A&H

WBA vs BRI

It was embarassing, Mason is meant to be one of the FAs top refs and makes an error what you probably wont see on a local parks game. Mason will still be refereeing Premier League in 20yrs time

The Referee Store
I am intrigued by the views expressed here that the referee should be waiting for the goalkeeper to organise his defence, possibly calling players from some distance to join the "wall", then positioning himself for the kick - the free kick was awarded because of an offence by a member of the defending team, and once the referee says "On the whistle" it's the goalkeeper's job to be ready . . . not the referee's job to wait for him.
It is the referees job to be fair to both sides. Ceremonial free kick process is not written in the LOTG but it is commonly accepted by both defenders and attackers. Once the referee starts a CFK then going against the expectation to favour one side (attackers or defenders) is simply unfair.

side note: the Australian printed version of lotg has guidelines for CFK. Note step 7.

IMG_20210228_233306__01.jpg

It's difficult to gauge what level of criticism is appropriate. Yes, he's human and all referees are fallible; on the other hand, if some one is not good enough to grace the field of play at professional level (or any level for that matter), they're gonna get called out and that experience is never likely to be nice
That's life
To me, blame lies with everyone involved. In particular, the PGMOL and the selection process for SG1/SG2, both of which carry referees for many many years who are nowhere near up to standard. Since taking to the whistle, it's become apparent to me that there's something not right with Referee Development and Promotion. If we want to progress, we have to adhere to someone else's creed and there's virtually no scope for finding talent through 'natural selection'. Either strictly obey the cardboard cut-out code, otherwise forget about progressing
WRT Mason, he just doesn't look right on the FOP. His scuttling running style, age, body-language and overall ability falls a long way short of my expectation and that type of comment and criticism is just a fact of life for anyone under-preforming in the public-eye
But of course I have sympathy for him as a person with feelings and so on

It is the referees job to be fair to both sides. Ceremonial free kick process is not written in the LOTG but it is commonly accepted by both defenders and attackers. Once the referee starts a CFK then going against the expectation to favour one side (attackers or defenders) is simply unfair.

side note: the Australian printed version of lotg has guidelines for CFK. Note step 7.

View attachment 4836
Interesting guidance - thanks for sharing. Does not mention the goalkeeper's position. Does mention blowing the whistle after moving out of the way. My view is that the goal should have stood.

Ceremonial free kicks massively favour the defending team.

Just stand back and have a look what's happening first. Far too many referee's who won't allow non-ceremonial free kicks in the final third, or ones who say "once I'm there it's on the whistle". The later category are usually desperate to get there and start the process.

The players should be expected to start retreating as soon as the foul is given.

It's difficult to gauge what level of criticism is appropriate.
It shouldn't be. For me it's simple. If one is paid is paid to do a job one should be open to criticism as long as it is not personal.
Does not mention the goalkeeper's position
No but it does say 'all' in readiness and 'players' are settled. A goalkeeper is a player and part of all. He was neither ready nor settled.

The referee should be nowhere near the ball when he whistles, so as not to look like he's part of the team taking the FK (any more than being in the wall).

From one bit I saw on TV, he had at one stage drifted a bit central from the diagonal - too many refs are stuck on the diagonal and when a team is attacking on the left they are like an extra defender.

It's difficult to gauge what level of criticism is appropriate. Yes, he's human and all referees are fallible; on the other hand, if some one is not good enough to grace the field of play at professional level (or any level for that matter), they're gonna get called out and that experience is never likely to be nice
That's life
To me, blame lies with everyone involved. In particular, the PGMOL and the selection process for SG1/SG2, both of which carry referees for many many years who are nowhere near up to standard. Since taking to the whistle, it's become apparent to me that there's something not right with Referee Development and Promotion. If we want to progress, we have to adhere to someone else's creed and there's virtually no scope for finding talent through 'natural selection'. Either strictly obey the cardboard cut-out code, otherwise forget about progressing
WRT Mason, he just doesn't look right on the FOP. His scuttling running style, age, body-language and overall ability falls a long way short of my expectation and that type of comment and criticism is just a fact of life for anyone under-preforming in the public-eye
But of course I have sympathy for him as a person with feelings and so on
Hard to disagree with any of this tbh...

Ceremonial free kicks massively favour the defending team.

Just stand back and have a look what's happening first. Far too many referee's who won't allow non-ceremonial free kicks in the final third, or ones who say "once I'm there it's on the whistle". The later category are usually desperate to get there and start the process.

The players should be expected to start retreating as soon as the foul is given.
Agreed - I have been known to tell (both teams I might add) before KO that if you want to take a quick free kick just go ahead and do so, don't wait for me - I can always stop play and bring it back if I'm not happy with anything. I don't remember FKs needing a whistle to go ahead, but I might be out of touch these days (wouldn't be the first time! 😂). My usual chat at a DFK within about 20-30yds of goal is "Do you want the full 10 yards or a quick FK?" If they say quick, I get out of the way sharpish and let them get on with it (no whistle needed). Have seen one or two embarrassed GKs as a result, but at least the team who were fouled against don't get penalised twice! P.S. I've never asked "do you want the full 9.15m" and never will! 😂

The complete ignorance of the laws of the game from professional commentators and ex-pros is staggering. Following Welbeck's penalty hitting the post and rebounding straight to him, Lee Mason awards an indirect free kick to West Brom and neither of the commentary team knew why and even suggested it could have been for offside! 🤔
Welbeck didn't know either - even more shocking!

BBC comm DID know, but that was on MOTD so time for him to 'correct' his commentary there - and yes that DOES happen!

It's just basic game management. Why on earth would you blow to restart with the keeper not in position and still lining up his wall, you are risking causing yourself unnecessary grief. I'm happy with them going quickly if it is immediately after I've given the foul, but once I've decided it is ceremonial the timeline is mine.
as they showed on MOTD last night Martin Atkinson did it last season and allowed the goal to stand.

One thing almost neglected in all of this is the Brighton missed the target with 2 penalties! They've had 60 shots on goal, 20 in target and only scored once in their last 3 games.

Think they need to look at themselves before absolutely caning the ref
Yes as an aside Brighton have the 2nd most touches in oppo pen area (Only Man City have more) in the PL, but are just above bottom 3!

Yes as an aside Brighton have the 2nd most touches in oppo pen area (Only Man City have more) in the PL, but are just above bottom 3!

I've been really impressed with them every time I've seen them, especially how they set up at city in January.

Agreed - I have been known to tell (both teams I might add) before KO that if you want to take a quick free kick just go ahead and do so, don't wait for me - I can always stop play and bring it back if I'm not happy with anything. I don't remember FKs needing a whistle to go ahead, but I might be out of touch these days (wouldn't be the first time! 😂). My usual chat at a DFK within about 20-30yds of goal is "Do you want the full 10 yards or a quick FK?" If they say quick, I get out of the way sharpish and let them get on with it (no whistle needed). Have seen one or two embarrassed GKs as a result, but at least the team who were fouled against don't get penalised twice! P.S. I've never asked "do you want the full 9.15m" and never will! 😂
Guidelines from IFAB in the 2020-2021 laws say the whistle must be used after the 9.15 metres/10 yards is achieved. Premier League guidance over a number of years is that once the referee reaches the free kick location it will be a "ceremonial" kick on the whistle. This was introduced after a couple of goals from quick free kicks caused a lot of debate🤔

as they showed on MOTD last night Martin Atkinson did it last season and allowed the goal to stand.
I didn't see MOTD, was that the one vs Liverpool? If so, I remember the particular controversy with that was that they'd had to substitute the keeper - so not only was the keeper not ready, he'd only just arrived on the pitch and started to communicate with his defence!

I didn't see MOTD, was that the one vs Liverpool? If so, I remember the particular controversy with that was that they'd had to substitute the keeper - so not only was the keeper not ready, he'd only just arrived on the pitch and started to communicate with his defence!

Think the suggestion was Atkinson thought he had given the keeper more than enough time to set the wall so let them take it

He dropped a clanger, that’s for sure and should have moved away before blowing his whistle.

He then seems to have had a brain fart and blown for a second time after realising what he’s done, this resulted in the goal being correctly disallowed.

He’d have probably got less stick if he hadn’t blown a second time and let the goal stand.

I’ve not seen any of the criticisms he’s been getting from pundits or fans, but Keith Hackett has sticking the boot in on LinkedIn of all places.

He’s human, he made a mistake, one that we can all learn from, and providing he doesn’t keep making similar mistakes I don’t see the need for the character assassination he is getting.

In an ideal world, quick free-kicks should be allowed, never ever allow a quick free-kick in a position like that. Game control suicide.
Feel sorry for Mason, we have all been there.

Back