A&H

What an evening I had...

Ref1995

Wednesday night sunday league match fourth tier of the league between 10th/second bottom (green) and 1st (blue). I have had both teams a couple of times recently and knew that greens could be fiesty and cause problems especially as last time I had them there was a DOGSO-H which "ruined the game" and a mass confrontation. I also knew that blues like to argue every single decision.

Match starts and it was very even until the 4th minute when a there is a mix up in the Blues defence, one centre back mis controlled the other tried to header back to the keeper. The green striker got onto the end of it into the penalty box and is pulled down by the Blue defender obvious DOGSO. but the blues all argue "come on ref less than five minutes gone" "its sunday league no need for that" and then the usual "someone did that last week and it was only a yellow" (Thank you last weeks ref) I personally hate the law but its not for me to decide. Penalty is well saved by the keeper.

Blues continue to moan throughout the game about every thing. The two captains exchange words in the middle of the first half I tell them to set an example theres no need for it they were arguing about the position of a free kick it was about two yards wrong. I then hear from the blue sideline your a cheat ref to which I delay the restart and tell them I won't restart until whoever said it walks away. They are all shocked at the mention of an abandonment and tell the bloke to leave. (was an empty threat in all honesty). From the free kick the ball bounces around in the area hits a blue arm as he attempted to control, he moved his arm to wards the ball, penalty given and this time scored.

Half time comes the man i sent off and a member of the blues committee approach me and ask about a couple of decisions and question the red card. I explain but in hindsight I should have told them to go away and talk to me after the match.

Second half is fine and there were surprisingly few arguments even when I overruled a CAR which lead to a goal. I said to the skipper as I went back to position I did say I would overrule and he agreed the CAR was wrong.

I give a corner in the 74th minute and there is arguement from a blue centre back I have a public word as he's walking away says "your having a shocker" out comes the yellow card. after the corner there is a foul by blue on the edge of the box I give it the offender shouts "**** OFF" at the top of his voice another yellow. From the free kick a player breaks from the wall so is retaken.

78th minute green player is tackled fairly but then decides to kick out at the tackler connecting with his knee. The ball was 20 yards away there was intent and excessive force. Another red card. The blue defender just cautioned questioned me and I suggested he be quiet or walk.

All was calm until the 89th minute when the blue winger wins the ball from the green right back as he went to clear hits his arm which is in a natural position and unintended all the greens stop I carry on player goes into the box is taken down by a lazy leg of the keeper player was going wide and there was a covering defender, yellow card and the third penalty. Another miss. There were few arguments about the yellow card and the penalty to be fair as all knew was accidental.

Final whistle and surprising amount of handshakes. Asked to not put cards through as the blue lad will miss the final to which I say not my problem.

The Referee Store
Sounds as though you did ok.
One thought...why did the bloke who you binned approach you?? He should have been nowhere near the vicinity of the FOP

Well done ! It looks like the only thing you missed was the caution for the player that broke out of the wall !

Sounds as though you did ok.
One thought...why did the bloke who you binned approach you?? He should have been nowhere near the vicinity of the FOP
I know its probably wrong in law but its very difficult to get players who have been sent off at this level. He wasn't causing any problems so didn't have any problem if they are causing trouble obviously they go

Half time comes the man i sent off and a member of the blues committee approach me and ask about a couple of decisions and question the red card. I explain but in hindsight I should have told them to go away and talk to me after the match.
I know that you accept you were wrong for doing this, but imagine if after your explanation he had swore at you again (or worse), needing a misconduct report. Somebody could have asked why did you speak to him & why was in on the FOP - leaving you in an exposed situation.

Back