A&H

Open Age Would you have done the same?

His first foul, not the first foul.

It was completely against my pre-match as it closer to me and not a foul in my opinion but I backed him on it.

Still not making sense....he gave one foul that you didn't agree with so he is inconsistent? Compared to what exactly?

Dare I ask why you gave a fk when you had a better view and didn't see anything wrong with the challenge?

The Referee Store
Still not making sense....he gave one foul that you didn't agree with so he is inconsistent? Compared to what exactly?

Dare I ask why you gave a fk when you had a better view and didn't see anything wrong with the challenge?

Because he came in with a huge flag and it was midway through the first half and I was aware that I needed his support for the rest of the game. I didn't want to undermine him even though he had just undermined me.

It turns out he was wet behind the ears and a poor assistant referee.

For me you have to support your assistants all day long if I'm going over to my assistants it's one of 2 things book or bath if they can manage it I let them manage it

If I'm flagging the ref over, it's because someone has so badly insulted me i'm about to explode. Otherwise I'll deal with it myself as otherwise the poor old ref becomes a target for my sensitivity.

I don't enjoy being a lino, but I have to do it for my promo is season. Supporting the ref and not making yourself a target is very difficult. If you're over-sensitive then both you and the ref are going to be in for a hard time.

To the OP - I may have cautioned, depending on the player and the match situation. Unlikely to have been a straight red, but you are within your rights to do it. Send the report in with the exact words used and the County will let you know how severely they see it by the length of the ban handed out.

If I'm flagging the ref over, it's because someone has so badly insulted me i'm about to explode. Otherwise I'll deal with it myself as otherwise the poor old ref becomes a target for my sensitivity.

I don't enjoy being a lino, but I have to do it for my promo is season. Supporting the ref and not making yourself a target is very difficult. If you're over-sensitive then both you and the ref are going to be in for a hard time.

To the OP - I may have cautioned, depending on the player and the match situation. Unlikely to have been a straight red, but you are within your rights to do it. Send the report in with the exact words used and the County will let you know how severely they see it by the length of the ban handed out.
If you don't enjoy working as an AR how are you going to cope if you actually get promoted to Level 4 where 2/3 of your games (if not more) will be as an AR?

Being an AR is a completely different skill set. It's important to do what you can to enjoy it: It's an invaluable learning tool.

I'm always thinking to myself, in a positive way, "How did this referee get promoted?": Clearly there's something he is doing that pleases both assessors and clubs. In addition, exposure to the next level of football is important in your own preparation for promotion.

You're both right , and if I'm fortunate enough to get promoted, and then end up doing lines on Step4 fixtures, I certainly think I'll enjoy it more. The quality of the games I am doing and the lack of discipline towards me has been quite tiresome in recent months.

You're both right , and if I'm fortunate enough to get promoted, and then end up doing lines on Step4 fixtures, I certainly think I'll enjoy it more. The quality of the games I am doing and the lack of discipline towards me has been quite tiresome in recent months.
Poor you. Service before self.

If you aren't enjoying it now, what difference will running the line at Step 4 make? At the moment you are probably assisting at Step 5/6/7?

Blimey, I've just had a couple of bad games and haven't enjoyed it at all. Very few people enjoy lining as much as reffing, so it's hardly a massive revelation. And in my (very personal) case, doing lots of lines at L4 is a means to an end. Its like work,, I don't enjoy it but I have to do it to get to where I want to be.

I don't enjoy reffing sometimes either, a few tough games can do that to you. Maybe I should just give up.

Blimey, I've just had a couple of bad games and haven't enjoyed it at all. Very few people enjoy lining as much as reffing, so it's hardly a massive revelation. And in my (very personal) case, doing lots of lines at L4 is a means to an end. Its like work,, I don't enjoy it but I have to do it to get to where I want to be.

I don't enjoy reffing sometimes either, a few tough games can do that to you. Maybe I should just give up.
If you've got that far, you must have something about you, so bite the bullet and plod on. You're still making a difference even if you're not enjoying it.

Don't worry I was joking.
Use smilies. I've wasted a week's sympathy on you now ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one of these as AR with some good 15 year old boys on Sunday. White striker had some red mist and barged a player in the back behind the referee's back in the middle of a few very feisty tackles. My referee did not hear me or see my flag at the next break in play. And my oppo did not either. And I am loud! But at the following break in play, flag up, I got my ref over. I explained that white should be cautioned for barging behind his back. My ref didn't even question me. Called white straight over, card. Big blush from white. Unusual that it took a second break to act but very well done as a team. And good for the game too I think. I was pleasantly surprised by my ref's reaction. He was not so experienced and fluid but he handled it very well. Don't underestimate each other!

I had one of these as AR with some good 15 year old boys on Sunday. White striker had some red mist and barged a player in the back behind the referee's back in the middle of a few very feisty tackles. My referee did not hear me or see my flag at the next break in play. And my oppo did not either. And I am loud! But at the following break in play, flag up, I got my ref over. I explained that white should be cautioned for barging behind his back. My ref didn't even question me. Called white straight over, card. Big blush from white. Unusual that it took a second break to act but very well done as a team. And good for the game too I think. I was pleasantly surprised by my ref's reaction. He was not so experienced and fluid but he handled it very well. Don't underestimate each other!
Except that this was incorrect in law. If a referee is going to take disciplinary action he must take it at the next break in play. Once play restarted he could only speak to the player, not issue the caution.

Last edited:
Except that this was incorrect in law. If a referee is going to take disciplinary action he must take it at the next beak in play. Once play restarted he could only speak to the player, not issue the caution.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Do have a suggestion for how we could have done it differently?
I called my ref loudly and repeatedly by name at the next break in play with my flag up (no buzzers:()... but play was in the far corner and the next break in play was a throw in the far corner...

Your opposite AR let you down by not mirroring your flag and alerting the referee to your flag.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Do have a suggestion for how we could have done it differently?
I called my ref loudly and repeatedly by name at the next break in play with my flag up (no buzzers:()... but play was in the far corner and the next break in play was a throw in the far corner...
My suggestion would have been the same as Super Monkey's. It's just like your signal for a substitution not being seen by the referee, the other AR should contribute to the team and mirror your signal. Let's face it though, the player is never going to challenge the caution for being incorrect in law ... well not unless he knows who you are and can prove you're talking about the same game :)

Back