A&H

Want my first promotion

Off topic somewhat, but was there a time when obstruction was penalised by an IDFK??
WRT PIADM, I'd quite enjoy the opportunity to award an IDFK against a defensive player in the PA
I fancy there'd be no complaints from either team if identified correctly. The defensive team would sigh breathe a sigh of relief on realising it's not a PK and the offensive team would be placated by the challenge of scoring from close range (albeit with a wall of players to beat)
"An indirect free kick is awarded if a player:
• impedes the progress of an opponent without any contact being made"

The Referee Store
It should be standard across the country as covered by rule 4(e) is the regulations for control and registration of referees document, as below ...

A Level 7 Referee must officiate as a Referee in a minimum of 20 games in one registration period before applying for promotion. No Affiliated Association may impose any other qualification periods which cause delayed passage through the promotion pyramid

I’ve done a bit of research and I’m 80% sure that you don’t need to have done adults games before applying but you need to complete 20 games (I think maybe like 3-5 can be youth) for the promotion

I’ve done a bit of research and I’m 80% sure that you don’t need to have done adults games before applying but you need to complete 20 games (I think maybe like 3-5 can be youth) for the promotion

You are correct - you need to do 20 games before enrolling on the promotion scheme, but they don’t have to be OA.

Once on the scheme, you have to do (at least) 20 qualifying games, of which up to six can be U18 (but above U16), the est. use be OA

Besides, who would know with any accuracy, how many games a L7 had refereed in the preceding registration period?
Do refsecs report numbers to the CFA each season? Are they supposed to report club marks? Very few of us enter all games into WGS

I’m always baffled why some people think promotions are always a good thing.?The genaeral feedback I’ve seen at 4 and above is that it is for no money, long hours and it’s very bitchy and cut throat.. Good luck wanting that 👍

I’m always baffled why some people think promotions are always a good thing.?The genaeral feedback I’ve seen at 4 and above is that it is for no money, long hours and it’s very bitchy and cut throat.. Good luck wanting that 👍
It can indeed be all those things you mention! However you're also involved in decent quality games with hundreds, sometimes even thousands of spectators which really tests your skills to the limits. There can be fantastic camaraderie working in teams of three and learning from a multitude of (even higher) quality referees. Many of the games are videoed so you get to see first hand when you do good (and less good!) things. For anyone who is competitive and likes to really push themselves it is a tremendous buzz. But it's certainly not for everyone and there's plenty of enjoyment to be had at grass roots as well :)

Promotions, at least to level 5, are a good thing. I mean who wouldn't want someone neutral and more experienced to come and watch your games. Give you honest, constructive development and give you a pat on the back for doing well? And then who wouldn't want the more advanced games and additional challenges that come along with it?
You've well documented how you were never interested in it, which was your perogative, but I don't get why you take every opportunity to say how poor the system is despite never having experienced it and your opinion being at odds with almost all of the folk who have.
Yes, the system is not perfect but it does create opportunity to learn and improve and surely wanting that can only be a good thing.

Promotions, at least to level 5, are a good thing. I mean who wouldn't want someone neutral and more experienced to come and watch your games. Give you honest, constructive development and give you a pat on the back for doing well? And then who wouldn't want the more advanced games and additional challenges that come along with it?
You've well documented how you were never interested in it, which was your perogative, but I don't get why you take every opportunity to say how poor the system is despite never having experienced it and your opinion being at odds with almost all of the folk who have.
Yes, the system is not perfect but it does create opportunity to learn and improve and surely wanting that can only be a good thing.
Fair response but I’ve never heard one person say it’s enjoyable or worthwhile financially. Legs are being lifted to coin a phrase. A hobby not a job...

Fair response but I’ve never heard one person say it’s enjoyable or worthwhile financially. Legs are being lifted to coin a phrase. A hobby not a job...

It is enjoyable. I initially had no intention of going for promotion from L7-6. Did a couple of seasons as a 7 and got talked into going for promotion after I joined my supply league as an AR.

What I've found going from 7 to my current level of 5 (and now just entering my 5-4 season):

1) Standard of football is better and much quicker - makes the games more challenging and helps my development
2) Grounds you go to become better, with nicer facilities and a more professional setup in terms of the whole match day experience
3) You get to work more in teams of 3, either as an AR, or (as a 5) for some games with Neutral AR's of your own
4) You get a greater variety of locations to go to to referee

Yes there are downsides - I now have to go to games in shirt and tie as opposed to a tracksuit. I am expected to arrive earlier to games, often at grounds that are 40 minutes plus drive from my home. The leagues I do all operate on a fixed fee basis, so can sometimes be a 90 mile round trip to a game for a £40 match fee.

I've stepped in and refereed games that L7's would cover in a few instances and even with feisty teams, I've always found them to be pretty straightforward to do and really not that challenging.

Am I going to get rich refereeing? No. Am I going to be able to quit working and become a full time referee? No. Are there some things that I don't like about how the game is operated and run? Yes, absolutely, but nothing is ever perfect in anything we do!

Since I started refereeing and stopped playing I’ve always wanted to do it as a living. Thought that might change but a year later I’m even more determined. At the moment I’m enjoying youth but at one of my first observations, I was told to push myself and not do youth forever. Definitely want to try and climb the ladder as soon as I can without rushing into anything

Since I started refereeing and stopped playing I’ve always wanted to do it as a living. Thought that might change but a year later I’m even more determined. At the moment I’m enjoying youth but at one of my first observations, I was told to push myself and not do youth forever. Definitely want to try and climb the ladder as soon as I can without rushing into anything

Nowt wrong with ambition mate.

You've had a ton of good advice on this thread already from guys "in-the-know" so my only advice would be to echo what one or two others have said which is to cut your teeth on OA matches for at least a full season before applying for promotion. OA games are a different kettle of fish for a teenager especially at grass roots level for a myriad of reasons. You'll learn a lot more, and quickly, especially about yourself and your own strengths and shortcomings as a referee.

Experience it and make it your new comfort zone for yourself first before inviting a promotion assessment of it.

Best of luck with it, whatever you decide. :)

^^^ Agree completely ^^^
Don't sit your driving test 'til you've mastered Tesco's car park

I'm on the accelerated promotion scheme from 7-5. I passed my level 7 exam and then went straight for it. I know myself I need to improve in areas and whilst getting another season under my belt may have been good, I also could have been making the same mistakes over and over.

I've had one assessment so far, still awaiting the feedback but the debrief positive, most of the issues raised were to do with my signalling and whistle tone.

Have another observation this weekend and I'm looking forward to it, I want to identify areas in my game that I can improve and having a neutral perspective is great.

Exactly, if you're taking a season with no assessments, that's a recipe for getting into bad habits I think.

It should be standard across the country as covered by rule 4(e) is the regulations for control and registration of referees document, as below ...

A Level 7 Referee must officiate as a Referee in a minimum of 20 games in one registration period before applying for promotion. No Affiliated Association may impose any other qualification periods which cause delayed passage through the promotion pyramid
As @RustyRef indicated, the rule regarding 20 games should be imposed by all CFA's (for good reason)
Whilst it's true that a green referee could benefit from observations, most of our learning comes from making mistakes; assuming we have some nous and self-awareness. It's not difficult to envisage a premature double-jumper stumbling through some fortuitous observations, only to find themselves chucked in the deep end with no arm-bands
Navigating a 'probation period' alone trumps hand-holding, which is why the rule is stipulated. Running before toddling may work for some, but i bet it goes pear shaped for most

Any promotion system that involves Club Marks as any form of measure isn’t worth anything. Properly funded assessors can be the only way forward...

How can a team judge fairly you doing your job properly when it directly affects them positively or negatively. That’s just stupid logic...

I sent a manager away from the FOP a few weeks ago as he threatened one of the opposition players in the 2nd minute of the match and he came on the pitch to do it (first name terms so there must have been some history there!). That manager is responsible for my marks that day. The choice I have next time is to either do the right thing and reduce my promotion chances (just started my promotion attempt) or ignore it and risk a nasty situation but increase my club marks. I want to get promoted but I'm 35 so I'm past worrying about such matters, but would a young ref do the right thing every time?

Any promotion system that involves Club Marks as any form of measure isn’t worth anything. Properly funded assessors can be the only way forward...

How can a team judge fairly you doing your job properly when it directly affects them positively or negatively. That’s just stupid logic...
7-5 only needs club marks if a referee hasn't had enough observations. Only when it gets to level 4 and above do club marks become part of the promotion criteria.

I sent a manager away from the FOP a few weeks ago as he threatened one of the opposition players in the 2nd minute of the match and he came on the pitch to do it (first name terms so there must have been some history there!). That manager is responsible for my marks that day. The choice I have next time is to either do the right thing and reduce my promotion chances (just started my promotion attempt) or ignore it and risk a nasty situation but increase my club marks. I want to get promoted but I'm 35 so I'm past worrying about such matters, but would a young ref do the right thing every time?
Club marks are unlikely to factor at our level
@JamesL beat me to it

Back