Even with a change of measurements, instead of 2.6 make it 2.2 for over 50s
There should be some form of test, are teams wanting someone classed as fit enough to do their game, or are they happy with just anybody to do their game...
The onus should be on associations to ensure the people representing them are suitable
And, a level of fitness, when it comes to refereeing, is essential, not, optional.

in the grand scheme of things, i'm certain teams would prefer any referee to potentially not having one at all, even if the ones they did get had passed an annual fitness (and / or LOTG) test

Reactions: Kes
The Referee Store
Tbh with you it surprises me that there are no weekly referee fitness groups to attend. Think it would be beneficial for referee fitness overall if folk could attend structured workouts with their colleagues

in the grand scheme of things, i'm certain teams would prefer any referee to potentially not having one at all, even if the ones they did get had passed an annual fitness (and / or LOTG) test

I agree, servicing the game and all that, just in black and white its not a great compromise, just having a ref is better than no ref.
We dont get gasman in to do a job unless he got his up to date Corgi badge, or do we just take any gas engineer as its better than none?
as said, numbers wise its not practical, but if it were my association, I would want the members, the people representing me, to be certified up to date with laws ( no reason why an online test cant be done once a year), and, certified to some acceptable level of fitness.
The clubs deserve a referee, they also deserve a referee who is capable of refereeing.

I agree.

First and foremost, grass roots level teams want someone impartial to officiate their matches end of. Having a decent level of fitness is secondary. :)

I agree, servicing the game and all that, just in black and white its not a great compromise, just having a ref is better than no ref.
We dont get gasman in to do a job unless he got his up to date Corgi badge, or do we just take any gas engineer as its better than none?
as said, numbers wise its not practical, but if it were my association, I would want the members, the people representing me, to be certified up to date with laws ( no reason why an online test cant be done once a year), and, certified to some acceptable level of fitness.
The clubs deserve a referee, they also deserve a referee who is capable of refereeing.

i am in complete agreement! i dont want to say i can never see this happening though, but it's miles off at the moment.

Tbh with you it surprises me that there are no weekly referee fitness groups to attend. Think it would be beneficial for referee fitness overall if folk could attend structured workouts with their colleagues

in Scotland we have weekly training nights.
Most associations do a mock test once a month too.
Not just fitness and practise for tests but it also gives you a chance to interact with other members
Our senior guys must attended regular, a register is taken and attendance is taken into consideration for promotions etc

Typical snowflake response - "why's stuff not laid on for us?". :rolleyes: :D ;)

Nice idea James but again, stuff like that costs money and time. Like you say, it would be beneficial to referees but not cost-effective for local RA/County FAs. Physical fitness is a personal responsibility. Get out there and get running lad!! :D

I agree.

First and foremost, grass roots level teams want someone impartial to officiate their matches end of. Having a decent level of fitness is secondary. :)

totally agree teams want impartial, but from a referee association side, whoever we send out there represents us.
Its a balancing act and of course numbers dictate
Old story tho, you or me turn up next week and apply up to date laws, whereas last weeks ref, although he turned up and was impartial, was unaware if the ball hit him and changed possession its now a drop ball and not a play on, and yip, it cost the team a goal
Thats not the referee making a mistake in the game, we all do that, its him making an error in law, which is entirely preventable

Reactions: es1
Typical snowflake response - "why's stuff not laid on for us?". :rolleyes: :D ;)

Nice idea James but again, stuff like that costs money and time. Like you say, it would be beneficial to referees but not cost-effective for local RA/County FAs. Physical fitness is a personal responsibility. Get out there and get running lad!! :D

doesnt need to be CFA/RA led, i tried to set something up with a fellow ref in york many years ago but we didnt get the interest.

doesnt need to be CFA/RA led,

I know.

It still needs someone qualified to run it and who has the time and inclination though. That was my point.

There are gyms, there are fitness classes run by gyms, there are personal trainers, there are live internet-based sessions as well and there is also the personal responsibility that a level 4 ref (or above) has to themselves to undertake physical fitness training. What more could anybody realistically want or need? (rhetorical question). :)

Far from a snowflake mate. I would be willing to pay. Not asking for anything to be laid on, but lots of CFAs have their own facilities, pitches etc. So charge fiver or ten quid for a group training session (there are people within CFAs with the knowledge for coaching etc.) and wham bam instantly improve the fitness of you refs that are willing to engage with the program and maybe turn a profit while you're are at it.

Far from a snowflake mate. I would be willing to pay. Not asking for anything to be laid on, but lots of CFAs have their own facilities, pitches etc. So charge fiver or ten quid for a group training session (there are people within CFAs with the knowledge for coaching etc.) and wham bam instantly improve the fitness of you refs that are willing to engage with the program and maybe turn a profit while you're are at it.
Also I am fit and I do take personal responsibility for my own fitness. Just think I would enjoy it more if it were a group thing lead by qualified person by my governing authority.

Also I am fit and I do take personal responsibility for my own fitness. Just think I would enjoy it more if it were a group thing lead by qualified person by my governing authority.

I would definitely be in the same boat.
Fancy popping over to Leeds for a weekly session?!

It isn't I agree, but equally it isn't difficult to do for someone with a good level of fitness. It's 13km/hour, and if you think about it that equates to a marathon time of around 3 hours 15 minutes. That sounds fast, but you aren't running a marathon and are actually running just over 6% of a marathon. If you train well you will pass it, and that training must include actually running around an athletics track.
IMHO 2600km cooper test should be straightforward for a serious referee.
But I also understand everyone has different starting points.
Another psych trick to play on yourself is to run a 4'30" km one week. Then run a 9m 2 km the next. It's amazing what it can do to the confidence when you get close to the goal. Then when you get to that - am I going to die now! moment - it's much easier to choose to carry on;)

I'm I to week 2 of my training program. Set to run a 10k on 31 October. My zone 3 pace was 9m pkm last week, this week just ver 8km. Polar gives a running index and mine is up from. 49 to 53 in two weeks, average up from 50 to 51. I can definitely feel a tiny bit faster but the most noticeable thing is I am bale to control the heart rate in a zone more instead of it spiking.

Unfortunately (and I make no reference to anything concerning race), with folk amassing in their thousands for whatever valid cause, our prospects of refereeing soon maybe drifting out the winda
Good luck with the whole Contact Tracing thing

I agree.

But the point is, that at L4 you are not officiating at Grass Roots level, you are operating at Semi-Pro level, with players getting paid and spectators paying to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back