A&H

WBA vs BRI

In an ideal world, quick free-kicks should be allowed, never ever allow a quick free-kick in a position like that. Game control suicide.
Feel sorry for Mason, we have all been there.

Let them take it quickly initially if you like, but certainly not once you have made it ceremonial and lined up the wall.

The Referee Store
Let them take it quickly initially if you like, but certainly not once you have made it ceremonial and lined up the wall.
One thing I always advise people I mentor, don’t be afraid of allowing a quick free kick, but if the attacking team are hanging around and waiting for you to get there then go ceremonial, and make sure everyone knows.

It's difficult to gauge what level of criticism is appropriate. Yes, he's human and all referees are fallible; on the other hand, if some one is not good enough to grace the field of play at professional level (or any level for that matter), they're gonna get called out and that experience is never likely to be nice
That's life
To me, blame lies with everyone involved. In particular, the PGMOL and the selection process for SG1/SG2, both of which carry referees for many many years who are nowhere near up to standard. Since taking to the whistle, it's become apparent to me that there's something not right with Referee Development and Promotion. If we want to progress, we have to adhere to someone else's creed and there's virtually no scope for finding talent through 'natural selection'. Either strictly obey the cardboard cut-out code, otherwise forget about progressing
WRT Mason, he just doesn't look right on the FOP. His scuttling running style, age, body-language and overall ability falls a long way short of my expectation and that type of comment and criticism is just a fact of life for anyone under-preforming in the public-eye
But of course I have sympathy for him as a person with feelings and so on
A treat for our younger contributors:

But then you have to see him in action:
Some fascinating stuff in this too: Rodney Marsh skill (and winning penalties), and Kirkpatrick racing to the goal-line to give a corner!

Sadly, there seems to be no clip of Maurice Fussey in action.

have our wonderfull tv commentators got it wrong 4th official replacing the injured lee mason hmmm
is peter brookes i have seen john brookes,
but i have never heard of peter brookes

have our wonderfull tv commentators got it wrong 4th official replacing the injured lee mason hmmm
is peter brookes i have seen john brookes,
but i have never heard of peter brookes
Haha I had a double take and was doubting myself!

A treat for our younger contributors:

But then you have to see him in action:
Some fascinating stuff in this too: Rodney Marsh skill (and winning penalties), and Kirkpatrick racing to the goal-line to give a corner!

Sadly, there seems to be no clip of Maurice Fussey in action.
the second clip is more the build of the mr kirkpatrick i remember his autobiography is a good read

Thankfully for Lee Mason there was no crowd there otherwise chants of "your not fit to referee" and "you don't know what your doing" could of made him even more flustered!

As for the chat about the selection process in terms of promotion or demotion of referees, who was the last referee to be demoted from SG1 to SG2? Was it Keith Stroud 10 years ago? Otherwise most referees just retire and maybe Lee Mason may consider this at the end of the season?

Thankfully for Lee Mason there was no crowd there otherwise chants of "your not fit to referee" and "you don't know what your doing" could of made him even more flustered!

As for the chat about the selection process in terms of promotion or demotion of referees, who was the last referee to be demoted from SG1 to SG2? Was it Keith Stroud 10 years ago? Otherwise most referees just retire and maybe Lee Mason may consider this at the end of the season?

The lack of relegation of refs is, I presume, a result of them going pro and is something they need to figure out.

Haven't a few been demoted but was reversed on appeal? Attwell got a massive payoff when he was sacked.

They are employees, and therefore demoting them is a massive can of worms as under employment law there are a lot of hoops to be jumped through. There has to be multiple written warnings, performance improvement plans to be followed, and realistically demoting or dismissing someone in the corporate environment takes years unless it falls under gross misconduct.

They are employees, and therefore demoting them is a massive can of worms as under employment law there are a lot of hoops to be jumped through. There has to be multiple written warnings, performance improvement plans to be followed, and realistically demoting or dismissing someone in the corporate environment takes years unless it falls under gross misconduct.

You're absolutely right of course but this is the problem. They know, at the very least subconsciously, that it's a job for pretty much as long as they have it. Zero threat of losing it.

But of course...you can't have pro refs, which the club's demanded, without this sort of contract...

Every other level of refereeing and footbsll has promotion and relegation. Top level refs should not be exempt

You're absolutely right of course but this is the problem. They know, at the very least subconsciously, that it's a job for pretty much as long as they have it. Zero threat of losing it.

But of course...you can't have pro refs, which the club's demanded, without this sort of contract...

Every other level of refereeing and footbsll has promotion and relegation. Top level refs should not be exempt
I guess they could put new members of SG1 onto fixed term contracts, so if a referee is consistently below the standard required over 3 years, for example, then they just would t offer them a new contract.

However, I guess they would need to pay a lot more than they do at the moment to make up for the uncertainty.

Reactions: es1
I don't know Lee and this is in no way intend as a criticism of him or his performance, but to me he doesn't look a man who is enjoying refereeing at the moment. Watched most of the game live and MOTD's highlights. Prior to the free kick was Brighton's 1st penalty, Lee Mason's body language and facial expressions before and after going to review the handball on screen didn't give the impression of someone who particularly wanted to be there. Perhaps the near constant media witch hunt of him and Mike Dean in recent weeks has affected him. It can be hard enough at times refereeing at grassroots especially with abusive players/parents/coaches, swap for highly paid professionals, the world's media and a tv audience watching your every move, the pressure and weight of expectation must be immense!

I don't know Lee and this is in no way intend as a criticism of him or his performance, but to me he doesn't look a man who is enjoying refereeing at the moment. Watched most of the game live and MOTD's highlights. Prior to the free kick was Brighton's 1st penalty, Lee Mason's body language and facial expressions before and after going to review the handball on screen didn't give the impression of someone who particularly wanted to be there. Perhaps the near constant media witch hunt of him and Mike Dean in recent weeks has affected him. It can be hard enough at times refereeing at grassroots especially with abusive players/parents/coaches, swap for highly paid professionals, the world's media and a tv audience watching your every move, the pressure and weight of expectation must be immense!
I should imagine most SG1 R's have had some dark moments in games. Self-doubt, agrophobic feelings, slow passage of time towards a much wanted final whistle... those sorts of emotions. Goes for R's at any level of the game I guess

Last edited:
I guess they could put new members of SG1 onto fixed term contracts, so if a referee is consistently below the standard required over 3 years, for example, then they just would t offer them a new contract.

However, I guess they would need to pay a lot more than they do at the moment to make up for the uncertainty.
I think this should have been, and should be now, the way forward.
The referees have earned their way to the top, the top pay packet etc, but to remain there they have to show why they should be there.
Some I do feel are just coasting along, knowing nothing will happen. Even if they were put on performance plans, after, say 6 games of doing well again, they could pass their plan and go back to being coasters again.
But with the threat of no new contract, they'd start to pull their finger out and want to make themselves the best out there. So be it if 4 or 5 refs contracts are not renewed. This gives upcoming referees the chance to get in on a contract in the top league(s). Whilst refs like Mason, Dean etc are there, until they retire or whatever, then no new ref can get in otherwise they'd start to have too many.

I didn't see MOTD, was that the one vs Liverpool? If so, I remember the particular controversy with that was that they'd had to substitute the keeper - so not only was the keeper not ready, he'd only just arrived on the pitch and started to communicate with his defence!
Yes that's the one Graeme. I had forgotten about the sub issue and they didn't mention that!

Whilst refs like Mason, Dean etc are there, until they retire or whatever, then no new ref can get in otherwise they'd start to have too many.

Which is just wrong, Lee Mason has been refereeing in the PL since 2006 but he never gets an 'A' game and not likely too so he's only there because he's experienced but his space could easily be filled in by a younger upcoming referee. Graham Scott is another, got promoted in the last 5 years despite being near the end of his career in terms of age but he will never get an 'A' game either so another spot where a younger referee could be there instead. I don't mind older refs aslong as they are good enough and able to do the A games which Atkinson and Dean are capable of so I got no issues about them being there.

I actually do think there need to be more SG1 refs, there are just far too few of them and especially in a season like this, they are barely getting any rest because they are either reffing or on VAR, it's been a problem for years but it just feels like the PGMOL are reluctant to add to many refs because they probably feel it's better for Michael Oliver to referee over 30 games than have a larger group and spread the games more evenly. I know Oliver is a younger referee but he does UEFA games also, the poor guy barely gets a break.

Which is just wrong, Lee Mason has been refereeing in the PL since 2006 but he never gets an 'A' game and not likely too so he's only there because he's experienced but his space could easily be filled in by a younger upcoming referee. Graham Scott is another, got promoted in the last 5 years despite being near the end of his career in terms of age but he will never get an 'A' game either so another spot where a younger referee could be there instead. I don't mind older refs aslong as they are good enough and able to do the A games which Atkinson and Dean are capable of so I got no issues about them being there.

I actually do think there need to be more SG1 refs, there are just far too few of them and especially in a season like this, they are barely getting any rest because they are either reffing or on VAR, it's been a problem for years but it just feels like the PGMOL are reluctant to add to many refs because they probably feel it's better for Michael Oliver to referee over 30 games than have a larger group and spread the games more evenly. I know Oliver is a younger referee but he does UEFA games also, the poor guy barely gets a break.

you're absolutely right, our refs (esp the better ones and those officiating in europe) are absolutely flogged week in week out. i genuinely dont know how they do it. ref/4th man/var duty every game week (probably 2 out of those 3 roles) then a game midweek in a cup, then the weekend again. the more (if they're good enough) the merrier

Back