A&H

TOT v LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The games that are replayed at grassroots are generally, and I struggle to think of an example that's not, a competition rule breach. Not a laws of the game error.
For example, sin bins used when not in comp rules, or playing extra time when should go straight to pens or vice versa.
There have been a lot for incorrect restarts following penalty kick encroachment, including at steps 4 and 5.

The Referee Store
The 1st 1 is mandatory for me. Clearly stops a promising attack. There was contact, albeit, very very minimal and once the foul is called its a yellow.
Thought he was lucky to get away with another one just before this, he was a walking red card in the 2nd half
I think he could have got away without a caution as the fouled player was running straight into Liverpool players, he certainly wasn't running into any kind of space. Not an incorrect caution by any means, but not sure it was mandatory. There is also an argument to say it was for persistent as Jota had committed a foul just before this one.

So, according to Dale Johnson, who’s generally well versed in all things VAR, the wrong decision was made because Darren England thought the goal had been given on field. The reason for the non-intervention (and failure to draw the lines) was that England apparently saw that Diaz was clearly onside and called check complete on the basis that that the on field call was onside…

Staggering. Genuinely staggering!

So, according to Dale Johnson, who’s generally well versed in all things VAR, the wrong decision was made because Darren England thought the goal had been given on field. The reason for the non-intervention (and failure to draw the lines) was that England apparently saw that Diaz was clearly onside and called check complete on the basis that that the on field call was onside…

If Dale correct then absolutely unbelievable error at this level .
Also Antony Taylor made poor decision on VAR review of Curtis Jones red card and first yellow card for Jota - terrible day all around for officials

Also Antony Taylor made poor decision on VAR review of Curtis Jones red card and first yellow card for Jota - terrible day all around for officials
Anthony Taylor was the VAR!
The review on Jones’ challenge was perfectly right for me and on a factual point, VAR cannot review yellow cards unless for mistaken identity.

Pretty impressive for Taylor to be refereeing a game on Merseyside that finished after 5pm and being in the VAR hub at Stockley Park in time for a 5:30pm kick off.

If you are going to criticise officials you really do need to get your facts straight first.

It feels like there’s a lot they could learn from rugby in developing clearer VAR protocols for how these discussions unfold. There’s a reason rugby TMOs say “you may award the try” and not “yep, check complete”.
Or just follow the protocols used in soccer. The first step should be to confirm the call on the field. And, I’m, how hard is it to see that the teams are setting up for a KO?!

the PL doesn’t need to look at other sports if it looks at how VAR protocols are used effectively in soocer

And when DE saw the restart is being taken as a free kick instead of a kick off he kept it quiet thinking he can sweep it under the carpet without anyone noticing? 😂 I think Dale Johnson should rethink his conspiracy theories.

I know we have pretty much agreed that Diaz's goal was not offside. But I have done a couple of images of my own using grass cutting lines (usually every 6 yards) to demonstrate it wasn't even close. The first one is what VAR used but the moment of touch is obstructed. the second one is a different angle showing ball touch.

1696132365670.png

1696133341938.png

1696138850114.png
Sorry, this doesn’t add up, it was clear watching it that the goal had been disallowed.

View attachment 6857
Sorry, this doesn’t add up, it was clear watching it that the goal had been disallowed.
Just watching MOTD again. AR clearly puts his flag up, Diaz goes to celebrate, but then stops, as he sees the flag. Crowd audibly jeering. VAR screen states, ‘checking disallowed goal - offside’. At what part of any of this does the VAR team think the goal has been given?
This ‘explanation’ is nonsense, and does the refereeing profession a disservice

I don't think the VAR puts up the 'checking disallowed goal' themselves. The explanation makes sense for how fast the check was completed and the VAR would be expected to say 'check complete' if not changing the on-field decision. It's probably the simplest explanation for what happened but that's no reason to doubt it, it seems most likely to me. It's enormously embarrassing to have that happen and I don't know what referees doubting that explanation are suggesting actually happened.

Or just follow the protocols used in soccer. The first step should be to confirm the call on the field. And, I’m, how hard is it to see that the teams are setting up for a KO?!

the PL doesn’t need to look at other sports if it looks at how VAR protocols are used effectively in soocer
I’m guessing the VAR discussion would have started with “onfield decision is goal” but that would have been talking to each other and not the referee? If so I’m with you but to “confirm” the call they need to talk to the ref at some point.

Would be really interesting to hear the audio that was going on at that point. From the clips that have been shown there alot of it is talking over each other, but I would have hoped the assistant would have been saying this will be flagged for offside once the movement is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back