A&H

U14 boys red card

Xavier

Hi I was refereeing a u14 boys game today it was the last minute of the game and striker was through on goal and then the defender wiped him out. Would you have given a red card

The Referee Store
Hi I was refereeing a u14 boys game today it was the last minute of the game and striker was through on goal and then the defender wiped him out. Would you have given a red card

Seems harsh doesn’t it.. where do you draw the line here about applying the laws properly or not….? I would say 99.9% of the time here I am giving a red card. Only time I’m not? Not sure until I’m there! Perhaps you could suggest to the manager that the player leaves the FOP for the remainder of the game and not actually show the red card. Will he learn not to do that for the next game this way? Unsure…

Seems harsh doesn’t it.. where do you draw the line here about applying the laws properly or not….? I would say 99.9% of the time here I am giving a red card. Only time I’m not? Not sure until I’m there! Perhaps you could suggest to the manager that the player leaves the FOP for the remainder of the game and not actually show the red card. Will he learn not to do that for the next game this way? Unsure…
Do you think I should have given it then?

Not enough info?
Where on the pitch?
If in PA was it an attempt for the ball?
Was it even DOGSO?

I would. IMO, U14 is real soccer and DOGSO applies. (But what is an OGSO at 14 is much more narrow than at older, more skilled levels.)

For me age is a factor only when considering skill level. An U12 or younger may be as likely to miscontrol or fall over on their own as run through and score. T

But at older age groups the skill level is higher and the closer to goal they are, the more likely it is to be an obvious chance to score.

On its own age doesn’t dictate the action I take, otherwise where would the line be drawn?

There are multiple threads on this topic on here. In as non-judgemental a way as possible, I suggest you read through these to help you for next time. That way, if you’re challenged you can be sure of making a solid case in your own defence.

On the first of my qualifying games right after completing the course one of the course instructors was observing me. It was U13 and a player saved a goal with his hand (not the GK).

On the course we had had a discussion about cards in youth football. My takeaway was that a red card offence other than for violent conduct or OFFINABUS could be dealt with by asking the coach to substitute the player concerned. This is what I duly did.

At half time the instructor had a pink fit at me. I still have the email I sent to the other instructor asking what I had misunderstood so from an account that was fresh in my mind he said "Do you know the laws?"

"yes, but my understanding was ..."
"DO YOU KNOW THE LAWS? WHAT ARE THE TEN PENAL OFFENCES? YOU ARE HERE TO ENFORCE THE LAWS!"

He tore strips off me for about a minute, I had to actually tell him to calm down and explain I wasn't prepared to be spoken to like this. The players were waiting to restart.

TL;DR yes, issue the red card.

He tore strips off me for about a minute, I had to actually tell him to calm down and explain I wasn't prepared to be spoken to like this. The players were waiting to restart.
Sounds a bit extra from the instructor, especially when they're present to mentor and encourage you to course completion, hardly good for your motivation at the time, surely?

I actually had that today in my U14 game, 5 minutes to go, away team back against the wall at 4-2 up but counter attack, keeper comes storming out (for some reason defenders would’ve eventually got there), striker knocks it past keeper and keeper carelessly brings him down. Clear foul.

Thankfully for the keeper, his defenders had got back and won the ball otherwise I’d have had a tough call to make. If defenders hadn’t have been there he’d have likely been off. Away team scored from it and then scored again to make it 6-2.

After the match away manager came up to ask me why it wasn’t a red and I explained it was due to the fact two defenders were they. He explained he didn’t have a problem with it and was only asking because a ref had given them a red card for DOGSO the other week and he wanted to appeal it because it wasn’t malicious.

I gave an U12 Dogso-r last week. It was so blatant, big shirt pull, edge of the box, big break away, so nailed on, nowhere to hide. Made easy as the player knew exactly what they were doing.

Just imagine the messy you are sending if you don’t apply the laws?

Thank you for your replies. From this I have learned that I have made the wrong decision and should have given the red no matter what the age. I am a 15 yr old referee so I learn from my mistakes and move on to the next game. Thanks for all the replies again

Back