A&H

Toffees v Spuds

The Referee Store
Did he get anything? Saw the challenge but not what the referee did.
Nothing other than a hand signal from the ref to settle...

Based on the replay I saw, a caution could have potentially been given, but sending off? No.

Whistle had already gone, It was a naughty tackle!!!
It was really poor from the officials. Alli was going one on one but obviously offside on 47 mins...
- flag was late
- whistle was later
- then Tierney inexplicably didn’t blow for half time
Pickford’s could have been a yellow but he didn’t catch him that badly. With no offside, pen, YC easy.
Alli, well after the whistle, kicks the ball away into the net. He’s been booked for it this seasons already.
- then Tierney jogs over has a word, presumably to say he’s about to blow
- then the IDFK is taken and he blows

I thought it was really poor from a prem ref.

Nothing other than a hand signal from the ref to settle...

Based on the replay I saw, a caution could have potentially been given, but sending off? No.
I'm not sure about a sending off either but what would you see as (potentially) a reason for the caution? I think we've had this discussion before but when an incident like this occurs when the ball is already out of play, your choices are rather constrained. The normal CRUEF criteria only apply to direct free kick offences and this can't be a DFK offence as the whistle's already gone. If there's not enough for VC (and I'm not convinced there is) none of the reasons for a caution that are given in the LotG, really apply. There is the 'catch-all' of USB but that doesn't really feel quite right either, for an act with this level of physicality.

To be honest, I was surprised at how mild Alli's reaction was (maybe something to do with being England colleagues?) but if someone had put that kind of challenge in on me after the whistle had already gone, I would be seriously, seriously annoyed and although I've never been the kind of person to get involved in physical altercations, I'd certainly be 'having a few words' with the opponent, at a minimum. I thought what Pickford did was seriously out of order and it was clear Alli was injured by Pickford's actions and it was the reason he didn't make it out for the second half. In the circumstances, I thought kicking the ball in a pretty much half-hearted manner was showing a fair amount of restraint.

Here's the tackle - https://streamable.com/1p3fc

That's a vicious legbreaker
The issue is trapping the shin between his legs, especially when doing so at high speed, and in mid-air at that. High risk of a serious breakage and this is clear SFP. At any level, it's inexcusable to not send this player off. Looked pretty intentional too - not even a suggestion that he was going for the ball.

I'm not sure about a sending off either but what would you see as (potentially) a reason for the caution? I think we've had this discussion before but when an incident like this occurs when the ball is already out of play, your choices are rather constrained. The normal CRUEF criteria only apply to direct free kick offences and this can't be a DFK offence as the whistle's already gone. If there's not enough for VC (and I'm not convinced there is) none of the reasons for a caution that are given in the LotG, really apply. There is the 'catch-all' of USB but that doesn't really feel quite right either, for an act with this level of physicality.
I think you're talking yourself in circles and overcomplicating it. If you would send off for SFP if the ball was in play, then it's still a RC for VC. You don't say that the fact that the ball was out of play makes it less serious.
You said a YC for USB doesn't feel right for that level of physicality. No, so that's why it's a RC.

Reactions: one
Yes, I think you have gone totally off piste there Peter. Havent seen the footage but I think possibly your summary shows poorly written laws as opposed to intent of law.

If a player commits a direct free kick offence whilst the ball out of play, we still use CREF to determine the sanction, surely? I understand that bar is sometimes lowered as to what category an offence falls into but this forms the basis for all contact offences..

An example, the ball runs out of play, in an attempt to prevent the ball leaving FOP an attacker recklessly challenges the opponent, however, this was after the ball left the FOP. That's still a caution for the offence, but the restart is according to how and where the ball left the FOP.

Thanks for the clip, not seen it since it was live, it’s red all day long, anywhere on the pitch (these days)
That was naughty with a bit of intent mixed in! Lucky boy!

With the benefit of replay, I'm going red. Live I would have most likely gone yellow. Live match speed doesn't show how bad of a tackle it actually was.

Back