A&H

USWNT vs Haiti

Peter Grove

RefChat Addict
Possibly the worst offside decision I've seen in a long time - although there was that one where an AR in a Premier League game gave a player offside who was in his own half when the ball was played. The relevant bit starts at about 1m 28s.

The AR who flagged this as offside has apparently been sent home already.

The Referee Store
Wow... yeah, the referee deserves to be sent home too. How do some officials make it onto the FIFA list when they're capable of errors in law like this?!

That's inexcusable. Never like to be critical of refs, but that is as basic as it gets.

Hey, calm down. Any official to make it this far knows this. So this can only have been a brainf**t.
I feel for the AR here.
It won’t be the first time someone drops a clanger in the biggest show.

I imagine they are absolutely gutted. Quite right to be sent home from a major international.

But also reminds me of a brilliant young referee who dropped a red card clanger in a youth tournament and went on to ref a big final because of their attitude, potential, mentoring etc.

It’s about how you bounce back. And how you can help others bounce back!

Hey, calm down. Any official to make it this far knows this. So this can only have been a brainf**t.
I feel for the AR here.
It won’t be the first time someone drops a clanger in the biggest show.
Agreed. Any ONE official can lapse, though obviously the ones selected for international matches should be least likely to do so. However, what amazes me is that the centre referee compounds the error. This should be a simple jog over for a consultation, agree the AR messed up and then signal confidently that the goal stands!

Ouch. It's in the first 17 minutes. I wonder if the occasion got to them and they had a moment of madness.
We can all make mistakes - even the best make slips. All we can do is learn from those that make theirs in the public eye.

No excuses for this one I'm afraid. Assuming they are FIFA officials I suspect they won't be for much longer.

The mistake is inexcusable and the officials will pay a heavy price in the short term but I hope they get a chance to redeem themselves in time.
However, with equality and fair play at the forefront of the USWNT's mind right now surely they missed a trick here? A simple concession of the goal and "ref, you're wrong" would have won them the hearts and minds of almost every football fan across the world.

A new positioning for inswinging corners is being taught when no defenders are on the post. The AR is to stand in line with the second last defender and not on the goal line. I suspect the AR got herself tangled up practicing this position.

This reminder me of a couple WWC back when a defender caught the ball in her PA, held it for a couple of seconds and then dropped it. All this in front of the ref and she was completely oblivious to it despite attacker protests. Play continued. This happens when the brain is turned off. At this level, you can't have that. Even worse when the whole team of them gets it wrong.

A new positioning for inswinging corners is being taught when no defenders are on the post. The AR is to stand in line with the second last defender and not on the goal line. I suspect the AR got herself tangled up practicing this position.

This reminder me of a couple WWC back when a defender caught the ball in her PA, held it for a couple of seconds and then dropped it. All this in front of the ref and she was completely oblivious to it despite attacker protests. Play continued. This happens when the brain is turned off. At this level, you can't have that. Even worse when the whole team of them gets it wrong.

Remember that one, truly astonishing.

Back