A&H

WAT vs MUN

one

RefChat Addict
The pen in the 8th should not have been a retake. It should have been an IFK. Had the retake been scored, the game prob would have been replayed.

The Referee Store
It didn't look like it but the one who scored definitely did. Others didn't impact the outcome from memory.

It didn't look like it but the one who scored definitely did. Others didn't impact the outcome from memory.
That was my thought aswell, good that I'm not the only one. If the goalkeeper encroaches, a retake would be right. But the ManU players encroaching had no impact on the penalty taker, and the penalty was saved.

Watched on Sky Sports App, I think you would have a weak argument that both attackers & defenders were encroaching, the expectation would or could have been indirect free kick.

Watched on Sky Sports App, I think you would have a weak argument that both attackers & defenders were encroaching, the expectation would or could have been indirect free kick.
I disagree here. If it goes to VAR, you have to be very forensic and come to the right decision. Also, for encroaching, the position of the feet is considered, not the upper body. And as the line is also the penalty area, both teams are always encroaching.

Why wasn't the penalty a Dogso? Rugby tackle to the floor is not an attempt to play the ball. Should have been off imo.

I must admit I lose the will to live trying to make sense of how the procedure rules for law 14 are laid out. Apart from the "summary table", where does it say what to do in these circumstances?

Decide for yourself. I do think though, even if all man U players were 5 yards behind the line, they would have retaken this.

Screenshot_20211121-041247__01.jpg

The pen in the 8th should not have been a retake. It should have been an IFK. Had the retake been scored, the game prob would have been replayed.

No protests around a var decision.
In principle, a match is not invalidated because of:

malfunction(s) of the VAR technology (as for goal line technology (GLT))

wrong decision(s) involving the VAR (as the VAR is a match official)

decision(s) not to review an incident

review(s) of a non-reviewable situation/decision

This is not about VAR. If the referee makes a clear error in law (with or without VAR) that changes the outcome of a match, the match may be replayed.

For example if a player kicks the ball directly into his own goal from a free kick and the referee awards an own goal then there is grounds for replay.

In the OP, on the first taking of the penalty, a goal was not scored form the penalty kick, no defenders committed an offence (this may be debated), but the referee gave a retake. That would be an error in law.

I must admit I lose the will to live trying to make sense of how the procedure rules for law 14 are laid out. Apart from the "summary table", where does it say what to do in these circumstances?
Someone help me out here.

I see no narrative about this - just in the summary table, where encroachment by defending and attacking players is a retake.

"Impacting"? Only relevant to offences by the GK.

"For encroaching, the position of the feet is considered, not the upper body". Says who?

Is this another case of "secret knowledge"?

I see no narrative about this - just in the summary table, where encroachment by defending and attacking players is a retake.

"For encroaching, the position of the feet is considered, not the upper body". Says who?

I am not sure about your questions. You have asked for help to answer a lot of what seem to be rhetorical questions. I think it will be a lot easier if you told us the points you are trying to make? :)

I am not sure about your questions. You have asked for help to answer a lot of what seem to be rhetorical questions. I think it will be a lot easier if you told us the points you are trying to make? :)

I think it's a fair point tbh. Where is encroachment measured from? Feet position? Head position? Nothing about it in the good book

Ok I will give it 'my' answers since @es1 thinks you are asking fair and valid question. But at the very least I think there is plenty of sarcasm in it. :)

The narrative is in a couple of points. The procedure requires "The players other than the kicker and goalkeeper must be: outside the penalty area" and then in offences section later "a player of both teams offends, the kick is retaken unless ..."

"impacting" is in the VAR protocol. If encroaching players don't impact, the VAR doesn't get involved. Without VAR the referee should punish all encroachments but we all know that doesn't happen.

For position of body of field players, it's not written anywhere but rather an accepted convention of position of feet is used.

For op, I firmly believe if Femenia (I think) who scored the goal was standing in a position similar to any of Man U players (as per my image above), the goal would have stood. Implying non of Man U players are encroaching.

For op, I firmly believe if Femenia (I think) who scored the goal was standing in a position similar to any of Man U players (as per my image above), the goal would have stood. Implying non of Man U players are encroaching.

I think you're right about that,

Just watching it on MOTD and the commentator immediately points out the double encroachment and I have to say I thought it was a stretch. Figured it was my Man United bias kicking in so good to see some on here thinking same 😂

So if it’s given for encroachment by attacking and defending player it’s a retake right? However I agree with One, to call the defending players encroaching is harsh. It’s the only thing I can think they’ve given it for tho or else why would it be a retake?

Reactions: es1
Back