A&H

Almost there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry @SM, I guess I was just surprised by this new-to-me interpretation of law 15. I'm far from convinced, but I guess this discussion isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
We were only debating opinions. Are we not allowed to even do that?!! Try putting some ABBA on or something.... ;) :D

dogs.jpg
Okay, let's try a bit of abba....

Abba had a song called "Kes needs to tone down the drama and behave quite a bit better when requested to do so, or SM will lose his sh!t and throw out a waterfall of warning points like a broken fruit machine", right?:D Second album maybe? ;) Catchy song title right there.

loving the picture by the way - you are the little dog in that picture mate? :p

The law explicitly states that the ball is delivered from above the head.
This is the main problem with the law as it is written - it doesn't explicitly say that the ball is delivered from above the head, it says that the player "delivers the ball from behind and over his head".
To me this means that the ball must start behind the player's head, must then go over his head and finally be released at some unspecified point but it could just as equally mean a whole number of other things.

A throw in is merely a way of restarting play, don't get too hung up on it.

As long it comes from behind and over the head, with both hands, and is a throw and not a drop, then it's all good.
Feet are more important than hands.......I'm more likely to give, and expect, a foul throw for a player balancing on one leg than I am for an ugly throwing movement.

This is the main problem with the law as it is written - it doesn't explicitly say that the ball is delivered from above the head, it says that the player "delivers the ball from behind and over his head".
To me this means that the ball must start behind the player's head, must then go over his head and finally be released at some unspecified point but it could just as equally mean a whole number of other things.

This ^^^^^^^

Abba had a song called "Kes needs to tone down the drama and behave quite a bit better when requested to do so, or SM will lose his sh!t and throw out a waterfall of warning points like a broken fruit machine", right?:D Second album maybe? ;) Catchy song title right there.

loving the picture by the way - you are the little dog in that picture mate? :p

To whom do I report Mod Oppression ? :rolleyes: :p

I'm not looking to get back into the argument with someone else, but this is what I was saying before. You're being hyper-literal there and if you apply that hyper-literal logic to the throw as a whole, there's nothing saying the throw has to be a single action, only that at some point the ball must pass over the head - suggesting that any other weird throw/drop/roll could then take place, as long as two hands are used.

Unless you're willing to accept a drop, a roll, or a shift of grip after the ball has moved over the head, then you have to accept a less-literal interpretation of the laws - which slightly counter-intuitively, leads to more foul throws.

That would appear to be two versions of the same post, posted at different times. How on earth have you managed that @GraemeS ?

:confused:

That would appear to be two versions of the same post, posted at different times. How on earth have you managed that @GraemeS ?

:confused:
Oooh, that's weird - think I clicked to update with Kes's last post at some point and it must have posted what I'd written at that point and then let me keep editing....

I had a GK on Sunday insisting that the 6-second rule did absolutely NOT apply if he caught the ball and threw himself to the ground. He was adamant that he could lie on floor for as long as he liked and the ref could only start counting from when he stood up. I sighed loudly at him.

Love a good debate, im with @Padfoot unless his feet are off the ground then crack on with it. @SM Limp Bizkit...Really!!!!!

I was asked on Saturday to watch the keeper as he is taking too many steps when kicking the ball from his hands, I replied with ah right I didn't realise I would have given an IDFK...........if it was 1990!!!!!!

:p

I've been looking through my ABBA collection all night and can't find this song anywhere ...

was it a b-side track @SM ?

I'm not looking to get back into the argument with someone else, but this is what I was saying before. You're being hyper-literal there and if you apply that hyper-literal logic to the throw as a whole, there's nothing saying the throw has to be a single action, only that at some point the ball must pass over the head - suggesting that any other weird throw/drop/roll could then take place, as long as two hands are used.

Unless you're willing to accept a drop, a roll, or a shift of grip after the ball has moved over the head, then you have to accept a less-literal interpretation of the laws - which slightly counter-intuitively, leads to more foul throws.
My point is that the law as written doesn't explicitly support either of our positions.

I'm not actually sure what you consider to be a correctly taken throw but if you are saying that the ball has to be both behind and above the head at the point of release then technically almost every throw with any power is incorrect as the ball will be released in front of the head.

For what it's worth, and it's not worth much as the law is unclear, the fact that the delivery has to start behind and then come over the head suggests one continously movement which would make your suggested alternatives illegal in addition to which the fact that it is called a throw - in means that I would disallow rolls and drops.

But, as others have said, usually the throw is just a simple method of restarting play and unless a player is gain an advantage by their method of throwing I am not too worried about the fine detail.

THIS:
A throw in is merely a way of restarting play, don't get too hung up on it.

As long it comes from behind and over the head, with both hands, and is a throw and not a drop, then it's all good.
Feet are more important than hands.......I'm more likely to give, and expect, a foul throw for a player balancing on one leg than I am for an ugly throwing movement.

I don't usually expect Padders to be the one to provide the pragmatic ultimate answer, but this really does make you continuing to debate the issue a little pointless. :D

Law 15 explicitly states that foul throws are only to be awarded when the thrower has previously p*ssed you off and you feel like showing how important you are.

Or

Procedure

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:

• face the field of play

• have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the

touchline

• throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point

where it left the field of play

For me the ball should be let go before it is in front of the head and it has to be above (rather than to the side or below) the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back