A&H

WSL - Full time referees???

lincs22

Supply League Observer
Staff member
Observer/Tutor
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63475315

Interest article about the WSL wanting full-time referees. They are saying that they don't want the WSL to be a "training ground for referees", but aren't all referees learning every game :wow:

Putting full-time referees in would mean that they are earning more than the players.....which would be a nice principal. But is it realistic for SG2 referees to do WSL games, or they suggesting that WSL has their own FT referees pool?

Will be interesting to hear anything from PGMOL and the FA on this.

The Referee Store
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63475315

Interest article about the WSL wanting full-time referees. They are saying that they don't want the WSL to be a "training ground for referees", but aren't all referees learning every game :wow:

Putting full-time referees in would mean that they are earning more than the players.....which would be a nice principal. But is it realistic for SG2 referees to do WSL games, or they suggesting that WSL has their own FT referees pool?

Will be interesting to hear anything from PGMOL and the FA on this.
Read the first few lines and dismissed the article as 'bleating'
She wants to look at the Men's Pro game if she thinks there's some fanciful elite standard of Refereeing out there that will negate such 'bleating'

The standard "someone gave a penalty aganst us, and there was an offside that i didn't think was, all refs hate us, make them pro" is it?

The standard "someone gave a penalty aganst us, and there was an offside that i didn't think was, all refs hate us, make them pro" is it?
Sounds like my game last Saturday..... how could you know exactly what happened!? Spooky

The obvious question would be who would be paying for it. There's hundreds of millions of pounds in the men's game, there isn't in the women's game, and the crowd attendances are a tiny fraction even with vastly lower ticket prices.

I suspect the demand would disappear very quickly if the clubs realised they would have to pay millions to fund it. For all it is improving all of the time, there just isn't that kind of money available in the women's game. Even if they used the existing SG1 officials, it would still cost a fortune as they'd have to increase the pool, plus that would go against the desire to have as many female officials as possible on WSL games.

Yep. Your summary is spot on.

“We didn’t get a call, refs suck. Full time refs and VAR will fix everything.”

Yes, they seem to think Full Time referees will.solve everything....
But look at what has been happening in the EPL with FT referee who are the best in the country. I bet Klopp doesn't think the SG1 are prefect 😊

The obvious question would be who would be paying for it. There's hundreds of millions of pounds in the men's game, there isn't in the women's game, and the crowd attendances are a tiny fraction even with vastly lower ticket prices.

I suspect the demand would disappear very quickly if the clubs realised they would have to pay millions to fund it. For all it is improving all of the time, there just isn't that kind of money available in the women's game. Even if they used the existing SG1 officials, it would still cost a fortune as they'd have to increase the pool, plus that would go against the desire to have as many female officials as possible on WSL games.
We've had the same issues with the NWSL in the United States. PRO (our version of PGMOL) assigns the NWSL as well, and we see a lot of the same complaints as what this article says. The big issue is that MLS is investing millions of dollars into PRO, while I believe the latest figure I read for NWSL's investment in PRO was something like $125,000 or something like that. So there is a fraction of the investment from the women's game into the referee organization.

If the WSL wants to increase the refereeing standards, they better be ready to pay for it. I'm guessing the brakes will quickly be put on that once they realize it's their money that will foster that investment. PGMOL really doesn't make any money on its own outside of MAYBE something from Nike (like PRO has with Capelli) for uniforms and Hublot for watches.

I think the WSL is funded partially by the FA, so it would be the FA which had to put money into the refereeing.

🤯

I think the WSL is funded partially by the FA, so it would be the FA which had to put money into the refereeing.

🤯
The FA is a not-for-profit organisation, therefore to pay money out it has to get money in. That's why PGMOL is significantly funded by the EPL.

If the WSL want professional referees they are going to have to pay for it, just like the EPL pay for it.

I think they need to look at something like GLT first. I've seen many decisions in the WSL and the Women's Championship which clearly have the ball over the line and the goal hasn't been awarded.

Not blaming any officials at all but the problem definitely lies with the funding. A few million pounds from the EPL and EFL could help the situation.

Take a look at how much has been pumped into the NWSL and then look back at the WSL, huge differences.

I think they need to look at something like GLT first. I've seen many decisions in the WSL and the Women's Championship which clearly have the ball over the line and the goal hasn't been awarded.

Not blaming any officials at all but the problem definitely lies with the funding. A few million pounds from the EPL and EFL could help the situation.

Take a look at how much has been pumped into the NWSL and then look back at the WSL, huge differences.
Well this issue here is that many of the WSL clubs aren't allowed in the stadiums of the clubs they play for 90% of the time. So you're looking at installing GLT at Crawley Town etc

Even GLT is expensive. Obviously when games are played at the main stadium the technology is there, but then you have the argument that you can't use it in some games but not others, certainly not games in the same division. But the majority of the games aren't at main stadiums, Arsenal play at Boreham Wood, Spurs at Leyton Orient, Liverpool at Tranmere, etc.

Then the officials have to be trained in it, it has to be regularly serviced by Hawkeye, has to be calibrated before every game, etc.

Back