A&H

Trousers..

There have been threads yes. Last week in FA Cup match - Joe Hart borrowed a hat from the crowd because the sun was so low that he couldn't see.

It was clear that AR that side couldn't see either as he was frequently holding his hand over his eyes. Even my Mum noticed 'Aren't they allowed to wear caps?' she asked - Good question Mum!

Surely in this case it would have looked both more professional and would have been more efficient for the AR to don a cap?
Something like this...?
Referee Hat.png

The Referee Store
Chelsea V Spurs 1913...... Back in the day, no ref would have been seen in shorts as we see today! It was a pursuit of honourable gentlemen!! It was half trousers and a dickie bow!!
e2f3ae17c9abf552c045c9f289842460--british-football-retro-football.jpg

Chelsea V Spurs 1913...... Back in the day, no ref would have been seen in shorts as we see today! It was a pursuit of honourable gentlemen!! It was half trousers and a dickie bow!!
View attachment 1651

As I'm sure you know, this stems from the fact that the early referees were in fact on the touchline, and only got involved if the captains couldn't agree - hence the matters were REFERRED to the man on the sideline - obviously he had no need to run around so was dressed accordingly!

That's because the laws say they can.
So therefore, your statement that referees should not wear anything that players are not allowed to wear, would not preclude a referee wearing leggings or tracksuit trousers (which does not affect the suitability of them doing so).

For me this is more about the impression you create by the way you present yourself. A good impression right from the start means higher respect and more tolerance to mistakes and better match control. If you are not presenting yourself well then you have a bit more work to do right from the start to prove yourself and gain that extra bit of respect you could have had with a better presentation.

Impression is based on expectations. Most teams I referee don't expect to see a qualified referee to be running in the middle in his trackies. If they don't know me then their first assumption would be I probably won't be doing a decent job (if they do then they know i wont :) ) . PC or not its the reality and I'd rather start with a good impression.

If you are not as comfy as you can be, it plays on your mind too much that you are freezing, when indeed your sole focus should be on the game.
In a perfect world, your AR is picture perfect, newest gear and calls the big offside right at 0-0 with ten mins to go.
In a good world, he had trackies on and still gets the call right
In a world where he is frozen to bone, turning blue, his mind is preoccupied with his current state of health, he aint focussed on the game, misses the offside, but still looks the part because he has regulation shorts on.

Extreme I know but given the three senarios, I know which AR I hope I had, or was

As referee, no, I cant imagine ever wearing trackie bottoms, As AR, as we know, its possible to be stuck to the same spot for minutes at a time and then, whoosh, long through ball and your away again, then nothing for three four mins, muscles cool down, then, hey, your away again. 999 times out 1000 I would not expect AR in trackies but if it is whats needed one day, then am open to it.

If you are not as comfy as you can be, it plays on your mind too much that you are freezing, when indeed your sole focus should be on the game.
In a perfect world, your AR is picture perfect, newest gear and calls the big offside right at 0-0 with ten mins to go.
In a good world, he had trackies on and still gets the call right
In a world where he is frozen to bone, turning blue, his mind is preoccupied with his current state of health, he aint focussed on the game, misses the offside, but still looks the part because he has regulation shorts on.

Extreme I know but given the three senarios, I know which AR I hope I had, or was

As referee, no, I cant imagine ever wearing trackie bottoms, As AR, as we know, its possible to be stuck to the same spot for minutes at a time and then, whoosh, long through ball and your away again, then nothing for three four mins, muscles cool down, then, hey, your away again. 999 times out 1000 I would not expect AR in trackies but if it is whats needed one day, then am open to it.
How is it that your argument of 'being comfortable to make the right decision' doesn't apply to referees wearing trackies?
And why can't you keep yourself warm with something that looks more professional? It was mentioned in the earlier posts. There are lots of undershort/legging/tights out there designed to keep you warm.

Black trackies, underneath shorts and underneath socks. Unless examined under a microscope, would be the same as black leggings. The op was about trackies
Imo nothing wrong with trackies if thats what it takes to keep you comfy
As I also said, I did it as AR.

For a bit of context, I played football to a decent amateur/supply standard and wearing shorts in freezing temps doesn't bother me in the slightest. However, given the choice (today, if the game went ahead it was 1°) I think id prefer to wear tracksuit bottoms just as its more comfortable to do so(we're talking proper gear from A&H hear, not poppers lol). Now in the low standard Saturday amateur match I officiated in, my conduct, the way I spoke to the players and just my general demeanour means far more to how the players view me than my kit. I'd suggest that worrying about such things suggests a lack of confidence in yourself not the players. I had a chat and a laugh with both sets of players before kick off and is be amazed if they noticed or cared what I wore after 30 seconds. Your body language and demeanor are everything, your kit is just decoration

For a bit of context, I played football to a decent amateur/supply standard and wearing shorts in freezing temps doesn't bother me in the slightest. However, given the choice (today, if the game went ahead it was 1°) I think id prefer to wear tracksuit bottoms just as its more comfortable to do so(we're talking proper gear from A&H hear, not poppers lol). Now in the low standard Saturday amateur match I officiated in, my conduct, the way I spoke to the players and just my general demeanour means far more to how the players view me than my kit. I'd suggest that worrying about such things suggests a lack of confidence in yourself not the players. I had a chat and a laugh with both sets of players before kick off and is be amazed if they noticed or cared what I wore after 30 seconds. Your body language and demeanor are everything, your kit is just decoration
I think it’s spot on! Wear what makes you feel comfortable! If your comfortable you’ll always give a better performance

Personally I wouldn’t wear tracksuit trousers, but I run very hot any way so I can’t even wear gloves or a hat when I’m out running etc, as I sweat too much and get uncomfortable.

And there is some merit to us, as referees, not wearing something that we wouldn’t allow a player to wear.

The thought has never crossed my mind, yesterday was the first time I planned on wearing a long sleeve shirt (it was snowing) but I called the game off any way due to a water logged pitch.

But I’m a realist, and i don’t see an issue with black leggings under the shorts and socks, and I wouldn’t prevent my ARs from wearing gloves or a hat if they felt they needed them to keep warm.

As for whether it would affect your match control? I’m not sure, but if you’ve told a player to take off leggings that are the wrong colour and then rock up for the kick off in tracksuit bottoms they might not be too happy.

Wearing the correct kit doesn’t make you a better or worse referee, and while it might aggravate my ocd (12 years in the grenadier guards has got me quite keen on clean boots etc) I think people should wear whatever they need to be comfortable and to perform to the best of their abilities

Back