A&H

Who supplies the flags?

As I’m in the same boat as the majority on here and always have my own flags with me the ref in question is correct by the LOTG as stated in law 5:

Compulsory equipment
Referees must have the following equipment:
• Whistle(s)
• Watch(es)
• Red and yellow cards
• Notebook (or other means of keeping a record of the match)

no mention of flags!
Most people have stated that he is correct in that the club should provide flags however WHY be reliant on someone else when it isn't necessary.

He has been having a running battle with Bobby Madeley for several months over many things, initially after Bobby (amongst others) raised some questions about Reuben's 'fantastic' ghost observer scheme. Questions that he has constantly failed to answer.

The Referee Store
I hear he also tells assistants not to give anything other than ball in and out and offsides? Whilst at the same time bemoaning that he and other BAME officials don't get promoted because observers favour non-BAME referees. No referee that routinely doesn't take flags to games because someone else might should never get beyond L7 let alone to L3 like he did.

He is proud of the fact his pre-match briefing for NARs is only 30 seconds long. "Everything in accordance with FA guidelines" is pretty much it.

Cambridgeshire FA provided flags, whistles, cards wallets lanyards, and a full kit. That was 4 years ago so things might have changed. I already had an FA appoved DBS and had a current safeguarding certificate. Cheapskates I had to buy my own boots!!!!! It aws great value and at the time they were even trying to source watches but I dont know if that came off. 6 match fees at youth level paid for that. But I would say that flags are a vital piece of matchday equipment and although aren't compulasry are pretty vital

I looked through my supply leagues rules and regulations and it states in there that the home club must provide Flags of a sufficient quality to be used.

I've never come across any referee asking the clubs for flags, nor would I expect to as the unwritten rule is that the referee provides them.

This radical ref guy seems to want to be making a statement to promote his own agenda by making a big deal out of it. How that impacts his own pathway further up the pyramid is anyone's guess!

I looked through my supply leagues rules and regulations and it states in there that the home club must provide Flags of a sufficient quality to be used.

I've never come across any referee asking the clubs for flags, nor would I expect to as the unwritten rule is that the referee provides them.

This radical ref guy seems to want to be making a statement to promote his own agenda by making a big deal out of it. How that impacts his own pathway further up the pyramid is anyone's guess!
Ditto. On step 6 league I ref on. Amazing.
£10 fine for not supplying them, too.

Well wherever he is right now, I'll bet his ears are burning. :D

He is proud of the fact his pre-match briefing for NARs is only 30 seconds long. "Everything in accordance with FA guidelines" is pretty much it.

I had one ref who just said "**** it, you're both qualified refs, you know what to do, if you see it flag it."

Personally I keep mine brief, I wouldn't be able to deal with 10 minute long sermons tbh, especially if I'm excited for the game as it is, too much just kills it.

I had one ref who just said "**** it, you're both qualified refs, you know what to do, if you see it flag it."

Personally I keep mine brief, I wouldn't be able to deal with 10 minute long sermons tbh, especially if I'm excited for the game as it is, too much just kills it.

On the supply league I'm on (currently as an AR), there is a massive gulf in experience in the AR's appointed. Some are very inexperienced referees and therefore need a longer briefing. Often as an AR referees will want ever so slightly different things, so it's worth spelling out the key elements. I think 3 or 4 minutes tops is probably about right.

On the supply league I'm on (currently as an AR), there is a massive gulf in experience in the AR's appointed. Some are very inexperienced referees and therefore need a longer briefing. Often as an AR referees will want ever so slightly different things, so it's worth spelling out the key elements. I think 3 or 4 minutes tops is probably about right.

Quite. If you're working with someone you don't know then it's common sense to have a chat. Else things can go wrong - we're not robots and quoting some 'FA guidelines' doesn't help anybody.

Less experienced refs can learn so much from their colleagues and to be so brazen is not helping anyone's development

I can not understand a ref who doesn't have flags with him. I am working in a team of three tonight and I can guarantee there will be at least 3 sets of flags, probably more as we all carry rubbish ones for Sunday mornings and use our nice ones for NARs
:devil:

Agree 100% - Flags are kept in your bag right? - so why on earth (much stronger exclamation more appropriate!) would you take them out before heading off to a match - they are not that heavy!:p

Agree 100% - Flags are kept in your bag right? - so why on earth (much stronger exclamation more appropriate!) would you take them out before heading off to a match - they are not that heavy!:p

Think you are missing the point here.

The referee in question is clear that according to the competition rules of the leagues he officiates in, they clearly state that it is the responsibility of the Home Team to provide flags of sufficient quality to the match officials. Therefore his instructions are that under no circumstances should the match officials be providing flags and whilst I'd bet that the AR who was there on time did have flags in his bag, he was told not to use them, in order to make a point.

Ultimately the referee is right in terms of competition rules, however I don't think it reflects well on him at all and it's an easy thing to not make an issue out of.

Reuben is adamant that he has never purchased a set of flags, he has only ever used ones supplied by the clubs, even when he was a level 3.

I have never been out with him but Bobby reckons his briefing has always been pretty much the same, even on the EPL with the same ARs -

Yes, he properly tore into Bobby Madley in a pretty outrageous way, he was pretty much implying that all observers are racist. Up until that point he was some kind of ambassador for Ref Support UK, they got rid of him after this and he is clearly a totally loose cannon with a very large chip on his shoulder.

Whatever people might think of Bobby as a referee, there is no is doubt he is someone who puts a lot of his own time into referee development and the attacks by Reuben Simon were condemned by the vast majority of referees responding on social media.
Whats that got to do with the OP?? ;) Can we keep it on topic please, far too many topics are hijacked by members taking threads off on a tangent ;)

Reuben is adamant that he has never purchased a set of flags, he has only ever used ones supplied by the clubs, even when he was a level 3.
he is also adamant that a % of all observers are racists and deliberately hold down marks for BAME referees, which is why there are so few at higher levels of the game.

His Twitter feed is interesting reading!

Interesting isn't exactly what I would call it lol.

Amazing to think that he is allowed to mentor young referees as well, so that is another bunch who will obviously be turning up for games without flags.

Often as an AR referees will want ever so slightly different things, so it's worth spelling out the key elements. I think 3 or 4 minutes tops is probably about right.

Oh absolutely. I agree, three or four minutes of covering the key stuff is vital. But not a seminar! When it goes on for too long, I can honestly never remember what point was brought up first, because it's just information overload.

Back