A&H

TOSS OF THE COIN TO START PLAY

If we are talking coins, whats folks take on a ref, say with a unique special coin, doing his toss with it, then marching over to hand it to the 4th (am guessing so he can lose it instead)?
I know one ref who always gives his coin to AR1. I think it has become a superstition. Not even a special coin.

The Referee Store
I always let it hit the ground BUT.... NEVER pick it up until the players have walked away.

Often one of the players picks it up and hands it to me.

Nothing in the LOTG saying you should catch it. Putting your face low by the players' boots and not being able to see is a good way to get a cheap shot from a disgruntled player. No rush to get my coin.

I always let it hit the ground BUT.... NEVER pick it up until the players have walked away.

Often one of the players picks it up and hands it to me.

Nothing in the LOTG saying you should catch it. Putting your face low by the players' boots and not being able to see is a good way to get a cheap shot from a disgruntled player. No rush to get my coin.
Disgruntled players before you've even kicked off? :rolleyes: that good? :ninja:

If we are talking coins, whats folks take on a ref, say with a unique special coin, doing his toss with it, then marching over to hand it to the 4th (am guessing so he can lose it instead)?

Why would the referee march over, surely he would give it to the senior assistant who was going that way anyway? That's actually fairly common at senior levels, but I've never seen the referee had it only to the 4th man, only the assistant.

I cant and wont say any names
But somebody used to have a WC coin
And after toss, he stride over and gives it to 4th...

Played football all my life, a number of seasons as skipper and I never once gave a hoot about the coin toss and neither did the opposition. There's enough for referees to be conscious about before a match starts without worrying about formalities like this surely?

Disgruntled players before you've even kicked off? :rolleyes: that good? :ninja:
When you see many of the same teams? Yep. 4 red cards in three OA games including a mass confrontation. Some of these guys don't move on very well. I wouldn't put it past some of these guys to "accidentally" lose their balance or something else.

Oh and on the games today. I was AR1 when we had a mass confrontation resulting in two VC RC's and CR sent another off for SFP.

On the game I centered, only had 1 YC for DRP and a RC for OFINABUS

I hand the coin to the home team captain and tell the away team captain to call it in the air. Didn't think the assessors would care enough to mark it down

I tell them Home heads away tails then toss and catch the coin, show the captains, kick off job done.

Didn’t realise it was that big of a deal

When ever I have decided to let the coin drop on the floor it always ends up on the edge, so now I catch it and show it to the away captain. I would be sad if this was noted on an observation as surely it is the least important decision you have to make, whether to catch a coin or let it drop!

I once got marked down by an assessor for missing "a partially recumbent corner flag" it was apparently a way off standing vertical.....

I once got marked down by an assessor for missing "a partially recumbent corner flag" it was apparently a way off standing vertical.....
I once started a game without them whilst being observed.
I had failed to notice during my pitch inspection. Had to hold the game up a minute whilst I had the home.team go fetch them..

I once started a game without them whilst being observed.
I had failed to notice during my pitch inspection. Had to hold the game up a minute whilst I had the home.team go fetch them..
Did you get bonus marks for proving no one is perfect? :)

Sure I got a 76 or 77 which is a very good mark over here. I obviously went all out after that blunder bjt went on to have, imo a really good game.

Reactions: one
Back