A&H

Wearing a bib

The Referee Store
i thought one of the best parts of this forum was experienced refs helping newbies with what they could and should have done better. how was being last weeks ref helping a 15 year old on hopefully a long career

Hmmm, messy thread.

Wrong=wearing the bib
Right=reporting to the league
Better=phone Chris Kavanagh on Tuesday and chat to him or someone in his office about it.

Hmmm, messy thread.

Wrong=wearing the bib
Right=reporting to the league
Better=phone Chris Kavanagh on Tuesday and chat to him or someone in his office about it.
Hi Brian, it's currently being dealt with by the league and the league is affiliated to Lancashire FA so I wouldn't know who to contact.

Hi Brian, it's currently being dealt with by the league and the league is affiliated to Lancashire FA so I wouldn't know who to contact.

Joe, interestingly we had this exact debate at our last RA meeting last week. A team in our Sunday league wears an all black with pink stripe away kit.

I would also add that opinion within the room was split to wearing a bib and not - and in favour of wearing the bib was mostly the more experienced referees, so don't worry about that.

The right answer is to dig your heels in, but having learnt that I'm sure you will move on with it.

As @SM said stand your ground, and that goes for any equipment you're not happy with. 99 times out of a hundred they will magically sort it when forced to, even if they previously claimed there was no way on earth they could.

Always a learning curve this referee thing ;).... dealt with the situation :)....Will know next time what course of action to take.
Personally for me i would never wear a bib, if no alternative available then there would be no match, i always arrive 1 hour before kick off even if the ground is but a mile away, this gives me time for the pitch inspection, time to settle any issues regarding kit colours,nets,flags etc. etc. I do look on the league website for team colours but then find out they don't always turn up in said home/away colours.:confused::eek::hmmm:

Even better if it's a Lancashire FA League. You need to contact Stevie Stewart or James Mainwaring

steve.stewart@lancashirefa.com or james.mainwaring@lancashirefa.com

or Twitter @LancashireFA

Say hello from me when you get in touch
I'm with the Lancashire FA, and they are all brilliant i've just had an email from our Fixtures Secretary stating to clampdown on CAR's wearing HiVis and to report them if they don't (he has sent a reminder to all managers),also about sock tape/undershorts to be same colour as shorts

I had this from my CFA earlier in the season. I therefore am not even going to consider wearing a bib

Hi

It has been brought to my attention that certain referees have been wearing coloured referee kits in which to officiate.

Just as a gentle reminder, that under The FA regulations, black is the only colour of kit permitted to be worn by match officials at County FA level. Referees should not officiate in coloured bibs, but should wear black shirts only.

If an official report is made against you, CFA discipline department will have no option but to charge you with a breach of regulation and I am clearly keen to avoid this from happening.

My son's team play in blue and yellow. At the start of the season there was a discussion regarding purchasing an away kit, which would double up as a training kit. one of the coaches and several parents suggested an all black kit "because no one else in the league wears those colours so we won't clash". To which I responded there's a good reason why teams don't/shouldn't wear all black and that's because they are banned! Cue 4 or 5 people standing there starring at me as if I had 4 heads and one parent pipes up "why can Premier League teams wear black then?". :confused: They all still struggled to grasp the concept of different regulations for professional level despite my attempts to explain it to them in plain and simple English! :mad:

Hi Joe,

As others have said, you shouldn't have worn the bib, but I completely understand why you did. I remember what it was like when I started out at 14 and sometimes we do things that we're not supposed to, it's difficult to stand your ground when an adult puts you under pressure like that. For me, it reflects very poorly on the manager, who thought it was ok to put a young ref under pressure like that.

With it being so late in the season, I'd be amazed if every ref has allowed them to play in that kit. Next time, persevere and insist they change or wear bibs. It's happened a couple of times to me and another kit has magically appeared :rolleyes:.

Give Steve Stewart a call at Lancashire FA. He's a nice guy who'll be more than happy to discuss it with you!

:)

Hi Joe,

As others have said, you shouldn't have worn the bib, but I completely understand why you did. I remember what it was like when I started out at 14 and sometimes we do things that we're not supposed to, it's difficult to stand your ground when an adult puts you under pressure like that. For me, it reflects very poorly on the manager, who thought it was ok to put a young ref under pressure like that.

With it being so late in the season, I'd be amazed if every ref has allowed them to play in that kit. Next time, persevere and insist they change or wear bibs. It's happened a couple of times to me and another kit has magically appeared :rolleyes:.

Give Steve Stewart a call at Lancashire FA. He's a nice guy who'll be more than happy to discuss it with you!

:)
Thanks Matthew, I sent Steve Stewart I email this morning so will hopefully get a reply on Tuesday.

u15 game today. Turn up and the away team are in black... The manager went 'Ref can u put this bib on please'. So I replied no and said your not supposed to wear black you's will have to wear the bibs. We don't have enough for everyone he says, you'll have to wear this. So that was me in a stinky moldy bib for 80mins. :hmmm::mad: Report going in to the league later I think....
Joe,

The only question missing from this, is what was the time gap between them telling you that they were in black and kick-off? Anything over 15 minutes, tell them to get their reserve kit.

Alternatively, make them wear their shirts inside out. OK you won't see the numbers but they would like the idiots the manager has made them be.

It would interesting to know they had this kit had been listed in the handbook, as clubs should play in their listed colours? Any change must be approved by the league Committee.

I had this from my CFA earlier in the season. I therefore am not even going to consider wearing a bib

Hi

It has been brought to my attention that certain referees have been wearing coloured referee kits in which to officiate.

Just as a gentle reminder, that under The FA regulations, black is the only colour of kit permitted to be worn by match officials at County FA level. Referees should not officiate in coloured bibs, but should wear black shirts only.

If an official report is made against you, CFA discipline department will have no option but to charge you with a breach of regulation and I am clearly keen to avoid this from happening.
that pretty much sorts out if you should wear a bib or not, much easier up here we currently have 4 options to chose from

Joe,

The only question missing from this, is what was the time gap between them telling you that they were in black and kick-off? Anything over 15 minutes, tell them to get their reserve kit.

Alternatively, make them wear their shirts inside out. OK you won't see the numbers but they would like the idiots the manager has made them be.

It would interesting to know they had this kit had been listed in the handbook, as clubs should play in their listed colours? Any change must be approved by the league Committee.
Hi Lincs,
There must of been about 5-10 mins to kick off as I had a match on the same pitch before hand.

One thing I did forget to mention during the debate at our RA, the chairman of our RA is also chair of the district FA.

He suggested the district could send a polite letter to all clubs reminding them of the regulations regarding club colours in the closed season.

We suggested now would be a better time to do it before clubs started to organise next seasons strips etc, which was agreed - providing the perfect 'well we did tell you' opportunity should the issue arise next season.

Just a thought to anybody currently having issues is a league with this - could be a good time to tackle it head on.

Back