A&H

What are you giving?

The Referee Store
A penalty would be a brave call, but an outfield player can't wipe an opponent out (even when winning the ball)

Well a free kick to Neuer is definitely not what I would give. It's either a pen or a throw. In practise I would give a throw in because I'm not 100% sure.

Tough one. I'll give a pen and a yellow mostly because of the raised knee. Fits the definition of reckless.

Yes. I like to answer these things, one look. And I be honest, am going throw
When I watch it over and over again, I can see why a pk might be more appropraite (and a yc)

That said, Hugain seemed able to give a right mouthful of dissent before collapsing

AR had no idea either

Actually, am sticking with throw, both players firmly only looking at ball, yes Higuan has come off worse but i would class it as two committed players bursting the ball in midfield

Throw.

It really isn’t that difficult of a decision.

Tell that to WC final referee Rizzoli

I wouldn’t argue with whatever a referee gave in that situation tbh, one look in real time I’d be scratching my head slightly.

I actually remember the incident clearly I had a bet on Neuer to be booked in that game & coudnt believe he walked Scott free (obviously biased opinion at the time) but having the benefit of replay it’s a throw for me.

If anything the referee took the option that he thought would diffuse the situation but in hindsight a throw to Argentina would have done the job.

Can you just imagine an outfield player winning the ball in that way (with a header) but with a knee raised like that ?! Cowardly from Neuer and one which an AAR or VAR should be able to give as YC / Pen. Tough from the ref's angle though

All down to interpretation again, he clearly wins the ball but clearly wipes the striker out.

What came first chicken or the egg?

Ref had 3 options & most certainly with the benefit of replay he went with the only one that wasn’t viable in my opinion.

At my level it was 1000% throw in, i'm not sure at what level or interpretation you can give anything else... The GK hasn't deliberately fouled the oncoming player, its a contact sport, he took one for the team and needs to man up a bit.... Other genders are available!! :)

For all I hated it, I spent many games in goal when our normal keeper(s) weren't available. As a keeper you have an additional reach, you don't have to use your head and rather can use your hands. That means that you jump from further away and land further away, and jumping from that distance does mean that your knee will be raised.

Normally when a defender and attacker jump for the ball they are stood side by side, but when the keeper gets involved it always looks worse as he has come from a much further distance away.

Here is why I'm at PK and orange. I'm a huge Neuer fan but this is a really nasty hit. Granted Higuain glances to see if he is coming at the beginning to position himself to shield. Higuain is running with his back somewhat toward Neuer looking at the ball attempting to move with it. Neuer controls this contact and he comes in recklessly imho. He is coming in at great speed, jumps/launches himself at a significant distance with his knee raised (old school) into Higuain, and annihilated him. This is not the attacker undercutting an airborn player. Neuer controlled this collision and had his knee made contact with Higuain's head he could have done severe damage. I would say he definitely has has acted with complete disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent. Borderline whether he has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent.

If a striker puts any force on a keeper and it’s a free kick, yet a keeper goes in like that and you all give a throw in

Back