A&H

Toting up

The Referee Store
Depends what you're cautioning for...

If it's a reckless challenge then C1, if you're cautioning him for the fourth careless foul then throw him in for C3.

You should know, hopefully you had a stoppage in the game, isolated player, took name, number, gave reason for caution then shows him the card.

if not, then, you prob need to revise your caution procedure.

When someone starts with ‘probably a silly question’......... what they aren’t looking for is some smart ass reply like that. You may have just made a new ref who isn’t feeling confident even less so, you may not have. Either way, get off your high horse

When someone starts with ‘probably a silly question’......... what they aren’t looking for is some smart ass reply like that. You may have just made a new ref who isn’t feeling confident even less so, you may not have. Either way, get off your high horse

Its the perfect reply and follows best practise at issuing a sanction at grass roots football
Only the ref himself will know why he gave the card so self reflection is the best learning tool
Had he followed the taught procedure, he would already have the answer to his own question
No high horse here but you learn from your own mistakes and if you have not given a reason for the caution at the time, you have created a rod for your own back

The ref, reading my take on it, hopefully will not make the same mistake again, i.e, he has now learned .

You can deem it smart ass if you want but I await with interest which part of what I typed is incorrect.

I also note your post provides no solution to the op, only a laughable attempt to start a rammy in a phone box.

To be fair, I think Ciley does have a valid point here.

We can't tell the new referee what the sanction is for, and really, he should know or have some idea of why he is cautioning a player. He can't caution them and then try to find the reason for it later.

Its the perfect reply and follows best practise at issuing a sanction at grass roots football
Only the ref himself will know why he gave the card so self reflection is the best learning tool
Had he followed the taught procedure, he would already have the answer to his own question
No high horse here but you learn from your own mistakes and if you have not given a reason for the caution at the time, you have created a rod for your own back

The ref, reading my take on it, hopefully will not make the same mistake again, i.e, he has now learned .

You can deem it smart ass if you want but I await with interest which part of what I typed is incorrect.

I also note your post provides no solution to the op, only a laughable attempt to start a rammy in a phone box.

RobOda has answered the question perfectly, no need for me to add to that. Your post is also factually correct. How you deliver those facts is often what defines support.

And starting a rammy in a phone box? Don’t flatter yourself.

RobOda has answered the question perfectly, no need for me to add to that. Your post is also factually correct. How you deliver those facts is often what defines support.

And starting a rammy in a phone box? Don’t flatter yourself.

You have already flattered me, thanks
When I need your take on how best to offer advice I will let you know
Black and white, short, sharp and to the point
Is my valid and preferred method

And you of course are welcome to yours.

Don't think i've ever issued a caution without quoting a code description and i doubt the player has ever appreciated my anal words 🤓

@RobOda has the right answer. If it happened to both be persistent infringement and reckless, then pick one (I'd probably go reckless, but no big deal). You warned the player about PI?

If it was just another minor foul and it was PI, then that's your caution.

Oh have a cry.
The OP asked a question. Your response was 'you should know'.

So yeah, absolute smart arse reply - a few too many posters are starting to show some real attitude to the new refs and making this site a bit hostile.
No stupid questions, but there are certainly stupid answers.

@RobOda has the right answer. If it happened to both be persistent infringement and reckless, then pick one (I'd probably go reckless, but no big deal). You warned the player about PI?

Oh have a cry.

So yeah, absolute smart arse reply - a few too many posters are starting to show some real attitude to the new refs and making this site a bit hostile.
And this post is a perfect example of both cases of stating the facts with a supportive tone and a 'smart arse' tone. For me appropriately used and well delivered in both cases :)

Oh have a cry.

of course the answer is he should know, he is the only person in the globe who will know. nobody else
Your saying my answer is stupid? My answer is factually correct. Only the ref on this entire site, will know the answer
And, had he followed what am sure the procedure he was taught, he would not need to ask
You don't know the answer to the OP
I dont
The OP does.

of course the answer is he should know, he is the only person in the globe who will know. nobody else
Your saying my answer is stupid? My answer is factually correct. Only the ref on this entire site, will know the answer
And, had he followed what am sure the procedure he was taught, he would not need to ask
You don't know the answer to the OP
I dont
The OP does.
Cheers up Miley, it’s not personal.... what does Falkirks Finest expect?

In fairness to Ciley, whether you’re a new ref or old ref you should probably know why you’re cautioning a player. If you don’t know why you are, then you shouldn’t be issuing a caution ...

3F0531F0-1ABB-40AC-AC38-5699F22CAD00.jpeg
It’s here mate, i’ve found the missing bit to your question... it should become clearer to us all now too... 🤔

In fairness to Ciley, whether you’re a new ref or old ref you should probably know why you’re cautioning a player. If you don’t know why you are, then you shouldn’t be issuing a caution ...
It's not about being right or wrong in in the logic. It's about delivery. Many ppl have been sacked from their jobs for delivering the right thing the wrong way.

The typically accepted administration of PI in England at least is that a player is given a final warning before PI caution. However, that's not mandatory, more, smart refereeing. If after the third foul, you plan on cautioning the next one, tell the player. Then when the card is out at the next one nobody can complain. Similarly it allows the player an opportunity to correct his behaviour.
Ciley is right on this one, despite his delivery not being what others would expect for a new referee. Only the referee knows the answer.
The simple way to look at it is, what made you go for the card? Did you think, that's four fouls now or did you think the challenge merited a caution in isolation.. You must of had some thought at the time, otherwise I too would question why you have issued a caution if you didn't know what it was for.
From an observation point of view. I think you'd want to pick PI. That's one of the standards in AOL. However I'd be wary doing that if you hadn't set him up for it first.
In the grand scheme of things the reason is neither here nor there from an admin point of view. A yellow is a yellow, the code is for the statisticians.

Ok I resisted the temptation for too long into this thread. It's not PI anymore it's PO. Move with the times :)
The transition from BUPA to SPA was pretty quick bit this one might take a while me thinks.

Ok I resisted the temptation for too long into this thread. It's not PI anymore it's PO. Move with the times :)
The transition from BUPA to SPA was pretty quick bit this one might take a while me thinks.
True. Good point.
However, for those of us in England the caution Code C3 is still for persistently infringing laws of the game so yes this one might take a while.

Back