A&H

Translation of L11 deflection/deliberate play please?!

Not sure what you mean by this. Played or touched has been in the LOTG for a very long time.

And the concept of a defense play but not touch as well.

And long before the narrowing of what a defense play was in recent years, one of the explanations for why it took a “play” by a defender to erase the OS restrictions was that if a defender was touched by the ball, it had still been last “played” by an attacker. So it had still been last played or touched by an attacker.
That sounds like another "explanation" invented to justify bad wording.

I've no idea what distinction was originally meant, when it was used to say it's not offside when "the ball last touched an opponent or was last played by him"). There was no "touched by" for the offside pass (by the team-mate), only when "the ball is played". It would be nice to think the present position is meant to make a distinction that "played or touched by" an opponent always intended - but that would mean that for decades it had been incorrectly applied by any touch by an opponent negating any offside.

The Referee Store
I have never claimed law 11 was well written; rather, I have consistently said that it should be completely taken apart and rewritten because the tweak model has long since failed . . . but the played or touched language for attackers goes back to at least '08 (the oldest book I have handy), , as does the distinction between play and rebound/deflection from a defender. (Though, of course, what is enough to be a "play" by the defender has changed fairly dramatically within that time period.)

I have never claimed law 11 was well written; rather, I have consistently said that it should be completely taken apart and rewritten because the tweak model has long since failed . . . but the played or touched language for attackers goes back to at least '08 (the oldest book I have handy), , as does the distinction between play and rebound/deflection from a defender. (Though, of course, what is enough to be a "play" by the defender has changed fairly dramatically within that time period.)
'08? That's this century...

My oldest is 1963....

Back