A&H

Wear this ref

The Referee Store
I just don’t get the priorities here. Why does the color shirt the referee wears matter. We are allowed wear any colour in the leagues I referee in. If your league wants to protect its referees from stupid isssues before a ball is kicked, then they can keep going but the stance needs to change and get with the times.

I just don’t get the priorities here. Why does the color shirt the referee wears matter. We are allowed wear any colour in the leagues I referee in. If your league wants to protect its referees from stupid isssues before a ball is kicked, then they can keep going but the stance needs to change and get with the times.
It's not the colour of the shirt, it's that by stating only referees can wear black, it creates certainty for clubs.

i would
never wear a bib because it would cover the referee badge and thats the most important part of the refereeing gear

It's not the colour of the shirt, it's that by stating only referees can wear black, it creates certainty for clubs.

I understand that and have no problems with it, but a punishment of 'suspension from all football' is just ridiculous. Let's say one team has dark red shirts and the other a dark blue, a ref putting on a yellow shirt is just sensible. Certainly not a crime befitting of a suspension that's for sure! How archaic

I understand that and have no problems with it, but a punishment of 'suspension from all football' is just ridiculous. Let's say one team has dark red shirts and the other a dark blue, a ref putting on a yellow shirt is just sensible. Certainly not a crime befitting of a suspension that's for sure! How archaic
You're absolutely right, why bother complying with competition rules?

Let's kick off when we want, play as long as we want, not bother reporting cautions or dismissals.
/sarcasm

For me its simple.

This is from my county FA's Handbook, that is provided to all clubs and officials:

"In the case of two Clubs having the same or similar registered playing colours, the visiting Club shall play in some different and distinctive colours
approved by the referee.

The players’ shirts shall be clearly and individually numbered, there must be no change of numbers (with the exception of a goalkeeper) during the match except in cases where a replacement shirt is required due to a blood injury.

Goalkeepers must wear colours that distinguish them from other players and the referee. No player including the goalkeeper shall be permitted to wear black or very dark shirts".

At the risk of sounding a little "Padfootesque" as long as I can distinguish between the two teams, then anything else is down the the team in question. Of course, if and when my county FA allows a secondary colour or two, i'd be more than happy to ensure that my kit does not clash with either team.

If a team has shirts that then do not adhere to those rules and they clash with my kit, then I'm sorry, but i'm not having them make it my problem. If that means that they mistake me for one of their players, then so be it and i'm also going to be sending a note into the relevant league, along with my RDO after the game to advise of the situation.

IMHO, any referee that does otherwise and changes, or wears a bib, in a county where the County FA does not permit referees to wear a secondary colour, or states as mine does that clubs are not allowed Black or Very Dark Shirts is making my job much harder when I turn up and refuse the following week.

You're absolutely right, why bother complying with competition rules?

Let's kick off when we want, play as long as we want, not bother reporting cautions or dismissals.
/sarcasm

There are and have been many rules across history and society, many of them have been and continue to be wrong, including this one :)

As for punishments fitting the crime.....wrong coloured shirt, suspended form all football activities. Lol! Behave.

Personally, I think the 'spirit of the game' applies to this situation wonderfully, particularly the last sentence:
Referees should apply the Laws of the Game correctly but with sensitivity and common sense to create a positive atmosphere on the field of play. It is very important that referees officiate in a way which benefits the game and is in ‘sympathy’ with the emotions and requirements of each match, no matter what the level. At the lowest levels of football, the referees must use ‘common sense’ when deciding if a match goes ahead if there is a (minor) problem with the field of play or the equipment. The IFAB believes that the referee should try to play a match unless there is a risk or danger to the participants.

The biggest problem for the refereeing fraternity at the moment is arguably the lack of members. I'm not sure suspending people from all football activities for wearing a different coloured shirt (let's say "in sympathy with the emotions and requirements of each match") is the way forward!

Just me 2 pence worth

There are and have been many rules across history and society, many of them have been and continue to be wrong, including this one :)

As for punishments fitting the crime.....wrong coloured shirt, suspended form all football activities. Lol! Behave.

Personally, I think the 'spirit of the game' applies to this situation wonderfully, particularly the last sentence:
Referees should apply the Laws of the Game correctly but with sensitivity and common sense to create a positive atmosphere on the field of play. It is very important that referees officiate in a way which benefits the game and is in ‘sympathy’ with the emotions and requirements of each match, no matter what the level. At the lowest levels of football, the referees must use ‘common sense’ when deciding if a match goes ahead if there is a (minor) problem with the field of play or the equipment. The IFAB believes that the referee should try to play a match unless there is a risk or danger to the participants.

The biggest problem for the refereeing fraternity at the moment is arguably the lack of members. I'm not sure suspending people from all football activities for wearing a different coloured shirt (let's say "in sympathy with the emotions and requirements of each match") is the way forward!

Just me 2 pence worth

When you register as a referee you agree to abide by the content of the regulation for the control and registration of referees document. This sets out what is expected of referees, and the potential consequences for not meeting them. Section 7(g) of this details what happens if a referee is found guilty of a breach of these regulations, and it states …

Where the Referees’ Committee or Commission find the allegation(s) proved, it shall have the power to act in relation to the Registration of the Referee as it considers appropriate. This may include, but is not limited to, censure, a period of remedial training, suspension or removal of Registration

Just me 2 pence worth

If the appropriate rules state (as in my county) teams should not wear very dark or black shirts, and teams ignore that and do so, then i'm applying the "spirit of the game" by letting the game take place without the team in question changing their shirts. Technically, because the rules state they can't wear them, i should not allow the game to start. Thats very different to "no problem, let me put this bib/different colour shirt on so as not to inconvenience you"

For me its the same as if both teams turn up with the same colour shorts or socks, or the GK's top clashes with a kit. Officially you should not play, but you invariably you just get on with it. It makes your life harder, but you get the job done.

Reactions: JH
When you register as a referee you agree to abide by the content of the regulation for the control and registration of referees document. This sets out what is expected of referees, and the potential consequences for not meeting them. Section 7(g) of this details what happens if a referee is found guilty of a breach of these regulations, and it states …

Where the Referees’ Committee or Commission find the allegation(s) proved, it shall have the power to act in relation to the Registration of the Referee as it considers appropriate. This may include, but is not limited to, censure, a period of remedial training, suspension or removal of Registration

The IFAB advice regarding using common sense to provide a positive atmosphere and the ref must use common sense if there's a minor problem with equipment seems far more appropriate, reasonable and in the spirit of the game than applying that heavy handed, unhelpful and objectional narrative to a weekend hobby. It's amateur football and the spirit of the game and the game itself are the most important thing. Of all the things that could happen during a football match, I can't think of anything less important and least worthy of punishment than the colour of the referees shirt.

For clarification, I understand the requirement for such regulation, just not the reasoning for using it to enforce such minor things in amateur football.

The IFAB advice regarding using common sense to provide a positive atmosphere and the ref must use common sense if there's a minor problem with equipment seems far more appropriate, reasonable and in the spirit of the game than applying that heavy handed, unhelpful and objectional narrative to a weekend hobby. It's amateur football and the spirit of the game and the game itself are the most important thing. Of all the things that could happen during a football match, I can't think of anything less important and least worthy of punishment than the colour of the referees shirt.

Traditionally it has caused problems, as one referee turns up and wears a coloured shirt, then the next week a different referee turns up without a coloured shirt and rightly tells them to do one when they ask him to wear a bib, so the game is called off. That then gets reported to county, the league will likely be annoyed with the referee that played the game (even though they sanctioned the "illegal" kit) and want action taken against him. You wouldn't believe how many leagues report referees to CFA for relatively minor things, I've never really understood it as much easier to just not use that referee any more.

Realistically for a first offence it is far more likely to be a censure rather than a suspension, but I know of referees who have ignored this and carried on doing it, so they can't really complain when they then get suspended.

I think you are letting the clubs off too lightly here, they know they can't wear black or dark colours, so if they broke that regulation they need to look closer to home rather than blaming the referee.

Before coloured shirts were OK'd in my county a well respected ref turned observer said in front of the RDO at the time. You must wear black shirts, but in my bag I have 4 different colours and will use them if their is a kit clash. He then used common sense and spirit of the game as his justification. This was too a group of new refs who had just passed their exam, well most of us did at least one person should have failed but because that person got more than 20 when the pass mark was 27 they got through. That RDO is no longer at my county just in case you were trying to work out who I am talking about.

Traditionally it has caused problems, as one referee turns up and wears a coloured shirt, then the next week a different referee turns up without a coloured shirt and rightly tells them to do one when they ask him to wear a bib, so the game is called off. That then gets reported to county, the league will likely be annoyed with the referee that played the game (even though they sanctioned the "illegal" kit) and want action taken against him. You wouldn't believe how many leagues report referees to CFA for relatively minor things, I've never really understood it as much easier to just not use that referee any more.

Realistically for a first offence it is far more likely to be a censure rather than a suspension, but I know of referees who have ignored this and carried on doing it, so they can't really complain when they then get suspended.

I think you are letting the clubs off too lightly here, they know they can't wear black or dark colours, so if they broke that regulation they need to look closer to home rather than blaming the referee.

Perhaps I'm over simplifying here (although that's a positive sometimes!) but you turn up with your black shirt, the teams are in dark and you have a coloured shirt in your bag. Apply common sense and stick the coloured shirt on and off you go. I don't think that should be punishable in the amateur game.

I only have a black kit, I don't want the expense of multi coloured shirts unless I reach a level where they're required and as a 35 year old bloke id feel a bit of a whopper wearing one for a Sunday League match. But if a coloured shirt benefits the game then just stick it on if you have it, let's not punish people for it on Sunday League.

For clarity, I'm not anti FA or having a go at "dinosaurs in suits", I just think common sense can be applied occasionally down the local park in what would be a very rare occasion. Semi pro and above, it's a job and it's regulated as such so no issues

Last edited:
Are you now classed as a newbie again Brian? ❤️
Yes Daz. I have my first game on Sunday. Could someone give me tips on how to deal with two teams of U15 players, coaches and parents.

Should I wear my black shirt or my black shirt or my black shirt?

As for other comments. Thanks to @RustyRef for highlighting that if you decide to be a referee, there are rules you agree to abide by when registering to undertake that role. They may not be the most sensible, they may not be the most modern, but if you're going to complain about them, you can look as stupid as a player not understanding about foot positions at a throw-in.

Yes Daz. I have my first game on Sunday. Could someone give me tips on how to deal with two teams of U15 players, coaches and parents.

Should I wear my black shirt or my black shirt or my black shirt?

As for other comments. Thanks to @RustyRef for highlighting that if you decide to be a referee, there are rules you agree to abide by when registering to undertake that role. They may not be the most sensible, they may not be the most modern, but if you're going to complain about them, you can look as stupid as a player not understanding about foot positions at a throw-in.

Interesting for an 'observor' to refer to someone as stupid for offering an opinion. Perhaps nobody should offer any opinions on any rules, maybe we'd have the same rules as we started with when football began. Who were those stupid people who offered alternative viewpoints about competition rules? Change the back pass rule? Introduce substitutes? Yellow footballs? Don't be stupid and stop complaining!

Back