A&H

VAR Consistency

The media clearly wants controversy and argument above all else. They could not care less about what is “right”, what the referee viewpoint is, etc. They want the officials to be a punching bag, and then we wonder why grassroots referees are treated as they are.
Exactly as I said in another thread, Controversy Creates Cash.

I’d actually love it if they did a trial period in which ex-pros were the VAR. Get them on a basic referees course, whatever VAR training is given and then put them in the hot seat. See how critical they can be of each other.

The Referee Store
After the controversies last weekend, VAR had an interesting day today. It looks like they have over corrected and not got involved in advising the on field referees to review. These over corrections is what leads to fans seeing injustice when there are inconsistencies in when and how VAR is used.

VAR needs to be used the same every week and not altered depending on how much they have been slated in the media the previous week. The only way to stop the media and the pundits slating it is by not pandering to them each week.

After the controversies last weekend, VAR had an interesting day today. It looks like they have over corrected and not got involved in advising the on field referees to review. These over corrections is what leads to fans seeing injustice when there are inconsistencies in when and how VAR is used.

VAR needs to be used the same every week and not altered depending on how much they have been slated in the media the previous week. The only way to stop the media and the pundits slating it is by not pandering to them each week.
I fully agree with you. However, the media are mainly to blame for this.

They go out on the attack of referees, criticising them. You then get people like Mike Dean who are going out to try and explain why X,Y & Z has happened, but they don’t want to listen (Soccer Saturday this weekend)

If they didn’t make tweaks to VAR, PGMOL would be criticised for being arrogant.

People didn’t like VAR’s input last week, so I’m guessing this week they’ve decided to step back a bit. Now they want the exact opposite. Ultimately they don’t know what they want, but at the same time, they do know what they want. They want controversy, as that sells papers and acts as click bait.

This season’s total VAR catastrophes to my recollection:

-Wolves missed pen vs ManU
-Konsa Villa missed RC vs Bton (and 2 Villa goals !)
-Kovacic missed RC vs Arse
-Diaz missed goal
-Dunk missed RC vs Liv

I don’t buy this “here to stay” nonsense. It’s so bad. Bin it.

Talks*** highlighted tonight how the protocol is not working because the VAR operators are failing the on field team. They also compared it with rugby where the referee explains the on field decision first and what he/she has seen.

I am firmly in the it solves some problems, but isn't worth it overall camp. Rugby is not a good example, and i don't understand why people bring it up as a model; Rugby is utterly hopeless in the stadium for fans- the game is always stopping, slow to restart and TMO slows down the game more, in a game which already struggles for flow.

Football for me is all about the flow & speed of the game. VAR pauses simply aren't worth the disruption.

Last edited:
I like the game better without it, too. But I do think the genie is out of the bottle and never going back. i don’t see anyway there will be a consensus to get rid of it. (I also think the PL has a long way to go to catch up to places that are doing it much better than they are.)

Back