A&H

What level of referees are used at friendlies for various levels of football?

Kref

Was watching Ben foster video:
And was wonder since there were 3 officials what levels they would be.
Since I have been an AR for a Step 4 game which was a friendly last summer?

The Referee Store
Typically, you can work at "1 level above" your normal level for friendlies. What exactly that means will vary slightly by area, and also may not fully apply once you get to the highest levels.

Typically, you can work at "1 level above" your normal level for friendlies. What exactly that means will vary slightly by area, and also may not fully apply once you get to the highest levels.
What are the levels need for various steps? And for further in?

Have a look at the last page of this.

Attachments

• appointment-of-match-officials-to-non-competition-matches-july-2020.pdf
    140.4 KB · Views: 60
The rule was brought in after QPR played a China national team in a “friendly” and it all kicked off big style. One Chinese player was left with a broken jaw and unconscious, and the QPR assistant manager ended up getting sacked. The referee was Dermot Gallagher, but the ARs weren’t anywhere near that level of football and I don’t think there was a 4th official. So the FA brought in the policy that ARF shared so that the officials have to be at most officiating one step below the level of the highest ranked team.

That said, I’m not sure how strictly clubs follow it.

Reactions: Kes
. So the FA brought in the policy that ARF shared so that the officials have to be at most officiating one step below the level of the highest ranked team.

That said, I’m not sure how strictly clubs follow it.
Thats as I understand it too.
As a Level 5, I've refereed numerous pre-season friendlies for clubs that would normally have a L4 in the middle, but like you say, that's only "1 up".

Last season, I was down to do a similar fixture (Supply League away team) but it was pointed out that because the home team were Step 4, I couldn't (and rightly so). We had to get a L4 in to do it as his "1 up" and I took the flag instead. :rolleyes: :D

A bit off topic but, many years ago one of the teams I did closed doors friendlies for played Santos Laguna....

me, and two hand picked pals for ars, ended up on a game more suited to WC final officials.

it was great fun and incredibly difficult.

Reactions: Kes
I am a bit confused what the documents means for assistants. As I read the document, so how can I a level 7 referee, be an AR in a friendly with two step 4 teams?

I am a bit confused what the documents means for assistants. As I read the document, so how can I a level 7 referee, be an AR in a friendly with two step 4 teams?
Because a level 7 can be an AR on a step 5 game, so one step up would be step 4 (or step 3 as 4 and 3 are officiated by the same level officials).

The table only covers referees, ARs are covered in the text as below.

At least one of the two Assistant Referees or the Fourth Official (where appointed) shall also be deemed to have the ability to Referee a team from the level of the uppermost competition level of the two competing teams. This is important to ensure that there is sufficient cover, should the match Referee be taken ill or become injured.

That is a bit vague, but the way to look at it is what would happen if the L3 referee went down on a step 3 or 4 league game. There are no 4th officials, so the most experienced L4 AR would take over, therefore it can be assumed L4s are deemed to have the ability to referee the game if two step 3 / 4 teams are playing. What they don't want is a L3 or L4 in the middle with two L7s on the line, as they are nowhere near the required level and experience to take over if the referee gets injured.

Because a level 7 can be an AR on a step 5 game, so one step up would be step 4 (or step 3 as 4 and 3 are officiated by the same level officials).

The table only covers referees, ARs are covered in the text as below.

At least one of the two Assistant Referees or the Fourth Official (where appointed) shall also be deemed to have the ability to Referee a team from the level of the uppermost competition level of the two competing teams. This is important to ensure that there is sufficient cover, should the match Referee be taken ill or become injured.

That is a bit vague, but the way to look at it is what would happen if the L3 referee went down on a step 3 or 4 league game. There are no 4th officials, so the most experienced L4 AR would take over, therefore it can be assumed L4s are deemed to have the ability to referee the game if two step 3 / 4 teams are playing. What they don't want is a L3 or L4 in the middle with two L7s on the line, as they are nowhere near the required level and experience to take over if the referee gets injured.
Well for that game though there was no level 4 on the line, my level was 7 and AR1 was level 6. So I think it was just cause they were short of refs

Back