A&H

When Saturday Comes? Are you refereeing or in the terraces

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little harsh, even at £35 you'll never get rich!

I know, but I'm sure you know what I mean. £35 for 2 hours away from home is better than £35 (or even £20) for 8 hours away from home. No-one will get rich from refereeing, the PGMOL SG1 referees probably make £100k per year but considering the players they are refereeing and what they are on even that is a pittance in comparison.

The Referee Store
Don't get me wrong, I'm not throwing my toys out of the pram and I'm not going to turn down the next one that comes along. But I didn't look up the fees in advance and was surprised that - given it was a national, FA-run competition - the fees were so low.

If that match was by my front door and I left on the final whistle, I would have been paid around £7/hour. Given that they appointed me to a match an hours drive away, the referee understandably wanted to leave some "getting lost" time and we did the usual post-match debrief, shower and schmoozing in the bar, it worked out at less than £3/hour. I'm really quite surprised that the idea of that being a problem if it's a regular occurrence surprises you!

It's on the basis that at the early rounds the clubs are low level and probably wouldn't pay much more than that if they had a league appointed assistant. They will very rarely, if ever, use officials from the same county as either club so it is inevitable that for FA appointments the travel will be more than for normal league games (exception is replays where the referee will come from another county but the home CFA will appoint the assistants).

Like I said earlier, I've been there and done it. Had I turned down that horrendous FA Vase trip from North London to Ipswich would I have got my promotion and gone onto the level I did? Who knows .. ?!

Did you have to wear makeup so the glare of the sun didn't reflect off your bonce and upset the TV audience?? :oops:

I did wonder what the difference was, but it is purely down to the level of referee. A televised game will always have at least a 2B as 4th official, so they have to compensate them more for what they are losing from their normal match fee.

I did lots of televised games as 4th official and they are a nightmare. You don't just have the managers in your ear you also have the TV producers and floor managers hassling you as well. Why do you think the commentators know who is coming on and going off at a sub before anyone else, it is because the floor manager is attached to the 4th official like a leach. They are also all over you if the referee plays more added time than expected as it kills their advertising schedule. They will also try and fish information as to why the referee has given a decision, obviously that is one you clamp your mouth firmly shut ..! Don't get me wrong, I loved the experience, but televised games were seriously hard work.

I know, but I'm sure you know what I mean. £35 for 2 hours away from home is better than £35 (or even £20) for 8 hours away from home. No-one will get rich from refereeing, the PGMOL SG1 referees probably make £100k per year but considering the players they are refereeing and what they are on even that is a pittance in comparison.
Quite right Rusty, but there is a vast differential even at grass roots between counties and leagues. Time there was a directive from the top setting minimum fees.

Unbelievable scenery so far, we're at a place North of Lake Garde, Trento I think, 145 euro a night and the food is stunning, almost proper 5 star! 4 course meal which would have fed half the members on here!! That's why I roll!!! :angel:

Only 2 this month for me and 3 on the line... I need to burn off the extra kg’s I put on during my holidays

Don’t remind me...promised myself that this year would be the year I stayed fully fit over summer 😂

Don’t remind me...promised myself that this year would be the year I stayed fully fit over summer 😂
I'm doing great north run so I have probably managed to get myself to my fittest levels aver after summer. But need to get back to specific training after next weekend

I'm doing great north run so I have probably managed to get myself to my fittest levels aver after summer. But need to get back to specific training after next weekend

Yeah such a good goal that - I’ve got the Oxford half marathon in a month and a half or so which was a good goal, but still need to keep stepping it up

I have tailed off since start of the season. Heavy going reffing two games a week and then running so much on top. But think Im pretty ready for it :) cant wait ton have it over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back