A&H

VAR Farce Part Deux

The Referee Store
Jarred Gillet is the ref there, mic’d in his final A-League game before he moved to the UK. The full video is a really nice watch:

Yeah I’ve seen the 10/15 min(?) version. Just proves it can be done though. Maybe not the entire discussion but as soon as VAR’s involved get it over the tannoy/tv feed. No hiding place for random calls and everyone knows exactly what’s going on.

I don’t see what the problem is.

the mess they made of sane goal the other day convinces me the select group want var to fail, goodness knows how many screens
john moss was sat behind and he still got it WRONG

Yeah I’ve seen the 10/15 min(?) version. Just proves it can be done though. Maybe not the entire discussion but as soon as VAR’s involved get it over the tannoy/tv feed. No hiding place for random calls and everyone knows exactly what’s going on.

I don’t see what the problem is.
I read (maybe on here or somewhere else) that part of the issue is the background noise being picked up I.E players/fans swearing. During a live game, it's difficult for that to be filtered out

I read (maybe on here or somewhere else) that part of the issue is the background noise being picked up I.E players/fans swearing. During a live game, it's difficult for that to be filtered out

Possibly. Doesn’t really add up as the swearing will be heard by those in the stands anyway, as it’s coming from the stands and the TV is constantly picking it up- unavoidable.

I’m sure there’s a microphone out there that’s noise cancelling.

Possibly. Doesn’t really add up as the swearing will be heard by those in the stands anyway, as it’s coming from the stands and the TV is constantly picking it up- unavoidable.

I’m sure there’s a microphone out there that’s noise cancelling.

It picks it up, but they are very quick to either filter it out or play crowd noise over the top instead. If you've got a player 2 yards away swearing at your, even just in casual speak and not dissent, it's very difficult to take the sound from one voice and not another on the spot

It picks it up, but they are very quick to either filter it out or play crowd noise over the top instead. If you've got a player 2 yards away swearing at your, even just in casual speak and not dissent, it's very difficult to take the sound from one voice and not another on the spot

I’m not envisaging a scenario where the ref would go on the public mic with players surrounding him. Personally I’d like to see the ref move towards to VAR screen, give it a 5 meter exclusion zone for players (even if it’s an imaginary line) then play all the communications to the public when there.

Avoids the above scenario.

I’m not envisaging a scenario where the ref would go on the public mic with players surrounding him. Personally I’d like to see the ref move towards to VAR screen, give it a 5 meter exclusion zone for players (even if it’s an imaginary line) then play all the communications to the public when there.

Avoids the above scenario.

I would like the see the ref move towards the VAR screen, full stop.

Struggling to imagine a Premier League game where the team of officials do it exactly like the video in the original post, without half a dozen blokes all calling them cheats and c**ts during the review, a moron ex-pro commentator talking all kinds of balls and twitter exploding in a conspiracy about how a completely different decision last week went different. Not sure English football deserves referees tbh 😂

I’ve said before, vAR in principle is a good idea, the EPL version though is absolutely awful, 1/3 season gone and I wouldn’t wish it on any other league! You’ve no clue in the ground what’s happening and you can’t celebrate goals anymore without looking a plonker. Even when they check stuff they’re fudging decisions that are obviously wrong and even changing decisions for minuscule minutia of doubt that seems loaded certain ways so far, enough said!
It’s here to stay but it needs major surgery to work properly.

I’ve said before, vAR in principle is a good idea, the EPL version though is absolutely awful, 1/3 season gone and I wouldn’t wish it on any other league! You’ve no clue in the ground what’s happening and you can’t celebrate goals anymore without looking a plonker. Even when they check stuff they’re fudging decisions that are obviously wrong and even changing decisions for minuscule minutia of doubt that seems loaded certain ways so far, enough said!
It’s here to stay but it needs major surgery to work properly.
Just to clarify, what exactly is the consensus of "the EPL version" compared to lets say the "Australian version" (considering I'm in Australia, and the video above is in Australia.) Is it just the fact that we have a sideline monitor available to the referee? The World Cup was the same method, wasn't it? If that's the case, I struggle to believe that this isnt the case in the EPL. Should add I haven't bothered to watch an EPL game (just highlights here and there) yet this season, so I'm not sure what the method exactly is.

@WiisardNic The bonkers thing is that the EPL *has* pitchside monitors and in the 170 matches so far this season, not a single referee has used one.
It's weird. I don't think I would ever allow myself to be in a position like that if officiating with VAR. I wouldn't let someone else decide for me, I'd be adamant to go check for myself, on the advice of whoever is in my ear.

It’s crazy. The PGMOL shouldn’t be in a position where they can decide how and when to use it IMO. It should be used to it’s full capability with the same level of transparency cricket uses whilst a decision is being reviewed.

Why not?

Not buying into the ******** it’ll take too long to check the monitor. We’re already waiting minutes for wrong decisions, I’d take an extra 30 seconds for a correct one.

It’s crazy. The PGMOL shouldn’t be in a position where they can decide how and when to use it IMO. It should be used to it’s full capability with the same level of transparency cricket uses whilst a decision is being reviewed.

Why not?

Not buying into the ******** it’ll take too long to check the monitor. We’re already waiting minutes for wrong decisions, I’d take an extra 30 seconds for a correct one.

I posted similar in another thread to what I’m going to say, but wouldn’t surprise me if we get a firm mandatory procedure from IFAB in the summer. This being based on evidence gathered from all competitions using VAR.

Is the monitor a good tool? (Check Bundesliga and Premier League; arrive at conclusion)

Do we set time limit? (Review average time taken)

If so is that for whole process or to call referee to monitor? If the latter, does clock reset?

3D “wall” instead of lines for offside?

—————

Remember the goal line technology trials? Hawkeye won, but we also had “Goal control” that took a while with its animations - blue screen drawing out goal posts, bar and line before showing whether in or not.

It was binned because it was rubbish. But it was another approach and was tested first.

It’s set a precedent so I for one won’t be surprised if the different approaches are now part of a wider experiment. Might not have been the original intention but some thinking-on-the-feet.

Back