A&H

Where do you keep your cards, book etc ?

Book in my back pocket
Yellow Card in my left pocket, my pens are also clipped onto this pocket.
Red in my right pocket.
Sin-Bin yellow card in my top right of the shirt Incase of any sin-bin situations.

I'm left handed so find it easier to remember that my left hand is yellow.

The Referee Store
I keep my yellow (write on) in my shorts pocket. My book and red in my shirt pocket with a sharpie clipped on each pocket and a red and yellow in my left pocket for second cautions.
What write on cards do you use. Is it the RefsWorld skins?

I write name, number and time and offence. I don't show the card to the player, a la quick flash, just having it in my hand. So yes, I absolutely do follow exactly the correct procedure 😁

No Sir you are not.
Kes 1 - 0 JamesL. 😉

Yeah, we've had this one on here before. Everybody seems to have their own view on the best place or reason to have an assortment of cards spread out over a number of pocket locations, but to be honest, I could never really understand why?
I can explain my reasons but as you say it's different for everyone.

In almost all cases for cautions I am quick in making a decision and equally want the card out quick. With the whistle 'gripped' to my left hand, front right shirt pocket is the easiest place for yellow card to come out quick.

I usually want a bit of thinking time for red. Shirt pockets have velcro and take a bit of time to take the card out. That gives me the bit of extra time I need (not ideal for an occasional quick flash red). Also a bit more fiddling around if I have to take it out with my whistle hand so the right shirt pocket it is.

My wallet is a bit heavy. Used to have it in my left front shorts pocket. Annoyed me flopping around when running. Out of the two pockets left (back shorts or) front right shirt pocket is the more convenient.

I used to go yellow in shorts right and red in back but have recently moved that to ref shorts left.
I’ve never used a wallet or a notepad.
good ol refsix

OK, so everyone is doing it wrong :asshat:

Notebook & coin (no jangling) - Shorts Front Left
Yellow card - shorts - Front Right
Red card - shorts - Back Right
Spare yellow/red (+S7) - Top Left
Pen(s) - Clip On (High Viz as a deterrent!) - Top Left
Medicines/Tonics/Narcotics/Sweets/Fags - Top Right ;)

OK, so everyone is doing it wrong :asshat:

Notebook & coin (no jangling) - Shorts Front Left
Yellow card - shorts - Front Right
Red card - shorts - Back Right
Spare yellow/red (+S7) - Top Left
Pen(s) - Clip On (High Viz as a deterrent!) - Top Left
Medicines/Tonics/Narcotics/Sweets/Fags - Top Right ;)

Close enough BC. Better than @JamesL anyways ... 😉😁

I use a reusuable game card, so that goes in my left front shirt pocket.

Yellow card in my right front shirt pocket, red card in my right back shorts pocket.

In the last few weeks I experimented with putting my compact referee wallet (https://www.refereestore.com/b-d-compact-referee-set/ for an example) in my right front shirt pocket with my backup yellow and red cards behind the wallet and my main yellow card in front of the wallet. If I would have gone second yellow, I would then reach behind the wallet, pull both cards out, and then show yellow followed by red. I always have carried two yellows and two reds just for a backup, but then I thought of this. I had an event many years ago where I was doing a college match and showed yellow, then took too much time going to my back pocket for my red card. In that time, my AR1 started coming onto the field to make me aware I needed to send the player off and the opposing team started to react like I wasn't going to send the player off. I was, but I took too long to get my red card out.

But as others have said, do what feels comfortable and natural for you.

I had an event many years ago where I was doing a college match and showed yellow, then took too much time going to my back pocket for my red card. In that time, my AR1 started coming onto the field to make me aware I needed to send the player off and the opposing team started to react like I wasn't going to send the player off. I was, but I took too long to get my red card out.
That must have been awkward lol.

Personally i keep a wallet in my top left pocket with the cards out of the wallet but still in the pocket (for second cautions). Red in my top right, and yellow in the shorts right pocket. I was going to start putting the red into left shorts and take the yellow and red out of the front left into front right. I've also seen referees clip a record card to their yellow card with a pencil. Seems a good idea.

At the end of the day it's a personal preference, whatever you feel comfortable with stick to it!

Shorts right - YC, note card, pen
Shorts left - RC (especially for double YC reds)
Shorts back - spare RC
Shirt right - spare YC, coin (no jangling)
Shirt left - spare pen, pencil (never use either, still on my first pen!)

Yellow right short pocket. Red in back pocket and a red in the left short pocket (for second yellows) and a spare yellow in my top right pocket which I’ve never needed to use yet. I used to have a yellow in my book instead of my pocket, but my latest one is just too tight to hold my cards which is frustrating - I’ve ended up preferring having my yellow in my pocket as it’s less fiddly.

I’ve always thought when a referee goes to his back pocket, a red card is expected
I always kept the red in my back pocket as well, because I thought that was the assumption by the players. The ref instructor said, keeping it in her back pocket helps her when she is teetering in-between a red and a yellow. Keeping the red in her back pocket allows her to watch how they react as she is reaching to her back pocket to see if they show remorse. If they show remorse she sometimes reverses course and switches it to the yellow.

I always kept the red in my back pocket as well, because I thought that was the assumption by the players. The ref instructor said, keeping it in her back pocket helps her when she is teetering in-between a red and a yellow. Keeping the red in her back pocket allows her to watch how they react as she is reaching to her back pocket to see if they show remorse. If they show remorse she sometimes reverses course and switches it to the yellow.
Interesting tactic - not sure I'd fancy trying that though, could definitely invite comments saying you've bottled a red or something

But definitely, I've always got the expectation of a red when a referee reaches for their back pocket

Front right - Yellow write-on
Front left - red write-on
Top left - Book with spare cards and sharpie
Top right - spare pen, coin, extra whistle

Used to only use the notebook for cards but after I bottled a DOGSO-R (90th minuted and lopsided game) I switched to pockets. If my hand's in a pocket, I'm not retrieving it without the card. Also helps with diffusing situations if needed. Other times, when I need to take my time, I'll use the notebook but that's not been often.
Second yellows just also feel easier when using pockets, and if Lahoz can do it, why can't I :)

I think (and it's standard here) you've got to have a yellow in a pocket for a flash card at grassroots. It's such a useful tool.

At grassroots, being able to get a yellow out on the run as you diffuse a flashpoint is an incredibly important skill to master.

Do I understand though that in the UK, the whole isolate, name, number, address, shopping basket... then showing the card... or whatever the routine is... stops you doing this?

I think (and it's standard here) you've got to have a yellow in a pocket for a flash card at grassroots. It's such a useful tool.

At grassroots, being able to get a yellow out on the run as you diffuse a flashpoint is an incredibly important skill to master.

Do I understand though that in the UK, the whole isolate, name, number, address, shopping basket... then showing the card... or whatever the routine is... stops you doing this?

the protocol is expected to be followed in all but exceptional circumstances (upto you to decide what those are but assessors will reward you if used wisely and vice versa if used when not really required). i've never ever needed a flash yellow in 11 years of reffing and only needed a flash red 2 or 3 times

Most players I ref here in NL don't want the game to be slowed down and most assignors don't mind the procedure not being stuck to as long as the CR knows when to calm things down. Seems like the UK is a bit stuck in the older process, not as if the players don't know what they've done to warrant the YC

Back