A&H

Worthing Vs Aveley

The Referee Store
I think part of the problem is that there are too many different stipulations and permutations in the laws of the game that can be difficult to recall in the heat of the moment. IFAB should simplify the laws so that there is only one outcome regardless of which type of offence the attacking team commits.

I think part of the problem is that there are too many different stipulations and permutations in the laws of the game that can be difficult to recall in the heat of the moment. IFAB should simplify the laws so that there is only one outcome regardless of which type of offence the attacking team commits.
Agree. The clip acted as a good reminder to check over all the permutations. There are plenty!

Agree. The clip acted as a good reminder to check over all the permutations. There are plenty!
While I would in general agree that IFAB has been making simple things more complicated lately, the PK infractions are really not that complicated. Certainly not something that a referee team in a professional game should have any trouble getting right in this scenario.

In my head I have it sorted as a reduction of 'opportunity' for the attacker of one level for thier offences.

For an offence by the attacking team:
- If they score, they restart is a reduction from goal to retake
- If they miss the reduction is to IFK to opposition.

For offences by the defending team, then there should be no detriment to the attacking team, so...
- if they miss, they get another pop at it
- goal stands f they score (obviously).

(off to double check again....)

While I would in general agree that IFAB has been making simple things more complicated lately, the PK infractions are really not that complicated. Certainly not something that a referee team in a professional game should have any trouble getting right in this scenario.
This is semi professional. At the level I assist at. Although there are still some full time teams at this level.
Be surprised if no appeal lodged and match not replayed.
Off to do some revision before my game on Saturday.

Didn't Keith Stroud infamously done the same mistake in a Championship game I recall? Goes to show it can even happen to the experienced refs on occasions like this.

Didn't Keith Stroud infamously done the same mistake in a Championship game I recall? Goes to show it can even happen to the experienced refs on occasions like this.
Correct. Newcastle went on to win the game 1-0.

Feel for the ref and AR, especially as it's early in the season. The ref would be vilified if he/she said 'hold on, I have the LOTG booklet on the sidelines, let me just clarify'. But other professions do it. I regularly consult a textbook when I am teaching, but referees are expected to have every single law in their head.

In my head I have it sorted as a reduction of 'opportunity' for the attacker of one level for thier offences.

For an offence by the attacking team:
- If they score, they restart is a reduction from goal to retake
- If they miss the reduction is to IFK to opposition.

For offences by the defending team, then there should be no detriment to the attacking team, so...
- if they miss, they get another pop at it
- goal stands f they score (obviously).

(off to double check again....)
The most critical twist (which is relatively new) is that offenses by the kicker (wrong kicker, kicked backwards, illegal feint) are an IFK even a goal is scored And even if the GK offends. (Getting the cautions and warnings right isn’t half as important as the restarts!)

I think he's seen attacking encroachment and is going for a retake initially which would have been correct, even though there was also a defender encroaching (a part of the law I don't agree with, if it is scored and both teams encroach their actions should cancel each other out and the goal stand). I could be wrong here as he could have been pointing at the encroaching player and then dropping the ball for an IDFK, as opposed to pointing for a retake and dropping the ball, suspect only he knows that.

His AR has then presumably called him over, either through shouting or buzzing. This has made me wonder if he told him that the keeper had also encroached, and that this means it should be an IDFK. That would still be wrong, as it is only if the taker and keeper offend at the same time that it is an IDFK. Alternatively, he could be telling the referee he was about to make the biggest clanger of his career and he chose to ignore the advice.

Either way, it is certainly going to be a three week rest for all three of them if there is an appeal, or even if the FA see the video.

Chants of 'You don't know what you're doing!' :oops:

Having a convoluted mess of a book provides the perfect means to get one Match Official relegated over another...
Probably, if faced with a LOTG Test, the 2B would know the answer. However, with 22 hyenas barking at you, he was no doubt startled and unable to think straight. The L3 on the line must have then compounded the confusion, by which point the other AR would've been psyched out of getting involved

Not as bad as Keith Stroud though. It took him and his Professional Team 5 minutes to decide on the restart and they still got it wrong, despite having iPads waved at them from the Newcastle TA

Going to print this out and stick in my ref wallet for the weekend, just in case, along with my sin bin card. Better to be safe than sorry
View attachment 6793
Sin bins are another thing which have been needlessly over-engineered. I bet errors in law happen every week around the country. It would have been so simple to treat temporary dismissals as a caution with the added punishment of 10 minutes out.

Sin bins are another thing which have been needlessly over-engineered. I bet errors in law happen every week around the country. It would have been so simple to treat temporary dismissals as a caution with the added punishment of 10 minutes out.
Yes, I had two on Sunday, as was having a sneaky look at the card with what to do if they come back on did it again (which I expected), or committed a yellow card offence! Luckily they didn't!

I totally agree on this. I guess the folks writing it thought it would be too harsh to sit out 10 min and be sitting on a yellow. But I agree they should have just kept it simple. (The adult league I play in does that for our playoffs--any caution sits for 5 min and the team plays short.)

The Ref is highly rated according to the word on my street
He was observed, so painful experience.... and some

Back