A&H

Wear this ref

... don’t get me started on sock tape and undershorts!

A ridiculous law brought in by someone who has never even glimpsed the undergrowth of grass roots football, someone who will have had a kit man and spare kits.

At the basic level, at the bottom reaches of the game, I really don’t see why put in barriers to participation. Get - and keep - people playing the game. As they move up the pyramid, by all means worry about these things, but not at grass roots.

The Referee Store
... don’t get me started on sock tape and undershorts!

A ridiculous law brought in by someone who has never even glimpsed the undergrowth of grass roots football, someone who will have had a kit man and spare kits.

At the basic level, at the bottom reaches of the game, I really don’t see why put in barriers to participation. Get - and keep - people playing the game. As they move up the pyramid, by all means worry about these things, but not at grass roots.
I'm with you @RefJef
Changing top is the last resort, just above the absolute last resort of abandonment
I'm also with you on skins and sock tape. Participation blockers at grass roots are a big no no and if the CFA were to discipline me in this respect, I'd turn my back on football and do something else
I prefer to educate rather take a wooden stance over trivial matters. Different at higher levels; granted

Last edited:
Ref in a t shirt if needed
Stop being so dramatic, the games not about u/us.....

I might be alone in this but I have officiated a senior game in a t shirt and was in crowd when 3 top flight (including Scotlands best ever referee) officiated in POLO SHIRTS to avoid a clash

think about it..be turned out all nice and smart and be awful.....OR, turn out in something which does the job and have a good game?
adapt
look at whats in front of you and go, how can I best handle this....

if Mr Ellery can do a top flight game in a sweat shirt..then rest assured you can do council park 9 in a t shirt

Last edited:

I might be alone in this but I have officiated a senior game in a t shirt and was in crowd when 3 top flight (including Scotlands best ever referee) officiated in POLO SHIRTS to avoid a clash
HE (SHE) IS BACK!
You've been sorely missed! @one has been losing sleep!

Aye.........some folk dont appreciate good old fashioned black and white advice, they over complicate a problem which is not there in the first place... (or in this posts case, yellow/red/sky blue)

Aye.........some folk dont appreciate good old fashioned black and white advice, they over complicate a problem which is not there in the first place... (or in this posts case, yellow/red/sky blue)
It has been eerily quiet round here for a few weeks haha
The odd verbal tussle, but no proper straight talkin :rage:

yeah, we were able to carry a couple. Sometimes I still couldn't avoid a kit clash, so then the team changes (and this is why you need to either know or have access to your competition rules, to know which team changes). I'm not wearing a bib. A goalkeeper's shirt is completely out of the question (and bear in mind that if you do that, then you're not wearing your RA logo anymore - could that have issues with insurance if something happens?)

if the head of IFAB can wear a teams training top, then, what makes you so amazing that you cant?

Attachments

• gettyimages-1270169-612x612.jpg
    gettyimages-1270169-612x612.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 21
I should be in Alloa some time next week and then Inverness.... my Northern/ Scottish rep has retired so I’ve got the whole country added to my patch!
This is certainly a thread that ruffles feathers with most officials.

true story...i sat my course at Glenochill Prison.....(which is 2 mins from Alloa)

And, also true...reffed the Young Offenders plenty times......not a problem.

Funny enough they dont get away games but still....

think about it..be turned out all nice and smart and be awful.....OR, turn out in something which does the job and have a good game?
adapt
look at whats in front of you and go, how can I best handle this....

if Mr Ellery can do a top flight game in a sweat shirt..then rest assured you can do council park 9 in a t shirt

What about "as a referee you agree to abide by the content of the regulation for the control and registration of referees document". I'm reliably informed that section 7(g) stipulates the relevant punishments.

Look it's just parks football at the bottom level and the numbers of those playing and officiating are reducing. Let's make it easier, not more difficult for all concerned. The game is the most important thing

What about "as a referee you agree to abide by the content of the regulation for the control and registration of referees document". I'm reliably informed that section 7(g) stipulates the relevant punishments.

Look it's just parks football at the bottom level and the numbers of those playing and officiating are reducing. Let's make it easier, not more difficult for all concerned. The game is the most important thing

that's my fable. nobody turns up to see you in shiny Nike/Addias/Macron

go out there, referee and go home happy

The occasions mentioned above with Elleray et al (I was also at a game where he had to change his (coloured) shirt) are isolated incidents out of thousands and thousands and thousands of games over many years. Elleray has been retired for nearly 10 years ffs!

Quite simply put, the rules are there for clarity as are the sanctions for breaching. If the rules are as silly as some have said, then get them changed like Essex FA have done this week

I did a charity game a few months ago, I turned up with ONE refereeing implement, a whistle, fantastic game, it wasn’t about me, it was about a deceased mother and baby and their fantastic fundraising.... 👏👏👏

Jack on the phone to Harry:"mate can you bring the away set of our jerseys to the game tomorrow. Refs in this league can only wear black"
Harry:" I've got to wash them mate. Can't be bothered"
Jack:"wash them and bring them or the ref won't do the game"
Harry:"I'll bring a bib for the ref"
Jack: "refs don't wear bibs"
Harry:"last week's ref did. Don't worry"

Jack on the phone to Harry:"mate can you bring the away set of our jerseys to the game tomorrow. Refs in this league can only wear black"
Harry:" I've got to wash them mate. Can't be bothered"
Jack:"wash them and bring them or the ref won't do the game"
Harry:"I'll bring a bib for the ref"
Jack: "refs don't wear bibs"
Harry:"last week's ref did. Don't worry"
Jack: "Ah... that must've been Big Cat. He's a quality ref, he is"

No problem that young refs should appear smart....

Yeh, smart as in clever, know the laws and their implementation, know how to talk to players, know when to get involved, know when to back off.
Know it’s not just about them!

Be a smart ref!

No problem that young refs should appear smart....

Yeh, smart as in clever, know the laws and their implementation, know how to talk to players, know when to get involved, know when to back off.
Know it’s not just about them!

Be a smart ref!
Know that it’s not their choice what colour they wear. Know that the FA have said they’ll be suspended if they don’t wear black. Know that they have already suspended colleagues for admin issues a few weeks before. Know they will be watching games to check the correct kit is worn. Know which fights are worth fighting. Know when to back off. Know it’s not just about them!

IT WAS NOT OUR CHOICE. But we were the ones who had to pick up the pieces. The FA told them that they had to change but gave them a season to do it. If your “smart refs” had done that then where is the incentive for the team to change their colours at the end of the season? The FA were not ready for coloured kit - again, it was not our choice

Back