A&H

Open Age Would you have done the same?

Echoing others, I don't think 'idiot' on it's own would warrant a red card. A yellow, certainly - though if it's just between you and him, you could choose a stern word if you wanted.

The Referee Store
If an assistant wants a card for something said to him and you don't give it your name will spread like wildfire. Inter-referee gossip gets around far quicker than inter-team gossip.

Assistants don't request cards. They give the facts. The referee makes the decision.

My pre-match talk includes this scenario. The reason being is that each assistant might have different tolerance levels. I have to ensure the same tolerance for both teams.

I will protect my assistants, of course!

If an assistant wants a card for something said to him and you don't give it your name will spread like wildfire. Inter-referee gossip gets around far quicker than inter-team gossip.

Oh I'm with you. I cover the same scenario, I.e. go up or go down tell me what has happened. It was a challenging game and really quite nothing and for me the assistant was being touchy. So I pleased him and kept match control and respect for my whole team by managing it and getting an apology.

As an assistant you're there to assist the referee not insist or try to referee it from the line.

That's utter ********. If I'm a neutral assistant, I want a card and you don't give it unless you have a damn good reason for it (almost certainly you have a better view of a foul) I'm going to be having some words in the changing room. When it comes to dissent, 'your tolerance level, lads.' If their tolerance level is lower than mine, fine.

The assistant may well be there to assist you, but you are also there to protect them. They are helping you throughout a game, they are qualified referees - you should be ashamed.

That's utter ********. If I'm a neutral assistant, I want a card and you don't give it unless you have a damn good reason for it (almost certainly you have a better view of a foul) I'm going to be having some words in the changing room. When it comes to dissent, 'your tolerance level, lads.' If their tolerance level is lower than mine, fine.

The assistant may well be there to assist you, but you are also there to protect them. They are helping you throughout a game, they are qualified referees - you should be ashamed.
Wrong. The referee decides when to issue sanctions. Sure he can take advice from his assistants but is not obliged to act upon it.

Sorry but you're wrong.

I cautioned a player for Dissent yesterday. Easy one - he shouted at my NAR from 10 yards away following the (correct) flagging of a foul.

In a different temperature game, it might have been a stern talking to instead. That would be my call to make.

When I'm lining, I will be doing my best to stay in the tolerance zone of the referee. If he's giving every little push, so will I. If he's doing his best to let the game flow, I'm not going to flag those little tugs and pushes. If he's giving it back to players, I'm not going to totally destroy his match control by flagging for the same comments if they are made to me.

Fair enough. I've never heard the words highly unfair on a football pitch near me said by anyone. :p

What was the reaction when you asked for his name and informed him that you were sending him off?

I respect your tolerance level. I had an assistant recently who was called a similar word which was more slang by a player who he was moving back a yard to take a throw in. He told me he wanted him cautioned. I called over the player with the captain, and told the player to apologise to my assistant.

So, you ignored your assistants advice.....nice teamwork!

I cautioned a player for Dissent yesterday. Easy one - he shouted at my NAR from 10 yards away following the (correct) flagging of a foul.

In a different temperature game, it might have been a stern talking to instead. That would be my call to make.

When I'm lining, I will be doing my best to stay in the tolerance zone of the referee. If he's giving every little push, so will I. If he's doing his best to let the game flow, I'm not going to flag those little tugs and pushes. If he's giving it back to players, I'm not going to totally destroy his match control by flagging for the same comments if they are made to me.

And that is a perfect quote of how you should assist. Some people struggle with it, most are great.

So, you ignored your assistants advice.....nice teamwork!

No I didn't ignore my assistant, I listened to the facts and dealt with it appropriately.

Great team work I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
And that is a perfect quote of how you should assist. Some people struggle with it, most are great.

No I didn't ignore my assistant, I listened to the facts and dealt with it appropriately.

Great team work I think.

If the player had made the same comment to you, would have called the captain in and made the player apologise to you?

It's called undermining your team....the assistant didn't call you over for an apology, he called you over for a caution.....unless you had a fantastically cast iron reason for not going with it....you have just undermined them and will swiftly gain a reputation for not supporting your assistants.

LotG P87

The assistant referees help the referee to control the match in accordance with the Laws of the Game. They also assist the referee in all other matters involving the running of the match at the request and direction of the referee.

LotG P87

The assistant referees help the referee to control the match in accordance with the Laws of the Game. They also assist the referee in all other matters involving the running of the match at the request and direction of the referee.

So you're going to hide behind the letter of the law to sell your colleagues down the river?

It was weak refereeing and undermines the assistant.

So you're going to hide behind the letter of the law to sell your colleagues down the river?

It was weak refereeing and undermines the assistant.
No, on the rare occasions I have neutral assistants, I'm going to tell them pre-match I want to know that has happened, who said what, etc. then I will make a decision. They may not agree with that decision, but I lead the team and I'm happy to explain afterwards why I did what I did.

No trade nor flowing water is involved in this process.

Guys .....this scenario should be well covered pre match , if my assistant calls me over to deal with a player there will 100% be a card shown
if during our brief chat about any incident my assistant deems the offence as a red card then I'm afraid off he goes

Echoing others, I don't think 'idiot' on it's own would warrant a red card. A yellow, certainly - though if it's just between you and him, you could choose a stern word if you wanted.
struggling a bit with this ? back to the original post ....you are discussing with a player why you gave a decision a certain way...... he calls you an idiot ...rather over the top comment during a "discussion" whether he says idiot or f.....in idiot is pretty irrelevant in my eyes as the swearing is only emphasising the original point ! RED

Maybe I'm just in early season mode :)

If the player had made the same comment to you, would have called the captain in and made the player apologise to you?

It's called undermining your team....the assistant didn't call you over for an apology, he called you over for a caution.....unless you had a fantastically cast iron reason for not going with it....you have just undermined them and will swiftly gain a reputation for not supporting your assistants.

No. Close competitive game. I'd of not made an issue out of it, I wouldn't of let the player get the final say. Whether I was the assistant or referee.

As Referee, you have to be aware of the whole match control and consistency. I had an assistant from the first foul he gave wasn't consistent which immediately made me more aware of his impact. So, when I had a game where I was managing it well IMO with both clubs dealing with it well, I had two cautions at this point both for foul tackles when there could have been more for a less experienced referee at this level had I off followed my assistants request, I'd of ended up with a lot more cautions as he was the cause of a lot of the dissent he got. I did protect him. I deflected all attention onto me.

No. Close competitive game. I'd of not made an issue out of it, I wouldn't of let the player get the final say. Whether I was the assistant or referee.

As Referee, you have to be aware of the whole match control and consistency. I had an assistant from the first foul he gave wasn't consistent which immediately made me more aware of his impact. So, when I had a game where I was managing it well IMO with both clubs dealing with it well, I had two cautions at this point both for foul tackles when there could have been more for a less experienced referee at this level had I off followed my assistants request, I'd of ended up with a lot more cautions as he was the cause of a lot of the dissent he got. I did protect him. I deflected all attention onto me.

How can you judge consistency on the basis of the first foul? What do you compare it against?

Do you mean he was signalling for things that you didn't see as fouls?

How can you judge consistency on the basis of the first foul? What do you compare it against?

Do you mean he was signalling for things that you didn't see as fouls?

His first foul, not the first foul.

It was completely against my pre-match as it closer to me and not a foul in my opinion but I backed him on it.

Back